Popcorn

I.O.N.Doyle

I know this is a bit of a light topic but I really enjoy my popcorn and my old maker is about done for. It is about a circa 1978 hot oil popper and the lid is now cracked and I doubt it could be replaced and if it could it would probably cost more than a new popper. The question is what do any of you popcorn junkies use for popping with the best flavor? I will say though that I do not like microwavable corn nor the hot air kind. Also I don't need anything that adds the butter while it pops, I still like to ladle my own on there.

I'm right there w/ you when it comes to popcorn. Growing up as a kid, EVERY Sunday evening our dinner was popcorn, cheese, and fruit, it was a tradition.

I use Orville's butter flavored oil. You wanna cream of the crop popper, do a search for ATOM popcorn poppers. Don't know if they're still in production, but they are the "bee's knees". My uncle wears one out every couple years. They used to be made in Fredonia, KS, not far from where I grew up.

I grew up popping it the old fashioned way, also, with a popper that was as old as the hills even when I was a kid in the late 60's.

We used either Wesson or Crisco, and those piles of popcorn still tasted better in my opinion, than anything today. Kind of like charcoaling vs. a gas grill.

We would melt some homemade butter over the top, and I can still close my eyes and smell the aroma.....

Tim

You know timb I may just go back to popping in a pot, your right, the flavor is so much better. This microwave stuff doesn't touch it. My two favorite (and simple) mixtures are:

1) Tons of real butter, salt, and parmesean cheese.
2) Tons of real butter, salt, and chile powder.

Lot of other ways to do it, especially with garlic and onion powders, but popcorn is the forgotten sin these days.

REAL BUTTER ROCKS. OUT.

Back