25-06 stevens 200???????????

je4bowhuntin

I was wanting a gun to camo that i wont have to worry about scratchin up for hunting close calling distances and tree stand in the woods...maybe a little hog hunting. i already have a 243 and a 30-06 so i put a stevens 200 25-06 in layaway today and i think i am gonna top it with a 3-9-40 since all my rifles have 5-15-40's on them.
how is the accuracy on these stevens?

I am a big savage fan, so i thought i would give one a try.

Anyone have some home camo pics to help me with some ideas?

what kind of paint is everyone using?

i had one..i admit it shot pretty good..for what it was..3..shot group's @ one inch were not hard to achieve with handload's..i just simply could not get over the plain & ugly look's of it..yeah..yeah..i know ugly gun's can kill as well as other's..to each his own..

Idon't have a Stevens 200 but a Savage 116 in 25-06. Mine shoots the 100 grain Hornady in the .3's for 3 shots using 51.0 of H-4350.

The barrels on all Savage rifles are made the same.

Hoggy

Dave,

Please don't take this as confrontational, as it's not, it's just a straightforward question. I'm having a hard time figuring out what is good looking about ANY synthetic stocked firearm? I've got hunting rifles with both wood and synthetic and yes the wood is good looking. I've got rimfire rifles in both wood and synthetic. I've got shotguns in both wood and synthetic. The synthetic is, well, plastic.

Help me out here, please.

Respectfully,
Dave

Quote:
Dave,

Please don't take this as confrontational, as it's not, it's just a straightforward question. I'm having a hard time figuring out what is good looking about ANY synthetic stocked firearm? I've got hunting rifles with both wood and synthetic and yes the wood is good looking. I've got rimfire rifles in both wood and synthetic. I've got shotguns in both wood and synthetic. The synthetic is, well, plastic.

Help me out here, please.

Respectfully,
Dave

And that is what makes the free enterprise system work....personal likes and dislikes. Thumbs up.

I have a 50-50 split of wood and synthetic as well. If it's the looks you are judging then you cant really expect the synthetic to win much against the wood stocks though I've seen some butt ugly (sorry) wood stocks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My personal tastes are 80% accuracy and handling. The other 20% based on looks really doesnt matter if I'm taking game and enjoying unusually difficult shots in difficult situations.

I have three rifles with synthetic stocks, 4 with wood stocks, 4 shotguns with synthetic stocks. The synthetic stocks aren't pretty, but when they get bumped around or scratched I don't get bothered as much as I used to the first couple of times I got dings or scratches in a new wood stock.

That's the reason I got them, because they don't show the abuse of hard use as much. My guns are tools, not "safe queens". They get used, sometimes under conditions where they are more likely to suffer some bumps and dings.

je4bowhuntin
The Stevens line of rifles are what you said a Savage so you know the thing is going to shoot well. I have one in .223 and no it is not a competition gun but will perform under an inch in the accuracy department with hand loads.

DAVE ALLEN(he we go again) is right(yeah DAVE you heard me I agreed with you) they are not asthetically pleasing but a little paint like you are planning to do and they will look great IMO.

Krylon paint is what I used and it has stood up very very well. I would suggest a primer coat or 2 as well if you want it to last another personal opinion. And as you asked for here are some pics of the rifle and some if it's groups.

223newdew1.jpg

223newdew2.jpg

100_0215.jpg

100_0217.jpg

I used a base coat of 'fleck stone', and then used the regular camo colors on top of that......turned out very nice, and has a textured feel to it. my stevens in 25/06 shoots the 100gr Nosler BT's very well.

I have one in .270 cal ,easy under a inch at 100yrds with pillar bedding and free floating barrel for the price you dont have to worry about it getting scratched so much.You might want to get a good solid scope for it but being a light sporter.

Ive had a .223 and a .270 and have had no problems. but my dad had a .223 and a 30 06 and both of them had problems. If you blow a primer it did something to the extractor and had to be drilled. but he does alot of tinkering with loads. I would own another one if need be. sold one and gave the other to my father in law for christmas.

CWeek's..i'll keep working on ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif..a steven's rifle is "kinda" like that girlfriend we have all had..their kinda fun..provide us good time's for a while..their just not alway's the marrying type /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:
CWeek's..i'll keep working on ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif..a steven's rifle is "kinda" like that girlfriend we have all had..their kinda fun..provide us good time's for a while..their just not alway's the marrying type /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I don't know about half of that but I am married to mine and it isn't going anywhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I can relate to the wood vs synthetic thing. I have no rifles with nice wood. They are either synthetic or laminated because I can stand to see nice wood all nicked up not to mention the climate problems one might have with wood.

I do own some shotguns with grade 2 and grade 3 wood but they are safe queens. If you saw my Mossberg 930 duck slayer you would not want these babys going where I hunt either. LOL!

Quote:
a steven's rifle is "kinda" like that girlfriend we have all had..their kinda fun..provide us good time's for a while..their just not alway's the marrying type

LOL!!!!!

Sure Dave, but it cost a lot more to divorce the girlfriend you married then to buy a new rifle...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Currenly, $8.5K in legal, $4.2K for PI, 1 year in litigation, no end in site.. That equals a lot of rifles!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

+1 for synthetic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Allen

My son bought one in .243, we threw a cheap Bushnell Buckhorn 3x9x40 $100 scope on it and he can shoot 5 shot groups with at least 4 shots touching at 100 yards pretty consistantly. We went to the range last night to work up some new loads for it and he shot a 5 shot group that measures .541 with 40.8g of Varget with the 55g Sierra Blitzkings. It's definately a shooter no matter how you feel about it's looks.

Back