Sportsmans Warehouse big mistake

HighPlainsDrifter

It sometimes amazes me the decisions that coprporate executives make in the name of the bottom line. It seem that common sense no longer dictates good business and its all about squeazing every last penny of the almighty dollar.

Recently, Sportsmans Warehouse Corporate decided (effective 4-1-08) that they would no longer do any kind of layaways. They also decided that Outfitters and Military persons would no longer receive the discounts they had previously enjoyed. I would also guess that with these cuts, Sportsmans Warehouse will probably also reduce the amounts they give to the community and entities such as RMEF, Mule Deer Foundation, Ducks Unlimited, Turkey Foundation and many more. It floors me that the Corporate people never stop to think about the customers that they will drive away simply so then can increase their bottom line. If someone cant afford to buy a gun out right and Sportsmans does not have a lay away program, do they think the people are going to wait? I am thinking they will go to Cabelas, Bass Pro or some smaller sporting goods store and put the gun they want on lay away. How about the outfitters who probably spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in those stores annually? If I was an outfitter and you took away my discount, I would simply pick up the cataloge of the company who still does and do my shopping there. And our Military people. Is that the way Sportsmans thanks them for their service and sacrifice by pulling the measily 5% discount that they were getting? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

I really believed that Sportsmans Warehouse had a chance at making a run at Cabelas and Bass Pro. The Cabelas brothers have built an empire which started out as a very small, two man fly tying business. They did so utilizing a customer service and customer satisfaction approach that currently I feel is second to none. If anyone was ever going to take a run at them, I honestly believe they would have to make customer satisfaction job #1. Your percentage of profit and all that other money stuff doesnt mean squat if the customers wont come through the door or more important. If your not building a foundation of loyal, satisfied customers who return time and time again. Apparently, Sportsmans Warehouse has failed to recognize or adopt this concept. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I'm wondering if lay aways are really all that popular withthe easy availability of credit cards, instant purchase and pay later. I've done it, not all the time, but I've done it just the same. I've only laid away one gun and that was years ago.

Do they give a reason for removing the lay-away program? Is it cutting into their bottom line too much that it is not a program worth keeping? One good thing about the whole free-enterprise thing is that things usually will stay in place if they work. Not saying it is right, wrong, or otherwise to discontinue it but they would not have taken it away if it was working for them. Maybe it just does not fit their business model and if that drives customers away they they will go under and be replaced by someone who's model fits the customers needs. Just the nature of the beast.

There is such a thing as "Customer Good Will"/"Customer Service" that keeps customers coming back again, and again....

While the 'Age of Plastic' seems to have taken over commerce, there are those of us in the discretionary spending community that try to resist the credit lines and the lay-away programs provide a simple way to lock in a good deal on a 'time pay' basis without getting deeper in debt.

I've bought and sold on the 'lay away' program over the years and saved myself a bunch of interest as well as passing that savings onto someone buying from me. It's much better than having a potential buyer go to the ATM or bank for a cash withdrawal and then the bank taking their interest rate to 24% for the cash withdrawal...

I have 4 sportsman's here in Arizona. I also belong to a predator club with about 300 members. Alot of us use Berger bullets. The company us to carry a few of them, but then stopped all calibers. Two of the stores here carry skinning supplies ie. fleshing tools and stretchers wire and wood.
I was talking to the hunting manger about a month ago told him about the club, and he said that he would order about 6 boxes of bullets in .17 rem and the .224 in the grains that I told him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Come to find out that a lot of people have made the same request. I went in the other day to buy 2 boxes of .17 and i was told that they had received an e-mail the day before that sportsman's "WILL NOT" carry any of the Berger line. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Well this just blanked me off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif So I had emailed a tactful letter to the boys at corporate telling them that we (the club) will not be buying ANYTHING from their stores in the future and that we will be shopping from Bass Pro just 5 miles north of them and other places. We just wanted to keep our money close to home, but they don't give a darn (you know what I mean). So they can close their doors and go to you know where.

I HATE SPORTSMAN'S WHEREHOUSE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

Its not just Sportsmans. There are a lot of business's that are now geared to quantity instead quality and when that happens service goes out the window. Then they can't figure out why business starts dropping.

Quote:
Then they can't figure out why business starts dropping.

That is correct. Bottom line is that stocking levels and lay-aways are not rights given to the masses. If they do not satisfy the needs of the customer they will go the way of the Monkey Wards but they will be replaced by somebody who will satisfy those needs, and there will be. If you can get through to them in letters then great but if not another store will. This is not that big of a deal since it happens daily at all levels of business. It's a great system really. The consumer, as long as they keep their integrity and not give in, should always win this battle. It just may not be with the original company.

There are strong indications that SW is in trouble. Personally I am very sorry to see it happen.

IMHO, Cabela's and Bass Pro are clothing stores that happen to sell guns, ammo and reloading supplies. I never felt that way with SW. But then, maybe its the clothing stores that will make it.

I guess I never had that perspective of Cabelas. One look at one of their catalogs should dispell that feeling but thats just me. Also, if you have ever walked into a cabelas store like the one in Sydney, I could not imagine how you could feel that way.

And yes Doyle, that is the reason. Its cutting into their bottom line is what it amounts too. Sometimes though, that small cut into your bottom line is money well spent when you create a foundation of loyal customers. Its really not hard to develop loyal customers and when you can accomplish that, your business will flourish. Sometimes even that small price you paid into your bottom line will reap the dividends of happy, satisfied and loyal customers. Quite the opposite is true when you make the customer mad like bigdog1. Not only will he never return but chances are he will campaign his hatred of the place to his friends and family. Quite the opposite had that manager taken care of bigdog1 and his bullet request. Bigdog1 would have been a loyal customer who would tell everyone how he got what he needed from Sportsmans Warehouse. This word of mouth, whether its praise or ticked off is very powerful stuff. The Corporate people seem to forget that its the people in the trenches that make or break their business. Give managers and employees the power to give people what they want, when they want it and make them happy. Make them want to come back. If Corporate did this they would eventually reap what they sow. Make people mad, screw with them and never have what people need in stock and it wont be long before your windows are boarded shut. I just think they are making a huge mistake even though for them, in the big scheme of things, this was a small decision.

Quote:
And yes Doyle, that is the reason. Its cutting into their bottom line is what it amounts too. Sometimes though, that small cut into your bottom line is money well spent when you create a foundation of loyal customers. Its really not hard to develop loyal customers and when you can accomplish that, your business will flourish. Sometimes even that small price you paid into your bottom line will reap the dividends of happy, satisfied and loyal customers. Quite the opposite is true when you make the customer mad like bigdog1. Not only will he never return but chances are he will campaign his hatred of the place to his friends and family. Quite the opposite had that manager taken care of bigdog1 and his bullet request. Bigdog1 would have been a loyal customer who would tell everyone how he got what he needed from Sportsmans Warehouse. This word of mouth, whether its praise or ticked off is very powerful stuff. The Corporate people seem to forget that its the people in the trenches that make or break their business. Give managers and employees the power to give people what they want, when they want it and make them happy. Make them want to come back. If Corporate did this they would eventually reap what they sow. Make people mad, screw with them and never have what people need in stock and it wont be long before your windows are boarded shut. I just think they are making a huge mistake even though for them, in the big scheme of things, this was a small decision.

OK and so they will be replaced by somebody that will do it well. Somebody will be along to replace them and do it better. SW was not in business when I was born and likely they will not be in business when I die. Regardless of all this there have been people selling sporting goods before I was alive, during, and hopefully well after I am gone. I cannot change the names on the store fronts but it will work itself out.

I dont care about the layaway but not giving discount to the military people is sad Them boys fight for the freedom for them to own and run there store they could at least respect them enough to give them a discount rp

Quote:
I'm wondering if lay aways are really all that popular withthe easy availability of credit cards, instant purchase and pay later.

It's not surprizing that Sportsmans has their own credit card now. Not only will they get paid for what you buy but also the interest that they will get from the card itself.

Quote:
I dont care about the layaway but not giving discount to the military people is sad Them boys fight for the freedom for them to own and run there store they could at least respect them enough to give them a discount rp

I don't know much about Sportsmans, but being a Marine I do know that not even Bass Pro gives a military discount every day. There is a certain time frame every month that they offer a military discount.

You may or may not be surprised to learn how few places in this country actually do offer a military discount. I've been told NO a lot more than YES, so I don't think I would single out Sportsmans.

Well thank you all for this thread. I found a Sportsmen warehouse about an hours drive from my home. I see no point in driving up there and buying from them now. I have used lay a way in the past and it is a great thing for those that don't use or want plastic. I agree that our service men and women should get a discount.

I won't bother stopping there, I will just drive up to the new Cabela's in Lacey Washington (3 hours from home).

I'm good at boycotting places, so I will just put this one on my list of places to stay away from. The just lost a customer!

Quote:
I'm wondering if lay aways are really all that popular withthe easy availability of credit cards, instant purchase and pay later. I've done it, not all the time, but I've done it just the same. I've only laid away one gun and that was years ago.

Wyo, this is generally what happens. Sportsman's is not the only retailer getting out of the layaway program. They lose sales to people ready and willing to pay full price right now on items because they only have one left and it is sitting on a shelf with a 10% paid sticker on it.

Further, the discount programs for Sportsman's Warehouse are not a corporate decision. When I was working for the Sheriff's Dept. Sportsman's opened in Pocatello. I decided to go to work for them part time for the discount /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif. I talked to the Store Manager about a LE discount. He stated that it is not a company policy, but up the store manager to give LE or military discounts. Maybe see about talking with your store manager, or, maybe, this has changed to a Corporate decision.

In our neck of the woods, it's the Sportsman Warehouse (S.W.) or almost nothing at all. We have a few small gunshops around, but if you want variety the only place to go is the S.W. Up in phoenix there's a Cabelas and a Bass Pro, but the prices are much higher there than they are at S.W. S.W. will get my business unti something better comes along.

Quote:
It's not surprizing that Sportsmans has their own credit card now. Not only will they get paid for what you buy but also the interest that they will get from the card itself.

They don't own the bank that issues the card. It is issued by US Bank, meaning US Bank gets the interest. I'm sure that they get some kind of bonus for signing up customers, but the retailer is not going to get the profit from the bank's cards.

As for the prices, I have seen that all of the big 3 here in phoenix are pretty close in price. I will drive the extra 5 miles to B.P. or 55 miles to Cabellas just so I dont have to go to S.W. They blanked me off that bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

Quote:
There is a certain time frame every month that they offer a military discount.

Wouldn't be the 15 and the 31st, would it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Redhound80

Back