2 Shootouts, One Bad Guy

rockinbbar

I believe it was the 13th of this month that a deputy sheriff attempted to question a suspect in Ruidoso, NM that was wanted in two states & had a record in 11 states. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

The guy rushed the deputy, firing a handgun & striking the deputy 5 times. Once in the top of the head. No back-up was on the scene, & the guy got away.This was in Lincoln County, NM just to the north of Otero County where I live.

A huge manhunt encompassed the entire region to no avail.The deputy barely survived his wounds & will be a long time in getting back to his old self.

Part 2:
Two days ago, a caller called the Otero Sheriff's Dept. & said they thought the bad guy was riding a bike between Ruidoso & Cloudcroft, NM (Where my surveying office is).The deputy that responded found the guy & asked him to surrender. Sure enough, it's the same guy.He asked if the deputy he shot had died & stated that he would not be taken....With that, he rushed the deputy, as before, while reaching in his back pocket. Our Otero county deputy fired & killed the bad guy. A boxcutter was found in his pocket.It was only a matter of time until the guy would have killed someone for a car, or worse, invaded a home. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

My hat is off to the two deputy sheriff's in my area that faced this guy & finally put an end to a career criminal.There will be no state money spent on a trial, nor spent to jail him for the rest of his life.He got what he deserved. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Every now & then you can mark one up for the "Good Guys".We will all sleep better knowing this guys out of commission.

Barry

A military tactic is to advance upon your opponent. I wonder if he was ex military or just hell bent on killing him. Good for the deputy, less momney wasted in the court system too!

In all of the survival schools I've attended there is a session on 'Bladed Weapons', it's clearly demonstrated that an unprepared officer can easily be cut very badly if the suspect is experienced, aggressive, and within 21 (7yds) feet of the officer.

Even if you know the attack is coming, and the 'suspect' has a rubber knife for demonstration purposes, the officer usually suffers a potentially disabling wound before he can draw and fire a handgun.

I salute the deputies that exercised extreme caution effectively in the situation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Unfortunate the first Deputy wasn't able to do what the second Sheriff's Deputy did and was wounded. Terrible experience, prayers for his speedy recovery. Also for the deputy that was forced to shoot the perp. Sheriff's Deputies and sometimes Highway Patrol in rural areas just don't have the advantages of backup officers like most police officers that work within city limits with other officers near to them. Obvious the guy wasn't going back to the joint and was prepared to do whatever it took to anyone he ran across to stay out. He meet a fate that was too good for him IMHO.

Turtle, that distance has now been expanded to a full ten yards.

Back