Playing with Camo Paint on AR15

rockinbbar

I've been painting rifles for many years now.

On bolt actions, I generally just paint the stock. I've tried to add colors that blend well in a certain environment that can be used in that environment all year.

Now the kicker!
I got an AR15 for coyote calling. I was impressed with it's accuracy! In fact I kick myself for not getting into the AR rifles long ago. (I really am not much of the semi-auto black-gun type...I'm reformed on that position now)

So, when you have an AR15, you face a whole new ballgame as far as painting camo on the rifle.
First, mine is a custom AR w/ a 24" bbl that is stainless steel. (Bright for calling, in my opinion.)

Plus, the rifle itself is not much to look at in the raw. (Black)

I could see all sorts of possibilities with painting the entire rifle. Much the way the Bushmaster & Rem. R-15's are done.
To me this makes the rifle much more comfortable while calling. The rifle DOES stick out while calling, so why not camo the entire AR?

The first attempt at doing this type work was done in my tried & true method of giving the rifle a base coat, the using branch stencils to add color & leafy texture to the outline.
AR-YOTE.jpg

I hunted with the rifle like this for the season, but I wasn't quite satisfied with the overall appearance of the AR.
I began to contemplate the area I was hunting, whi=ch is mostly very desert. On top of that, the time calling is mostly during the winter.

The vegitation & dirt are mostlt tans with the greasebrush still having leaves that run to an off green-sage color.

I hatched an idea about what I wanted my AR to look like. I wanted more of a COMPLETE camo paint job that would fully blend into my surroundings. It could not be "stenciled" as the terrain is motled.

I found the new army digital urban camo to be a near perfect match for clothing, but I still lacked teh desire to do the AR in that same camo pattern.

What I came up with is this:

arskull.jpg

ARRock.jpg

I have had the pattern on the AR for about 10 days now...

The more I handle, shoot, and look at the pattern, the more I like it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
I'll have to be sure & not leave the AR on the ground while retrieving coyotes now. It blends in GOOD to the desert surroundings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Here's a more close-up view of the AR.
It is just my version of desert digital camo.
ARClose.jpg

I would be very interested in what you guys think of the paint.

The scope was done, as was the whole rifle. It never bothers the way the AR operates, & you can read the maker & serial number on the AR.
The scope is a Leupold 3-9x40.
I painted the clip just past the magazine well. Only the Hogue grip is not camo painted, & the rubber kick-pad on the ACE.

I'm trying to perfect different terrains that might be used by hunters, so, your input is important to me.

Thanks,

Barry

All I can say is Don't lay it down and walk 10 feet away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That is nice looking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I like it. I just got a big box of Duracoat and some stencils and I getting ready to camo a couple scatterguns this weekend maybe. I just refinished a Browning Gold that was carried quite a bit and was scratched and had the finish rubbed off in more than one place. I Duracoated it matte black 2 days ago and the finish looks awesome. You can honestly not tell it is not a factory finish.

I am curious what type paint you used and what did you do for stencils? What color was your base and did you use male and female stencils? It would have been really sweet if you had kept a step by step picture diary of your paint process. I think custom camoed guns are way cool and I commend you for the great job you did on your "black gun"!

Man!

I just got a new mouse that has these buttons on the sides that take me back, or faorward to the previous page & this got posted here instead of the firearms section...

Oh well,
Thanks for the input!

The process was spray, with a new Rustoleum textured paint for the basecoat. It is very dull & uniform & sticks well.

The three other colors are flat Rustoleum as well, from a spray can, but instead of using stencils, I borrowed the proceedure from the people that do "Faux Painting" on walls & such.

I sprayed a small amount of teh desired color onto a paper plate, then dipped a natural sponge in it & applied the paint to the base color like that, rather than spraying.

I have more control over where the paint goes, than just trying to guess at the overspray using a stencil.

Barry

Vashti,

I don't sell anything. It just got dropped here due to a malfunction on my mouse...

I have done several rifles & such for friends, but I don't charge them... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Perhaps I can get a moderator to move this thread to where is actually belongs...in the firearms section.

Thanks

Great looking pattern.. I'm starting to get into the 'free form' applications unless you have a specific look you're trying to achieve..

I have a process I'm going to try during my down time after my upcoming surgery and it involves a base coat and then using a condom (unused) to work the over coat... It's a process I picked up from a custom painter that works on Harleys to create a burl wood pattern...My big concern is keeping it in a lighter shade so it doesn't look like walnut..

The Harleys came out looking like they were made of wood, rather than metal and paint... really unique..

I tried that already, Kelly.

I mentioned it & saw him shudder at the thought of painting his new "baby"...

He said "I'm not quite ready for that just yet". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I did paint one of his Savage .204 Rugers a few years back though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Well when they try and rally against AR's again, you can do a neat "AR Sponge Paininting" demo to show that they arent evil.

The rifle looks awesome dude, its like your own Camo Brand, Good Job

Quote:
I like it. I just got a big box of Duracoat and some stencils and I getting ready to camo a couple scatterguns this weekend maybe. I just refinished a Browning Gold that was carried quite a bit and was scratched and had the finish rubbed off in more than one place. I Duracoated it matte black 2 days ago and the finish looks awesome. You can honestly not tell it is not a factory finish.

I am curious what type paint you used and what did you do for stencils? What color was your base and did you use male and female stencils? It would have been really sweet if you had kept a step by step picture diary of your paint process. I think custom camoed guns are way cool and I commend you for the great job you did on your "black gun"!

I would like to see pics of what the Browning looks like and if you painted over the Gold inlay...

I have a Browning Gold i've been thinking of KG coating in this offseason.

Al

That is an amazing looking paint job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I have been playing with some different ideas for painting my gun this summer. I thought i had settled on a snakeskin camo job, but i might have to reconsider now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Just curious, after sponging on the pattern did you use a clear coat or anything to finish it off?

I do give it a clearcoat. Very dull finish.

Some say that they are satin finish, but, are still too shiny in my opinion.

Thanks James! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Dang cool paint jobs man. If you ever feel the desire to list out your paint steps here on line in bulleted order I would be more than happy to follow them on one of my guns and post some pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've got a cheap NEF shotgun to do my first paint job on. As soon as the garage is finished off (2 weeks) I'll begin on it. I'm saving this post as a start for when I begin. Thanks for sharing with all of us.

BB,

I have a couple if rifles coming in soon, that will need camo.

I'll take pictures of the process & post it in a new thread on here.

With the popularity of painting your own camo, I suspect lots of interest & camo paintjobs will result.

The dipped guns are good, but are limited to what patterns THEY have.

People know what they like & the colors they can best use, so there's no reason they can't save some money & do it themselves.

Barry

It's more fun to do it yourself anyway...that's why I like tinkering with the AR platforms. I would appreciate your write up very much. I'll be looking for it coming out in the near future. Probably perfect timing when my garage gets finished off!

I'll have to photo document mine as well.

Thanks, Adam

Back