Need Ford Mechanics help!

plumbob

Have a 2004 Ford Explorer with the V-8 in it. Has about 50,000 miles on it. Great vehicle. Here is the problem. This winter we had a pack rat get up under the hood, rip off all the firewall insulation, and make a nest on top of the intake with insulation and weeds. The only cut wires I found were going to the brake booster, they were not cut all the way through, just exposed the copper. Got the insurance to come and check it out, made a estimate, all that stuff.

Lately the car has been acting up on my wife, sometimes acting like it is going to run out of gas, bad gas mileage, but it never does it with me driving it.

Today is went like it was out of gas, the gas gauge went to empty, I had filled it up last night, and the check gauge light came on.

I plan on taking it to the dealership to get checked out. My question is, will they be able to find out anything that the pack rat messed up, or will it be a ongoing problem when new things keep popping up. If that happens I might be better off trading it in.

I usually work on my own vehicles, but this is something I want to dealership to mess with. Its the family car, the wife takes the baby to physical therapy twice a week, I need to make sure it is good to go no matter what it costs. Thanks

im not a full fledged mechanic but if it sat over the winter with gas in it the injectors could of shelacked over sounds like the same problem i had with my boat.

hope that helps

Its a FORD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Wait a minute I drive a Ford /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
Well just because my Dodge got stolen, and I can't get this truck stolen.

Wonder Why

But it does sound like bad gas or injector problem

Need to have it scanned if you cannot see anything obvious.
Try to get your hands on a good scanner...not the $50 at the auto parts store.

Somebody missed something. Check the wiring to the fuel module because the rat could have built a nest on top of the tank to and that is where the fuel module goes in. I say this because you say that it is acting like it is running out of fuel and the gauge drops to empty. That tells me that the fuel module(ie pump that moves fuel and float that shows fuel level all in one package in the tank)is going out. Also change the filter while you're at it. I replace these modules all of the time on Cheevy's and have changed two on Fords.

Back