Jeep longevity

Joe Bradshaw

I am thinking about picking up a 99 Jeep, hard top w/ auto/air...super clean little Jeep and owned by an older gentleman. Thing is, it has 130,000 very well preserved miled on it...it is the 4.0 6 cylinder....never been in the mud I don't believe as it is clean up underneath....can still see paint everywhere under it ( yes original paint) not detailed....the engine compartment is nice and the jeep is dry all underneath...but I wonder about the miles...

Anyone have any experience with the 4.0 Jeep as to how it stays together long term??

Joe

Hey Joe,

I have two wranglers a 2006 and a 1991 and had a 1999 until I got the 06. Have had no quality issues with any. The 91 has app. 165,000 which I put on the last 100k. Only had replace a manifold gasket. Depending on the price, I'd go for it. Jim

Btw: All have the 6 cyl.

Last edited:
i have a 98 with the 4 cylinder. it has 112k miles on it now, zero trouble, just routine maintaince. go for it, i think youll be happy you did.

Mine's a 85 CJ7 with the inline 6, 135,000 so far no problems other the the routine stuff belts/hoses etc., I guess the only trouble with mine is it takes me into places that I really shouldn't be going /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've got a buddy with the same year, same motor. We have been stationed together for the last 8 yrs, last two bases, he has never done anything to his. Seems good to him. Glad to see ya around Joe!

Joe, we have a 2001 Cherokee with the 4.0L engine. It has about 100,000 miles on it without a hiccup.

It pushes through the snow here in Colorado pretty good. From watching your winter this year that may be of concern to you now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Well, it would be my put-put car.....not my primary vehicle...would still have wife's Trailblazer and an '06 pick-up, 2 wheel drive...

Have an 82 CJ 7 that has the in line 6 in it when it gave up the ghost it had 267,000 very very hard miles miles on it. Gonna put another one in it and see if it will go the distance again!

Joe

Does the guy have the maintenance records? The high mileage doesn't bother me that much assuming regular oil changes were done. Be sure to check the running gear (4x4) thoroughly. Sounds like it is not hurt but if it wasn't used at all there could be seal and joint problems.

If you are friends with the guy you are buying it from, that's a big plus. If its someone unknown to you, you might consider taking it to a mechanic and having it checked out.

Good luck!

Semp

Joe I got a 97 from some good friends- it had 145,000 when they gave it to me 3 years ago, I drove it for work and put on 40,000 in a year and a half(185,000 ) Gave it to my #1 son, he BEAT the crap out of it and got another 18,000 on it, sad to say we had to put it down last month, she had a blown wrist pin on the #3 cyl and she slipped into a deep sleep.
I would buy another one and not be as kind to it as I was- one tough motor!!

Had 3 of them.
One 4 Cyl. & 2 4.0 6 cylinders....

All 3 were great!

Most people that get them just use them for a cool "car"..

I used 'em for what they were made for & they are tough!

Joe,

I've been driving my 1997 Wrangler with the 4 cylinder for the past 5 years or more. It's never given me a fit, except a waterpump. I drove it all the way to Oklahoma and back. The hills are tough on it at highway speed, but with a 4.0 you should be good to go.

You can't beat a jeep for turning radius and climbing power....and the resale is darn good on them...no matter what the age.

Tony

Put alot of weight on the compression test, and have it looked over good otherwise. Jeep has had real good luck with the 4.0 liter 6's. The 2.5 4cyl they've had lots more problems with, but it's still not bad. I had a harmonic balancer start to come apart on one, slowly cut a hole in the timing belt cover. I heard that was a common problem in that era, but that was a 1992 with a HO. The 4 liter is a solid engine. All depends on the maintenance up to this point.

Quote:
I am waaaay to old to be "cool"

No way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif You're the coolest geezer I know! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back