new rifle

lizard0017

finaly got my 22-250, not zeroed yet, i have an area where i can shoot anywhere from 100 yards to 400 yadrs, what would be a good zero at 100, i was thinkin like 1 1/2 to 2 inches high at 100, by the way its a savage with a 26 in heavy barrel, should be a tack driver at 100 yards, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I usually put mine right under an inch high at 100 yards and that puts me right on at 200 yards, this is also with 50 grain v-max's. It will vary a little bit with diffrent kinds of bullets. If you check out winchesters web site it has all there bullets and trajectories listed.

What scope are you going to have on it? Reason I ask, if you use the 4.5 X 14 leupold or similar with the varmint reticles, you will need to sight it in at 200 or the reticles will be useless.
If not using the above, with the 22-250, there isn't much difference in 100 and 200 so I would just sight it in a 200 if you have plenty of those shots. THen it is a slight adjust at 300 and you might be 1"-1.5" high at 100.

Have fun sighting it in.

I like my rifles sighted in at 200 yards but 2 of them also have the balistic plex reticle in them. But I also hunt here in the west where 150-200 yard shots are semi frequently presented to me. And even if the rifle is sighted in at 200 and the dog is at 100 the adjustment is little to none. Just my preference.

Go to this site -- Big Game Info -- and use the ballistics calculator. If you know all of the info from the ammo you will be using it will give you a very good idea of your bullet drop. Make sure that you find the BC and the correct fps of your loads as this will make a huge difference.

This will not be exact, but it is the closest one I have found to date.

Have fun sighting in, and let us know how it goes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Sounds like we use the same rifle.....12FV .22-250. I shoot 53gr Sierra Match King bullets ahead of 38.5grs of H380. Mine is zeroed one inch high at 100yds. This puts it dead-on at 200. I'm thinking that I'll set it at 1.5 inches high at 100yds from now on.

And yes....that gun IS a tack driver with the right load. With the loads that I mentioned, I am shooting .5 to.8 inch groups at 100 yds.

Back