Colorado Wildlife Commission to ban Varmint hunting

VarminterCO

Gentlemen,

I am going around to the forums to notify us in the community that the Colorado Wildlife Commission is seriously considering banning varmint hunting in CO. On their website it states: "a citizen petition was introduced for banning the shooting of prairie dogs."

http://wildlife.state.co.us/WildlifeCommission/

I have been in touch with the Commissioners (Roy McAnally & Dennis G. Buechler) about this.

I can only ask that residents of CO act quickly and explain the situation to the commission. As it is now, they view it as live 'target practice' which they find "reprehensible in every aspect". They have already succeeded in getting Sportsman's Warehouse to pull many "Varmint Hunting' videos from it's shelves.

The petition can be viewed here. Your help is crucial at this moment would be greatly appreciated.

-Michael

"and explain the situation to the commission." would be the rest of the sentence.

If you disagree with the assertion of the commission, generally the best course of action would be to make your views heard. Maybe you write / call the commission (as I have). Maybe you write / call Sportsman's Warehouse (as I have). Maybe you go to a meeting (I haven't). Maybe you dump your tea in to the ocean? (Umm, no)

I'm not in the position to tell anyone what they should do, we're Americans, we (hopefully) learned the process of dealing with elected officials many many (many?) years ago.

the three types of pds found in CO...

Coinsidently the same state pays to have their own leases poisoned which one could argue puts a much broader burden on predatory dependent species. No mention of the effects pds have on farm land, no mention of their potential threat to other animals from their inherent plague issues. Obviously lacking "the whole story" which apparently is not a requirement at DU.

I am real big on facts.......they are big on avoiding facts and making up their own using short exerpts found in various texts.

Quote:

I am real big on facts.......they are big on avoiding facts and making up their own using short exerpts found in various texts.

Found the same thing in my emails to the commissioners. I am shocked how one sided a debate they have when faced with questions like "If there was a rat in your house, what would you do" or "Is this a better alternative than having a land owner gas them".

Tomorrow evening I'm headed out to eliminate a whole bunch of them from some farm fields. I am assuming that if I do this under the premise that-

I will get no joy
can't record it
can't laugh about it on film
act as a responsible shooter
keep it low key and avoid letting any non-hunter treehuggers know about it

that I will not have any issues and won't suffer their wrath.

No prob....do it all the time...except for the 'no joy' part.

Quote:
Does this proposed ban apply to public land only, or does it also trample on landowners rights?

All lands, it outlaws the hunting of prairie dogs period, says the state should humanly relocate them.

I think the least of the problems is some tree-hugger making wacky proposals, but that the Wildlife Commission going along with it, going as far as to personally write Sportsman's Warehouse! Makes my head spin.

My view is that we have a two stage problem here.

Of course the first action is to stop this potential ban on varmint shooting. It's crazy.

Win, lose or draw, the second action, and maybe the most important action is, "how the hell did we get tree-huggers on the DOW board"? We MUST get this corrected. My assumption is that the commissioners are appointees of the Governor. If so, we need to bring an insurmountable amount of pressure to bear on that office.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

I agree with Claimbuster. Here is a link on the Wildlife Commission http://wildlife.state.co.us/WildlifeCommission/About/
What I can't see with the groups they appoint from, there is only one that could be aganst varminting,(wildlife organizations) and depending where they find the three public at large from. At the bottom of wildlife commission page there's a link to send your views.
Isn't it a 1st Ammendment thing when you try to stop someone from seeing a dvd? Who gave the Wildlife Commission the power to ask SW not to sell varminting dvds. On the other hand it could be good, to keep out of public at large hands to use it against us more than already.

Hey, race4hills,

Thanks for the homework. I'm going to spend a little time thinking about this. The goal being, we have to send a strong message to the commission reminding them who it is they work for.

I agree whole heartedly, I livid that the two members on the commission that I have been able to reach (Roy McAnally & Dennis Buechler) have told me in no certain terms that they find the shooting of prairie dogs 'reprehensible' - whatever we can do to get the commission more in line with our needs, let me know!

This must be a retaliatory strike by the anti's due to the delisting of the black-tailed PD's. Had no idea this was even going on.

We are all aware of what PD's do to grasslands, but have any of you seen what they have done to Fort Carson?

The DOW should be able to protect the "Damage Control" clause for private land for Ag purposes if nothing else, but I will join in opposing this rampant stupidity!!

Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Quote:
Does this proposed ban apply to public land only, or does it also trample on landowners rights?

All lands, it outlaws the hunting of prairie dogs period, says the state should humanly relocate them.

I think the least of the problems is some tree-hugger making wacky proposals, but that the Wildlife Commission going along with it, going as far as to personally write Sportsman's Warehouse! Makes my head spin.

And which one of these dipchits forks over the same amount of money to the DOW each year that you and I do to accomplish such a task?

Better yet, where are you going to relocate them to????

These idiots are obviously out of touch with how this all pans out. I am clearly not a biologist, but it seems to me that the prairie rats overpopulate and decimate the vegetation to bare dirt. They expand their colony and eat every organic material down to the roots. Massive soil erosion takes place, then they all get the plague and die.

Sport hunting does not even seem to effect this process. Only poisoning seems to work. I have melted the barrel out of a couple of guns, with death tolls in the hundreds on a given shoot. Yet when you come back a week later there appears to be no difference in the population.

What of the cattle? Are they oblivious to the long term effect on quality grazing? Especially when we are just coming out of a drought?

I'll speak up!

We can't give this up like we did the spring bear hunt!!

(even though that was undermined by dishonest propaganda!)

I read a write up a few years back in a newspaper about the vacuum relocation process. They did an interview with the owner of one such service. He said that maybe 5% of all p-dogs sucked out of a hole and moved actually survive the process.

Sounds like this is what they ought to do and then relocate them to the "Guardians" yards so they can tend to the little buggers for a few years. Oh, they multiply that fast? I didn't know that. How do I get rid of them now. They are taking over everything and the crap is getting all over my carpet. They have completly wiped out my beautiful lawn and are starting on my lovely flower garden. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Wouldnt you give anything to see that played out?? I would. And then I would ask them if they wanted the cleanup filmed for future reference to any more stupid ideas they might have. May even offer the use of a rifle to help them out.

From what I understand the same group from that press release on pressuring the Fed are the same one proposing the bill to the wildlife commission, and the ones who got SW to pull varmint hunting videos from their shelves. To me, they sound scary organized.

Wanted to add this from the DOW:

"Most of the prairie dog hunting I'm aware of is landowners making sure they're not causing problems," said DOW spokesman Tyler Baskfield. "If I had to categorize that crowd (who glorify shooting the creatures), I'd say it's a small, small subculture. ... Most sportsmen would have an issue with that being called hunting." (NOTE THE ATTEMPT TO DIVIDE AND CONQUER)

We are a small sub-culture? Ouch.

Back