AR Bull barrel Vs. standard?

traildigger

I've been saving up recently to make my first AR purchase. I have been eye balling the DPMS sweet 16, and that has been my plan. But in just the last day or two, I have been wondering about what the difference (other than weight) is between the bull barrel, and a standard AR type barrel. I'm mostly plannnig on coyotes, maybe bobcats, and some plinking. Going the 5.56/223 route. What's everyones take on the difference in the barrels? Accuracy, durability, etc.?

Its no accident that all the AR makers use a bull barrel on their varmint rifles. The US government uses bull barrels on their sniper rifles and the match shooters use the heaviest barrel the rules will allow. Also, you should consider the noise the shorter barrels produce, related to hearing loss from the damage muzzle blast can produce.

Get a 20 inch chrome lined barrel and you will have plenty of durability. If your barrel is free floated, you will have plenty of accuracy. There is no need to carry a heavy short barrel when you can put that weight into longer length and a thinner contour. You will suffer less muzzle blast, the rifle will perform much better (velocity, etc.) and you will have less weight to lug around while in the hunting field.

This is my suggestion. Best of luck to you in your selection.

By the way, my .221 Fireball (CZ 22inch barrel) has better bullet speed and is much quieter than my 16 inch AR with a 50grain bullet--not much louder than a .22 magnum rimfire.

Dan, you must be the guy everyone raves about on here? What's your take on fluting? Does this do anything other than lighten the barrel?

As to you decision on a barrel,,Just my 2 cents worth, but if I were going to build a calling/carry rifle, I would go with a standard or light weight contour as opposed to the bull barrel.

My bull barrels are basically for Action Competitions, or Prairie Dogs where the weight is not a problem and I will be shooting strings of 40-60 rounds in an unusually fast sequence and I need the least amount of distortion or at long ranges where the weight is a plus.

I have both and while the bull barrels excel where you are going to be shooting high number strings the extra weight in not really necessary in a hunting or plinking rifle.

When I'm out in the field or at the range for some practice, I generally will go with the lighter configuration, for ease of handling, if no other reason. I think you will find a 18-20" barrel will be very accurate in a 1/9 twist that will allow you to shoot a wide variety of ammo.

You can always add upgrades to your personal preference, once you get the basic rifle decisions made.

I have two AR15's, one 20" bull and the other a 16" bull. The 20" bull barrel has an alum. float tube on it and is heavy. A great gun if your shooting from a stand. The 16" bull barrel, while a little heavy, is my coyote rifle and I carry it in the field. The 16" is quiet noticeable in the noise department. I mean it is loud. Both rifles are accurate.

I think fluting may help in cooling the barrel somewhat. I wouldn't waste my money on it if that's the only reason I wanted it. It's best attribute is saving weight and still having a stiff barrel. A heavy/stiff barrel will always shoot more accurately, given both barrels are of equal quality. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I would also recommend the 20 inch barrel for a hunting application. I use both 16 and 20's, I prefer the 16 when I'm walking but the 20" is my preferred hunting setup. I carry muzzle down and the crown can take a beating on rocks if you are not careful. For a walk about rifle I would not recommend the heavy bull barrels, they tend to get heavier as the day wears on.

For a coyote gun you really don't need a fluted or heavy barreled rig. I would put the money into a good trigger and quality glass. You don't normally shoot 30 rounds on a stand anyway. Just a lightweight good shooter that will hold it's own for 3 or 4 rounds would serve you well. I'm talking about a MOA or less for the first few rounds fired in a semi rapid response to a runner. After that you are just wasting ammo. A good heavy 24" bull barrel would go nicely on those target or prairie dog days.

Quote:
The 16" bull barrel, while a little heavy, is my coyote rifle and I carry it in the field. The 16" is quiet noticeable in the noise department. I mean it is loud. Both rifles are accurate.

If you had the 20" fluted, it would weigh about the same as the 16" does now and be quieter than the 16". Just a thought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I'm using a 20" fluted D-Tech SUM and it's not at all bad to carry, even with a scope/mount. With the EOTech, it's very handy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
I sold my 20" bull-barrel upper last week, since I didn't see any logical use for it.

Quote:
I'm using a 20" fluted D-Tech SUM and it's not at all bad to carry, even with a scope/mount. With the EOTech, it's very handy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
I sold my 20" bull-barrel upper last week, since I didn't see any logical use for it.

Do you run that EOtech on your yote huntin setup?? How far out is it good for??

Quote:
Quote:

Do you run that EOtech on your yote huntin setup?? How far out is it good for??

Most 1 MOA Dot sight can be used out to 300 yards. The problem starts to arise when you need hold over, no reference marks on most Dot sights. If you use one of the 3 MOA or larger Dots they tend to cover the target at longer distances. I've used the Aimpoint Dot Sights and they are great in the field.

Wow, thank you all for all your input. So much advice, now I'm totally screwed!! HAHA..I'm sure that wichever route I end up going, I'll be happy. I'm still fairly torn. I'm kinda stuck on a 16" so I'm now looking at the DPMS sweet16 still, the DPMS Lo-Pro Classic, and also the DPMS Panther Carbine A2. Anyone have any input on the Carbine? If I went that route, I'm thinking chrome lined bore and chamber in 4140 chrome-moly steel, and the Cryo-accurizing? Keep in mind, that I'm working with a somewhat limited budget here....trying to stay under a grand as this is my first AR, and I'm just wanting to get into the coyotes as well. Also, I've already got an ok scope, with a Bausch & Lomb elite 3000 in 3-9x40. Thanks again for everyones input.

I picked up a new 16" DPMS Lo-Pro today at the Gun Show for $650 cash. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Its not that heavy with the bull bbl but its pretty plain jane and the trigger is horrible. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif I may try to upgrade some things and cammo it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
DSCF4605.jpg

DSCF4604.jpg

rock river 875 shipped. Its the best of both worlds. It has the national match barrel. Not to heavy not to light. 20" tack driver!! 3/4" guarantee. Are you getting tiered of me yet. I dont mean to be a pain in the butt. It is a wonderful rifle however. Dtech also makes one heck of a rifle in your price range. Call him up and tell him you want a semi custom. Lee

Chrome lined barrel is not the way to go, unless you plan on shooting a lot of rapid fire and getting the barrel really hot. Chrome lining helps wear in those conditions but is a hinderance to accuracy.

Quote:
Chrome lined barrel is not the way to go, unless you plan on shooting a lot of rapid fire and getting the barrel really hot.

That's true, but I've shot some chrome-lined barrels that will break a clay pigeon every time at 100 yards, and that's better than the average guy needs for a coyote rifle. For a long-range tack driver, you don't want chrome in your bore, I agree.

nwvh longhair has it right. To my understanding chrome lined bores are not as accurate. It has to do with getting the chrome placed evenly in the barrel. I am no expert by a long shot, but getting the chrome evenly distributed in the barrel is almost impossible. That causes variations in the barrel and that effects accuracy. I do know a couple of fellas that have chrome lined barrels, and there guns shoot pretty well. But not near as well as my stainless wilson barrel, non chromed. I hope i am not giving false info. please advise,Lee

The difference between a chrome/non-chrome barrel is, what 1/4-1/2" or so? That makes zero difference in a hunting situation.

Unless it is a benchrest rifle then I see no reason NOT to go with the chrome barrel unless there is a major price difference.

Back