.223 Bullet Weight for Coyotes

woodog

There is a debate on another list about appropriate .223 bullet weights for hunting coyotes. What do you .223 shooters prefer, 45gr, 55gr or ??? considering all other things equal (which is not the case of course). I'm not asking which is the best, just what you prefer - a lighter or heavier bullet and why. For the record I prefer a 55gr over a 45gr, but I can be convinced that I'm wrong.

Woodog

Byron did a great post on it a few months ago. If you do some searching, you'll find it. It was focussed on the heavier bullets.

Tony

I'm not knocking the heavier bullets, but after dealing with some big holes I started using the 36gr Garnes Grenade bullets. They have powdered copper and tin on the inside of a copper jacket. Since I've started using them, I've had no pass throughs. The only holes are tiny little holes from the copper jacket fragments. I'll be using them again this fall. M

I usually use 17&20 cals, but on rare occations where I do use a 223, I have used Sierra 55SBT's and Hornady 60gr VMax's.

Coyotes that got hit with these bullets have fallen over and died.

Quote:
I like the very simple and very reliable 55gr Sierra Gameking.

they don't have plastic tip's though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
Byron did a great post on it a few months ago. If you do some searching, you'll find it. It was focussed on the heavier bullets.Tony

Found it, thanks. Think I'll try some of those 60s Bryon is talking about.

SteveH

Quote:
Pretty hard to beat a good 55 grain bullet in the .223, it's just made for it. I prefer the 55 grain Nosler ballistic tip.

ChileRojo..i find that very interesting..those bullet's have shot fantastic for me in two different 223's..to be honest i'm so leary on frangible plastic tip,varmint style's of bullet's..i haven't had the gut's to try the nosler's on coyote's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gifperhap's the nosler might be a little tougher..i guess maybe i should give "em" a try..

Quote:
Quote:
Pretty hard to beat a good 55 grain bullet in the .223, it's just made for it. I prefer the 55 grain Nosler ballistic tip.

ChileRojo..i find that very interesting..those bullet's have shot fantastic for me in two different 223's..to be honest i'm so leary on frangible plastic tip,varmint style's of bullet's..i haven't had the gut's to try the nosler's on coyote's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gifperhap's the nosler might be a little tougher..i guess maybe i should give "em" a try..

The 55 grain Vmax has been unmatched in accuracy out of my bolt .223. Nothing else I have shot has even come close to the accuracy I get out of the 55 grain bullets. By the way my barrel is a 1in9 twist. Dave and Chile what is the twist of the rifles you use in .223 that you have found to shoot the 55's so well?

They are a great bullet Dave. I wish Quinton would post on this topic. He's a fur hunter,and kills far more coyotes in a year than me and Byron put together. He uses a 220 swift, which I believe he tops off with Nosler 55 grain ballistic tips? I don't want to speak out of school, but Im fairly sure thats his bullet of choice for that caliber and application....we'll see if he gives any sage advice.
The .223 is to big for my coyote killing, so I put mine away years ago, but when I used one, the 55 grain BT was all I used and it worked great, as long as you stayed off the shoulder, which is advisable for most any bullet of any caliber if a guy is saving fur.

I shoot factory 45 grain ammo. When I start reloading I'll use 50 grain Bullets. Coyotes here in california aint big enough to need a heavy bullet.

t/c223encore.

Back