.223 prairie dog bullets??

duckdog

Anyone have any experience with the Nosler 50grain balistic tip on prairie dogs. I love these bullets at the range but was wondering if they're explosive enough on p.d.'s.
I was also wondering how the Sierra 50grain Blitzkings perform. I really like Sierra bullets. The 50grain Blitz is super accurate in my rifle, but I think they'll just poke holes in p.d.'s. I've got a real nice load worked up in the Noslers but I've read they're a little tougher than the V-MAX and don't produce near the "evidence" of a hit. I've never been prairie doggin' before and we've got a trip planned so I'm trying to plan ahead. Thanks guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have shot quite a few P-Dogs and to tell you the truth you will have unquestionable evidence with nearly any bullet with any caliber. I have shot them with .22LR round nose bullets and they are cut in half. I have also shot them with 130gr soft point 270 bullets with some very graphic results. I would say shoot whatever shoots best out of your gun because even if you start shooting them at 300yds after a while you will want to shoot them from 400 then 500 and so on. With this in mind you are looking for accuracy...believe me if you hit them they will POP!

Have fun!

Quote:
If everything makes them pop, why all the fuss about the balistic tip bullets?

Because plastic tipped bullets look good and are in vogue and people like to make a fuss about things. Also they have good ballistic coefficient.

Ballistic tips will blow the crap out of a prairie dog. Blitzkings will too, same with VMax. And like plastic tipped bullets, the 50 & 55gr Blitz will also blow the crap out of them. Varmint bullets just blow the crap out of stuff whether they have a lead tip or a plastic tip or a hollowpoint.

Look at it this way those bullets your talking about are designed to drop a thirty or forty pound yote, a PD only wieghs four or five pounds, you do the math.

So, if you were gonna load a couple hundred rounds for just prairie dogs and you had good accurate loads in all three bullets...the nosler, the Blitz, or the Blitzkings, which would you use?

I have shot a lot of the Speer 50 grain TNT's on prairie dogs. They are quite accurate and very explosive. The last time I was out, I tried the 50 grain Sierra Blitz-Kings, and they were spectacular!

I have tried the Nosler BT's and have had better accuracy with the Blitz-Kings.

I'd choose whichever shot the best. If they all shot exactly the same my choice would be whichever was least expensive and load up 500 or 1000..... a couple hundred rounds won't last long.

Quote:
Quote:
a PD only wieghs four or five pounds

Man I want to hunt where you do .

Those PDs must be on steroids and work out 2 to 3 hours per day. WOOOOOOOOWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEE

I'd second the 50 gr. TNTs, they work very well from the 223 and are just as accurate as the NBTs in my guns. The sierra bullets are very good also, not sure about the blitzkings in the 22 cal but the 20 cal 39 grainers sure cause havoc on the PD pelts. he he RED MIST

I have shot many ground hogs with the 55gr v-max and I love the splash hits ...I use them because they do not bounce into
another demention after a miss

at 100 yards 3 different guns loads and shooters we could not get a 55gr v-max to pass through a 1litre water bottle,we even did this on a huge ground sheet and found small almost dust like frags. real neat

55 and 60 grain Vmaxes have been impressive for me. They really do some damage even to the much larger rockchucks.

I have used many different .22 bullets on prairie dogs and most do the job in spectacular results. The Nolser 50 gr BTs are one of my favorites and they deliver plenty of killing power.

I use the Hornady 55 gr spire point, I buy them in bulk for a very reasonable price, very accurate, deadly on coyotes and prairie dogs.

For the sensitive crowd I covered up the gore on this half of a pdog, I never found the other half.

pd3-censored.jpg

I've shot 5000 rounds of 40 grain V-Max on prairie dogs the last two years. Obviously they are explosive but I also like the fact that I did not see one bullet "skip" further out in the distance after going through the dogs.

I also shot 600 rounds of Winchester 55 gr spire points. They killed good but I saw numerous "skips" out in the distance of bullet fragments that were still large enough to go on. I won't shot the Winchesters on PDs anymore for that reason. Too many "bouncers" off in the distance with them. Just a safety factor for me.

the bullets you have mentioned in your post are EXCELLENT for PD's out of a 223.

I've shot several thousand of each and they do a fine job!

Back