The Duke

wishin4dogs

My grandfather once had what he calls the great priviledge of meeting John Wayne. Grandpa is retired Seattle PD, and during the filming of (I am almost positive it was the Shootist) one of his films in Seattle, the Duke went into the station to escape the throng of fans outside. I had heard from my dad before that Grandpa was one of the body guards during the making of this movie, but Grandpa just sent an email explaining that Duke had actually come in, put his feet on Grandpa's desk and talked with the officers for a while. Now, I don't have the closest relationship with my Grandpa, and I don't know as much about him as I should, but do I know that it is hard to earn his respect, and John Wayne has it!

In the email he just sent was an attachment, this clip from the Dean Martin Show. I know it sounds scripted, but it is admirable just the same.

John Wayne talking about his daughter

30 somthing years ago i met a strange little guy through a hunting buddy of mine.( long story) he took me to this little guys house and said, tom would like to see your guns! so we went to a back house and the room had a gun rack that went all the way around the room on the floor and half way on the walls! hundreds of winchesters of every style! in the corner was a coat rack that had a hat , vest and a western style holster with a pistol that had a yellow grip. looked just like the dukes!! he told me that johnwayne had given him that and most of the other guns there!!! yaaaa right!! he said to try on the pistol so i did and did all the things we did when we were kids!! fast draw , spinning and all th rest!! know this guy still and untill i saw the oct. 07 american rifleman did i belive what gary hess said!! i realy had the dukes pistol on!!!

P.S. that strange little fellow (gary hess) is taking care of my hunting buddys wife after he passed away! she has cancer and gary is there when ever she needs him!! all she needs is to call. doctor trips or get meds!! what ever hilda needs!! godbless that strange little fellow!!!

Back