AMEN - Judge

I'm of a different opinion... If they accosted a citizen on the public street with a gun, they need jail time...

I know it was stated that they "were part of a group" and it's a little unclear what their total involvement was, but since they told the two victims to "stay off the block", it sounds like "gang activity" to me...

Not arguing with the judge's effort, just on observation of the initial intent of the suspects...

Turtle, in concept, I agree with you.

However, that starts another conversation on what the taxpayers are prepared to fork up (and can fork up).

Depending upon where you live and the level of custody, it costs the taxpayers anywhere from $50-$80 per day to house an inmate. So when a judge hands down a verdict to send somebody off to prison for 5 years, he has just presented a bill to the taxpayers for $100,000-$130,000.

Once again, jails and prisons in this country, are bulging at the seams. California is embarking on a $7.4 billion expansion program.

I too, am a "lock 'em up, throw away the key" sort, but where are we going? How much are we prepared to pay? And, are we getting what we are paying for?

There are a lot of folks out there, that are a whole lot smarter than I, who don't have the answer either.

The language barrier should have been overcome when they applied for citizenship. If they didn't apply and are not citizens, they need to be deported to a prison where their language is prevalent. Learning english will only teach them to mug you in english. It's a shame they didn't try that on a more prepared armed citizen and get the punishment they deserved /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Quote:
Depending upon where you live and the level of custody, it costs the taxpayers anywhere from $50-$80 per day to house an inmate. So when a judge hands down a verdict to send somebody off to prison for 5 years, he has just presented a bill to the taxpayers for $100,000-$130,000. Once again, jails and prisons in this country, are bulging at the seams.

This is where we should use NAFTA. Let bill inhumane jails in Mexico and South America and hire cheap labor to guard them.

Realize that is particually tounge cheek

Quote:
Quote:
Depending upon where you live and the level of custody, it costs the taxpayers anywhere from $50-$80 per day to house an inmate. So when a judge hands down a verdict to send somebody off to prison for 5 years, he has just presented a bill to the taxpayers for $100,000-$130,000. Once again, jails and prisons in this country, are bulging at the seams.

This is where we should use NAFTA. Let bill inhumane jails in Mexico and South America and hire cheap labor to guard them.

Realize that is particually tounge cheek

Tarry, unfortunately our correctional system (that in itself is a ridiculous euphemism) in this country has gone "wacko".

As a project manager, I've been involved in the construction of several large prisons and jails around the country.

On one such project, in a land far-away, we were building a 600 bed addition to an existing jail. We were building under a court order whereby a judge was appointed to watch out for inmate's rights during the expansion. We were so under the gun for time we wanted to lengthen the work day through over-time and double shifting. We couldn't do it.

Why you ask? The judge interpreted the order to include a provision whereby every inmate scheduled for trial the following day had to be "guaranteed the opportunity of 10 hours undisturbed sleep". According to the judge, any construction work after 6:00PM would have violated the order.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

I don't know about you but if I get 6 hours of undisturbed sleep I think I'm doing great. But then, I'm not protected by a court order.

One of the attorneys, Ferris Webby, suggested that the ruling was good for his client, Guzman-Mateo.

"My client is happy," Webby said. "I think it's going to help him."

well maybe this guy has a little bit of grey matter in his skull and sees this as an opportunity to get his act together.

Back