Favorite coyote bait...

bigbore442001

I picked up my sporting license this morning and told the biologist about the coyote I shot over a deer kill.

He suggested adding to it. It is legal to bait coyotes in Massachusetts. He suggested that I use something with an odor like cat food or dog food. Any kind of meat scraps. Bacon grease, etc.

So my question is, what would you use for a good bait? If anyone has baited coyote, what have you used?

Deer scraps work really well and are often all you need. I also go to my local grocery store and get the meat scraps that they throw out at the end of the day. I place them in a bucket and put hot water in with them. I then place it outside to freeze overnight. I only freeze about 2/3 of the contents. Makes a big yotecicle. Has worked well for me.

Hi Bigbore,
I have used scrap meat and canned dog food with limited success. However, I think it may be that there are not enough coyotes around central Mass. Do you hunt anywhere near the Douglas State Forrest in Douglas?

Basil

I go to the local butcher's and load up the truck....literally half of the half ton truck bed. They usually have an assortment of beef cattle, sheep,pig parts out back in barrels just waiting to be taken off their hands.

I started out putting small amounts of bait out (20 lbs.) but crows,sea gulls, ravens,and eagles stole it all about as fast as I put it out. I then started using modified barrels and some other contraptions so coyotes could get at but not the birds. Problem was that now the coyotes wouldn't go near the bait. I was then told by another local hunter that coyotes won't come in to bait untill the birds are around it. This is when I figured things out and just dumped as much bone and meat scraps as I could get my hands on in one big pile and let the birds go at it. The birds do make fast work of it still but the coyotes come in the best this way for me.

I can only assume that any full carcasses would work the same if not better but I haven't got the opportunity to try it yet.

Also, I really like that freezing the bait in a bucket idea. I've been toying with the idea of pouring sugar water over my bait pile after reading that coyotes have a sweet tooth. Best of luck, this is just what seems to work for me. Ryan

I agree with Sled. Sardines, peanut butter, peanut butter and cheese crackers, women’s cheap perfume, etc are old poacher’s tricks to draw in predators – usually to a trap, like baited fish hooks hanging from a tree. Any and all methods are illegal in Tennessee will cost you a heavy fine with court costs, loss of your firearm and probably your vehicle. The base equivalent of being smacked in the face with a shovel by Smokey the Bear.

Just call em’ in. You’ll feel better about it.

Well I do call them too but with limited success. The first day of the season, I called in a nice male coyote only 2 minutes into the stand. At least 50 stands later, I have only managed to call in a red fox.

This time of the year, I don't have access to many of my calling spots, no truck, no snowmobile, just snow shoes and no place to park my car.

This is only my second year coyote hunting and I would like nothing better than to call in coyotes but I just don't have much luck. I'll keep at the calling but I don't mind taking an hour and a half every week - 2 weeks, to make a bait pile. It's not as rewarding as calling them in but that's what seems to work on our little island. Ryan

jeez, you're from PEI, just stand on the biggest hill with a high power scope, you should able to see all the coyotes on the island /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Try to get a hold of some ones former mother in law ,preferably one from a real nasty divorce. Man can they stink things up!

- best bait ive used is beaver- sheep carcass would be my second choice- just a little better than deer because they are attracted to the tiniest scrap of wool long after theres any meat left- pete

I perfer calling to baiting also, but sometimes, baiting is just more productive where coyotes are few and far between. You can also combine the two. Once you get them coming to the bait, try a lone howl. Seems to piss the one's off that have been feeding on the bait. A roadkill deer 4 or 5 days old works best. Just take your knife and rip open the stomach from rump to neck. Better also drive rebar through the rib cage or use wire to tie the carcus to a tree to keep them from dragging it off.

If you can't find a deer carcus, behind most restaurants you'll find a "grease dumster". Get a five gallon bucket full of this crap and smear it on trees, ground, bushes and watch for a few day for fresh sign, then set up and call, preferably from a treestand overlooking the bait sight.

Hey! When the calling gets tough, the tough switch tacticts! Sometimes, you gotta get nasty to get fur. So, let's get those buckets loaded gentlemen! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif kyray

Back