CZ 550 FS 30-06 opinions?

blinddog

At a gun shop I stop at every once in a while they have a CZ 550 FS it has a full mannlicter style stock carved from some real nice walnut the checkering looks like it was done by hand as well. Something about this bolt action is calling to me. the sticker is 680 plus tax. I am tempted but know nothing about CZ I guess they are imported from Croatia of some where in the old Soviet Union. Can any one tell me what these rifles are as far a s quality? This one looks very good as far as wood to metal fit checkering and metalands stock finnish. This rilfe is in 30-06 I think it is a 1_10 Twist thats from the sales guy and he was not sure. I do not really need a 06 I have that nitch covered in 270 and 243 chamberings. But a 30 Cal is not really covered I jump from 270 up to 430 and 458 diameter bullets. I only have one other bolt action so I guess I have room I was thinking about an AR 10 or BLR for that spot but was not in any hurry to do it. Waht do you all think? This is not a varment gun by any streach, although I have used 06's and 308's for that in the past. This would be more Elk or Deer. But I have that pretty well covered, so any opinions will be appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CZ 550 is made in Czech. I have one with American style stock and 24" barrel. It is an excellent rifle. It has set trigger, which is scarily light.... less than 1 lb pull. It also has integral scope base, which is a plus. Mine shoots factory fodders into 2" groups at 100 yards day in and day out. With handloads it shrinks groups down to 1 1/4". I cannot find anything negative to say about it except for the blue finish, which is way too shiny, too pretty to take to the woods without feeling the pain. I wish it comes in stainless.

I have 7 CZ's (two 22's,17HMR,223,two 22-250's,308win)don't buy one if you'll get tired of a tack driver and affordable quality. If you buy one you'll be hooked! I know I'm a
"CZ" aholich. But thats just my opinion and you know they say about opinions! I would go for 308win if I was in the market for a 30 cal.

Thanks for the replies two out of two pluses is good I guess.I will not own an inaccurate rifle, thats why I traded off my last 06. While the 308 is a great chambering I prefer the 06 just because of the option of heavy bullets. 308 is maxed out at 180 I find the 06 is just getting good at 180 and still is acceptable at 150, 308 is optimized at 168 grn match bullets. I will most likely be adding that Bavairian style full stock to my safe. So much for me trying to minimize.
See a few years back we had a house fire and I lost all my rifles that were not Stainless all the blued ones were ruined due to the corrisive effects of smoke and water (under heat it becomes acid and eats steel.)
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif I have been replaceing them over time with the intend to make as much as possible with as few rifles as possible. So 45-70 for longer range brush and large animals (like Elk) a 44 Mag carbine shorter ranges and deer sized animals, 270 WSSM for long open shots on deer and my new 243WSSM AR for yotes, I am planning on a .223 or .204 in an Encore or somthing simalar or maybe another AR for Prarie Dog and other Varments /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif, and I just built an AR in 458 Socom because the round interests me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif. So far I have collected two lever actions 45-70 and 44ag one Bolt action Savage 270 WSM, and two semi auto AR's 243WSSM and 458 Socom, so to round out my gun safe I really need another Bolt action /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gifand two single shots Right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif(I hope that argument convinces my wife) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Last edited:
This is one of few really well made steel and wood rifles on the market. No plastic, one of best factory triggers on the market and excellent accuracy out of the box. There are three CZ's in my safe along with a bunch of Remingtons and will be more as time goes by. My next gun will be either a 550 full stock in the 6.5 by 55 or 9.3 by 62. The set trigger can be adjusted in the ounce range and the unset part in the pound range. Go for it.

Back