long range target shooting with a sharps replica

AL VT

I'm getting into this along with cowboy action shooting. I just bought a Tristar in 45-70 cal. and ordered their creedmoor sights. I'd like any tips or info you can give me. Thanks AL

I can't help you with any tips....but I shot a Shiloh Sharps "Montana Roughrider" model at distance and it was....ALOT....of fun. I still want one, bad.

Shiloh Sharps has a forum and you might be able find some information on there as well. Enjoy that rifle!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/

Mike Venturino did an article about long range shooting with replica sharps rifles several years ago. His article was based on information he got from shooting these replica big bore rilfes and tracking the shots with special radar units at the Yuma Gunnery range. As I recall he was wanting to prove or disprove if the shot reportedly made by Billy Dixon in the 1880's was possible. It was proven that it was possible As I recall the special radar units were tracking the bullets from these sharps rifles at over two thousand yards. The trajectorys were very impressive though somthing like sixty or eighty feet above line of sight at mid range for the longer shots I think I still have the Magazine around here somplace now I am goin to have to find and re read it.

Are you going to shoot black or smokeless powder? If you are going to shoot black powder try Swiss 1 1/2fg if Goex I use 2fg I don't compress the Swiss but compress the goex about .090 and use Walters vegtable fibre wads I use the .030. If you are going to shoot smokeless try 5744 and the Lyman Postell 535gr bullet is a good one to start with for black or smokeless loads lubed with SPG or another good BP lube.

My Shilo Sharps 45/70 with MVA Buffalo Soule longrange sight

muzzleloders018.jpg

P1000218.jpg

I'll be shooting smokeless powder. No reloads right now.I'll be working on that. the club holding the shoots just bought a new "flash" target. I'm looking at 405 gr. lead bullets. I'll have to try to get a picture of this gun up in a couple days ,but looks very much like yours. Mine has the 32" barrel. there is a big gun show coming up this month. I hope to find ammo there.

Holy crap, Rich44, that is one fine looking shootin' iron! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Tim

Here are a couple pictures of my Tristar. I have ordered the creedmoor sights but they have not came yet.
DSCN0908.jpg
sharps-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Al,
Maybe you can get a hold of Tom Selleck and find out what load he was using in Quigley Down Under. He was picking off buckets at about 10,000 yds. That horse kept running and running........ Sorry I couldn't help myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kinda thought that was a bit hard to buy when I saw it too!! I once thought I would time that scene on the movie, find somebody with a horse, let em run full out like they did and see how far it got in that same amount of time!! But then..I got over that thought and said it's just TV!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Last edited:
A good set of quality sights will make a big difference shooting the Sharps, the ones from the factory that come with them are usually crap, I have a rear vernier sight made by MVA that I bought from Mike Venturino, I put it on my Cimarron Billy Dixon model in 45-70 and it was like shooting a new gun ! Lots of good info on the SASS Wire as well, good luck and good shooting Pard!

I discussed it with the gunsmith and he said he would go with the creedmoor, so I did. My first shoot is 4/27. I hope to have all in Place by then! OH dogger, I have a problem with my Cimarron 1866!!less then 100 rds. fired and the loading laddle broke!! so what it does is lets 2 rounds in and jambs!! They (Cimarron) seems to care less. I ordered 2 replacement parts. at $30. ea!! If it goes again in another 100 rds. I'll get it fixed,and It will find a new home. It's been a week and I still don't have the parts.

Don't feel bad about Cimarron, I had a Henry in 44-40, the last four inches of barrel had straight riflings, no twist at all, and they wouldn't fix it or repair it, I sold it to a guy that just wanted it to hang over his fireplace !

Al
Nice looking rifle I second the MVA sight I have the MVA Buffalo Soule on my Shilo 45/70 and it will probably go to 1200 yrds I was hitting the Buffalo gong at Ridgeway Pa ( 970 yrds ) from the shooting line and had plenty of sight left. Whatever you do DON'T try blackpowder silohuete.

I have to look up Ridgeway,PA. Would love to try that!!Not sure where it would be from here. and I got Friends in PA , Gillette,PA, I got to see how far from there!!!
Dogger, I spent way to much for this Cimarron to hange it over the fireplace!! they will take care of it..Or I pay them a visit!!!mine is in 38 spl. when It works right it is outstanding to shoot. 85 yards is easy for it. The shooting club told me that once in a while as a bonus shot they will put a 100 yd. shot in 1 of the 4 scenerios they write up. but I'd really like to shoot my sharps over 500 yrds!!!

Bullet selection is important. Some of the heavier bullets work better for some guns. The .405's are available comercially, but if you shoot it a lot, and work up loads, you may as well start loading for it. A friend has a Quigley Sharps, and he reduced his groups more than 1/2 by seating the bullets just off the lands. The old soft vs hard will be delima for a while too. I always use a wad with either powder choice. Keeps the leading down and also leaves the bore lastly.
Chey Cast in Cheyenne, Wyoming, has a very good 494 gr Spitzer that I have used for years. Lots of grease groves and 1-20 mix. Great bullet!
With your new rifle it will be a pleasant experiance for years. Strive for 5 inch groups at 200yds. Then it will hold 20 at 500yds.

Pack

Sheriff Pack Wolf, SASS 31917

Back