anyone ever wildcat a 7.62x39

Quote:
Quote:

I believe the parent case for the PPC cartridges is the
7.62x39.

Squeeze

That would be the 220 Russian.

Per Wiki:

The parent cartridge for the 6PPC is the .220 Russian, which in turn derives from the 7.62 x 39 mm.

Squeeze

ARS use to build a wildcat called a 25 boomer, it was a 7.62x39 based wildcat, the 5.45x39 is a 22 I believe, and I'm thinking there is a 4.85x39 also.
RR

Is there anything to gain from wildcatting the 7.63x39 down to a 22 cal. It sounds as though its been done but i have never heard much about it. Is it not all that?? The reason i am asking is that i picked up a bunch of it at the police firing range on sunday. It had my mind a spinning on what to do with it all. I am no big fan of the 7.62x39. To big and to slow for anything i might want to do with it. Lee

Quote:
Is there anything to gain from wildcatting the 7.63x39 down to a 22 cal. It sounds as though its been done but i have never heard much about it. Is it not all that?? The reason i am asking is that i picked up a bunch of it at the police firing range on sunday. It had my mind a spinning on what to do with it all. I am no big fan of the 7.62x39. To big and to slow for anything i might want to do with it. Lee

If you take that case to .22, you will end up with the .22ppc, or something so close as not to count for much. has also been shortened to a couple of versions. I may be biased, but if you are wanting something in this direction, I went to a 22br. a little more velocity, and if there is any difference in accuracy in a hunting rifle, it could not be much. My 22br is second only to a 6ppc br rifle in the accuracy department.
Barry

5.45x39 is a very effective and accurate round, it is a big improvement over the 7.62. The standard russian load runs 3000fps (faster than 5.56 ball ammo) It would be a great varmint rnd if the you could find .210 Lbullets and brass LOL. I've used a AK-74 for rabbit hunting and my brother killed a few yotes while using it when he was a tag-along , they were DRT.

I am going to try and use 308 sabots in some 7.62 x 39, so I can shoot .224 bullets out of my sks. Found some info on using the sabots in 7.62 x 39, but not much. Not hoping for much, but I ain't got anything better to do. Just thought you might be interested in this.

Back