Water/Wastewater Treatment Operators

Curt Barrett

Any of you fellas in this line of work hanging out on this board?

There is an opening with our local utility and I was wondering how you guys liked your job. What are some of the duties you are required to do? Definitely a change from the electrical trade but the money and benefits are attractive. Plus the job is alot closer to home for me.

Anyway, if you could share some of your likes/dislikes, and the scope of your job I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Curt

My company did some work in a wastewater plant and it turned stomachs for the first few hours everyday until we got used to the odors.

Will this job be industrial or municipal wastewater treatment? At one time I was as high as class II, but never went on all the way to class IV. I'm an engineer by education and career and at the time was working in an area that required at least a class II.

Even in the plant I work at now the class IV industrial wastewater is one of the highest paying hourly jobs.

Last edited:
My father owns several waste water treatment plants in Arizona. He has done this for 25+ years. At one time (before he sold a few to the state of AZ) his plants handled the waste water from the Arizona Prison in Florence, AZ. I used to work at the plant every single summer from 14 years old until 19. Interesting things we found in the prison waste water? Notes to other inmates quickly flushed down the toilet, drugs, string, small knifes, and the worst... human fingers.

What a coincidence at work today.  First thing I had to work on was the sewage pump system at the mill main office.  Everything in the control panel was in order and it appeared the the problem was with one of the tank float switches.  I helped one of the millwrights pop the top on the tank and we inspected the floats.  After cleaning the poop, corn and toilet paper off the floats, we tested them an found one was bad. It was a nasty job.  Has me wondering if this is something I want to do on a daily basis. Must be an omen.  lol! I've had cows and sheep crap all over me and it never bothered me but something about human poop is really disgusting to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Bill, this would be several small town municipal water treatment plants that are ran by the county public utility.  They refer to it as a "operator 1 position". The operator would have to help operate and maintain each of the plants. Whoever they hire will be required to obtain certifications  for water distribution manager within a year of being hired.  Responsibilities include operating and maintenance, light welding and metal work, plumbing and replacing water meter services,  electrical and mechanical troubleshooting. 

The pay and benefits are very good but but I'm just wondering if this is something I'll look forward to doing every day. lol!  I really like the job I have now and finally have worked my way into a position where I look forward to coming to work.  (except for today)  The pay isn't quite as high as the wastewater job but the electrical dept has it pretty cake most of the time. No poop to play in normally anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Carl, yeah, that is similar to the mental picture I have. lol! yuck!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Scott, I see you elected not to follow in the old mans footsteps. lol! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif  What did you think of working in those plants?

Thanks for the responses guys.  Appreciate it.

Curt

Curt,
I work at a plant and have for 26 years. We have recently hired 2 electricians due to all of the instrumentation we have added. The pay is probably less than you are making as an electrician but the benefits usually make up for it. I know a lot of people all over the state of Idaho and most make a great living and the work will always be there.lol

Curt, I don't think you can go wrong with it. So far I'm happy with it. I work here in the UPW/IW department for IM Flash which produces chips for flash memory. It's challenging but pays pretty good and with my schedule I have half the year off. Not a bad gig. PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks 24mileboy and Randy.

24mileboy, I do get the impression they are looking for somebody with electrical experience. One of the guys I spoke with commented on how there is alot more instrumentation involved now than in the past. You are right, it should be a steady job. lol!

Randy, sounds like you have a heck of a good deal going. 6 months off? That rocks!

I'm going to throw my app in today and see what happens. I can always turn it down if I decide it's not for me. That's if they even consider me for the job. lol!

Thanks guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Funny you guys should mention instrumentation and it being on the increase. I now work as an engineer designing process and process control systems. Instrumentation is one of my areas of expertise. If you are already into electrical work you might want to consider going instrumentation technician. Those guys make some pretty good $$ also.

My first job out of college was at an integrated paper mill and the instrumentation techs there started at about $22/hr back in the early 1990's.

Last edited:
That would be cool Bill. I'd love to go to school again for instumentation. Sounds like a great job. Probably easier than pulling 500 kcmil too. lol!

Good hunting

Back