What Is It About Predator Calling

AzWill

I’m assuming that everyone here enjoys predator calling, but what is it about the sport that you like the most?

Is there anything that you don't like?

A penny for your thoughts....
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by AzWill (edited 05-09-2001).]

[This message has been edited by AzWill (edited 05-09-2001).]

I like it so much because you never know what's gonna happen next. And you don't sit on your butt all day waiting for something to come by. Every stand is different. It never gets old and it's just plain fun, even if you call it work.
I don't think there's anything about that I don't like about it.

------------------
B.Pierce
yotewalk.gif

Will,There is nothing like watching A yote comeing across A big flat as hard as he can run stright to you. If I could only hunt one critter the rest of my life it would be the coyote.I agree with songdogger I dont think there is anything I dont like about it. steve

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Will, for me it is just getting out in the field. I love to watch wildlife and listen to them. Do not get me wrong, I love hunting coyotes too, but I have done it so long, that just the opportunity to go to the field and sit on a stand and work my calls, man I love that.

This past winter, I picked up a new pup, “Norton.” He has been a lot of company on my stands and treks to the field. He doesn’t know what he is doing, and there are those he say the same about me, but what the hell, we have a good time. Every once in a while, “Norton” will come sailing by me with a cow turd in his mouth and I always think to myself, “Norton is going to make me a fine dog.” It does not get much better than that.

Take care.

------------------
banner.gif

yotewalk.gif

Arizona Hunt & BBQ

I think the thing I like the most is that adrenaline rush you get when you first see that coyote coming.I've called in a Hellava lot of coyotes and I still get that rush when I first spot a coyote coming to the call.Nothing quite like it...I had that RUSH yesterday when I was out calling.
smile.gif

I could get out in the field to scout and hunt deer. Elk give me quite a thrill. Prairie dogs offer almost year-round shooting, and lots of it.

But none of them come hunting you, coming in with the intent of killing something or taking it away from whatever is killing it. None of them, nor cats nor foxes, are the challenge to get them in your sights and make the shot. None of them display the intelligence and savvy of a situation that is dangerous to them like the coyote.

Intelligence of some savage kind gleams from those eyes, giving just a hint of the challenge you face when hunting coyotes.

I use my signature coyote because it comes the closest I have seen pictured to the look in the eyes of coyotes I have taken up close and personal. I guess that is why I prefer close range hunting.

Nothing challenges me like a coyote. And close range calling must be near the ultimate thrill.

------------------
Critr

LW42144.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com

I'm I considered mental, for always carrying a call in my pocket.. sunday we were fishing at a lake that borders Ted Tunners ranch, (no hunting), so I started calling from the boat, while trolling,we saw 8 yotes, come to waters edge, I was told by my buddy, is that all you think about. we'll fishing.

Adrenaline, adrenaline, and adrenaline. But the source of the whole adrenaline thing for me is the simple fact that the hunter of all hunters is being out witted.
Hunting coyotes is so different in my eyes then hunting any other species on this earth. You have to be so sneaky, clever, and prepared, that it all adds up to an unbeatable victory when the fur finds it's way into the crosshairs.
biggrin.gif

~River Runner~

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

Predators for me are limited to coyotes.
The attraction comes from the rush that most have mentioned above. For me, nothing else compares to or can cause the quake that accompanies a coyote responding to a call.

Deer; by any method, do not compare. Decoying waterfowl do not compare. Fishing does not compare. Small game, no. White water rafting, no. Golf? No way, baby! I love all of those recreational activities, they just don't compare.

The adreniline rush first, then the feeling you get from having called something in yourself.

What I like would take considerable time and effort, a lot of it has been mentioned.

Regarding the adrenaline rush. I guess I get it, if you mean a real short thrill in the pit of my stomach. But the main thing that strikes me about that, is the incredibility of it all! I never get over it. I'm astounded that it works, and works so well. And that's every time, same utter disbelief. Total surprise, and yet; I'm expecting it. Go figure!

Good hunting. LB

I love the surprises that come along. Even though we may set up with a particular animal in mind, we never know for sure what will come to the call. The first time I called in a cougar, that was the last thing on my mind. I was hoping for a coyote! I have called in coyotes, gray fox, bobcat, lion, bear, blue jays, ravens, magpies, hawks, owls, eagles, and a bunch of other birds and assorted little critters including at least 3 different kinds of squirrels. What's next?

As for the critters that wear fur, I guess my favorites are the cats. I just love it when a bobcat or cougar comes sneaking in to a mouth blown call, and I have done it myself.

JoeF, quote; the adreniline rush first, then the feeling you get from having called something in yourself.. thats the whole thing of hunting, and calling, wait till you call in, a big bull elk, in the middle of the rut, your adreniline, will reach new highs.

What I like about calling in predators is the thrill when you don't see what is coming into the call, here in my area you will be lucky to see them coming in it is very thick here. It could be a number of different predators or non-predator, and I also like being with my hunting partner and just being outdoors and enjoying what is left of our open land.

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Jason's Gun Room
Quality Custom Gunsmithing

Hello, my name is AzWill and I’m a predator junkie.

Called in my very first coyote when I was nine years old. I was trying to play the tune “Yankee Doodle Dandy” on an old worn out hand call, when this coyote ran right up to me. It scared the you know what out of me and been hooked ever since!

I’ve tried to stop a couple of times but I just couldn’t get the thought out of my head. There is something very special about luring a predator right up to you. Predator calling is a unique sport where the hunter becomes the hunted. I’m so hooked that I even get a rush just thinking about it.

I’ve tried to explain my addiction to others but only another predator caller can begin to comprehend what I go through day in and day out.

I also have to plead guilty to intentionally exposing others to the sport; which caused them to become addicted too. I’m a monster - because I have left hundreds of calling widows in my path.

Everything and every thought I have is centered around predator calling. Guns, camo, reloading, hand and electronic calls, new sounds, camo, cover scent, scopes, decoys, message boards, have only one purpose to me…. to feed my addiction.

And I wouldn’t have it any other way...
wink.gif

------------------
yotewalk.gif

I guess I am as guilty as Will. I called my first coyote when I was 10 and I have been hooked ever since. Daniel didn't know how much trouble he was in for when he asked me for a pencil in a high school class one day. Soon we were ditching school calling coyotes. There were times we didn't come home until we ran out of ammo. Then we would load some more and go out again. We ate a lot of fish, quail, doves, and rabbits because we spent most of our money on sodas, gas, and ammo. I remember one day I went to class smelling a little like a skunk 'cause I got a little cover scent on my boot that morning. Calling was an addiction that we couldn't satisfy but it kept us out of other kinds of trouble so it worked out OK. Calling predators has been the base for building some of the closest friendships I have ever had and it is an addiction that I am still trying to satisfy after 25 years.

Take care,
Daryl

------------------
yotewalk.gif

AzWill, I don't think I can answer that, there are many reasons, all of them good ones, but I can't really pin point just one, I noticed guys talking about a rush a thrill or calling in a bull elk in rut, you want a rush, try calling a Mt. Lion or a bear up close, it will be a rush alright, to change your pants hehehehe, Good Hunting Guys.

Well Howdy Ya'll,

So many reasons to list but I will tell you about my most favorite times of the year. 5 inches of freshly laid snow throughout my farmland. Temperatures expecting to drop to 0 degree tonight with a full moon. The brisk winds create a top frozen crunch beneath your feet. Darkness falls as the winds cease on their symphony. Freshly brewed coffee forms ice cycles on the brim of my outback hat. One hour has passed since the sunset. The calling begins as shadows take shape. The hunt is on as fire is seen exiting my 243. Silence returns... victory is sweet.

Crow Woman

Back