ohio coyote hunters?

brown-trout

hey to all....Buckeye Stater here, Summit County (NE).
Looking to get into 'yote hunting ....been to Egypt Valley W.A. (belmont county) a few times...no luck there.
Any other Ohio 'yote hunters here??
If so, any advice??
Thanks, Brown Trout.

Yep! There are several of us here! Im down in lawrence co. Right on the Ohio river.

If your just starting out the best advise I could give is to read the thread here,,,Calling Tactics and Sounds. I will bring it back up to the top for you. Great read! Great info! Check it out.

Brent

Hello, adams co. here down along ohio river in southeast ohio.. Lot of dogs here.. Just dont expect them to come running aross the pastures to you.. Average one sighted dog to every 10 or fifteen stands. Notice i said sighted and not dead, they are hard to kill cause they work in with the thickets and when you spot them. They aready have you pegged. Best luck with them at night they are much more bold.. Oh one more thing i use shotguns on em too.. Set up in some cover not so thick that you cant see em coming though.. Blow a call and eventually you will see one.. Here the key is persistence.. Good luck

Hi Guys! I'm just across the river in WV but I do a lot of hunting in OH. Saw lots of sign and 3 coyotes white hunting opening day of deer season in OH. I have hunted EVWMA but with no success. Most of hunting has been during daylight hours. I agree with the above posts concerning 1 out of 10 stand ratio. But, I've also come to the conclusion that hunting from a lightweight portable tree stand is a good idea. It gets my scent up off the ground and more importantly it allows me to see the coyote working through the thick stuff! This coupled with my remote controlled foxpro gives me a distinct advantage especially when hunting thick brushy areas.

ive done alot of successful calling at night for coyotes in ohio, im also from lawrence county, right ont he gallia county. my advice is read as much on here as you can and try to apply it as best as you can but dont expect those willeys to run you over on stand around here, they will work you over slowly and then just suddenly appear. i try to make most of my stands on small field edges next to big patches of timber giving myself about 150 yards to shoot towards the woods.ive noticed in my area that these coyotes love cattle farms. ive scored 7 times this year off 4 different farms. all of them in cow pastures.

Welcome to the forum! My best tip would be to have a partner and team up to use the wind. That is have your partner so when the coyote tries to wind you it gets within range of your partner. I have very, very few stands where I can't be backdoored by a coyote when hunting alone.

Just started last year in late winter. I pulled in pairs of coyotes on 3 different stands with no shot and a single on one stand that I missed, couldn't see the cross hairs while shooting at eyes with red light. Last year I was using a Cass Creek caller and it worked fine. I have been out 4 different times this year and have not seen any eyes glowing in the dark??? I am thinking that it has not been cold enough and we haven't had snow cover to prevent them from catching mice as easily. We are hunting in pairs, one with a shotgun and one with a rifle, in case they hang up. We have rigged my scope mounted light onto a paint roller and rotate the light with a paint roller extension pole. I can't say that this is succesful b/c we have not shot any yet but it drastically reduces movement. You can scan with light just by spinning it with your fingers. I also made a homemade caller with a cheap MP3 player, an external amp and a powerhorn speaker with 30 feet of speaker wire. I also went to a Bushnell Firefly 3200. The reticle stays lit with one 2 minute charge for the entire night. We are hunting Stark, Portage, Tusc,Carrol & Harrison Counties. Good luck guys.

Welcome Brown-trout,
I am over here in Huron county. I don't think calling has sucessfully caught on here. Lot of 'wanna be's ".
There's a group of guys round here doing well with the beagles and shotguns.
Hope you can get some good calling in. Heck, I hope I can get back at it myself.
Good luck

I'd like to keep this going with the Ohio hunters.

Anyone having any success lately. We had one come in on Saturday after less than 2 minutes of calling. He hung up around 90 yds out and we were only armed with a 12 gauge.

Also, has anyone had any luck hunting during daylight hours????

I hunt in carroll ,harrison co. found 2 dead coyotes and a deer that looked like it had been eaten on by yotes on 1 farm ifeel like i'm closing in. Does anyone know about how far the range of a pack is in this part of the state ? hoping that maybe the snow helps things out.
I have also wondered about calling with a cd call
I am using a johnny stewart "coyote calling Volume 2" How long would you let it play before stopping the call and watching/leaving? Good luck all Be safe Brian work the wind/ thermals

Heah Hntr1,

I hunt a tract of land in Carroll Cty sometimes. Maybe we can hook up. Harlem Sprgs actually. We have gone off recommendation from others to not call for more than 30 minutes. We just started last year and called in several but only got 1 shot. I was the shooter and missed using a .223. Couldn't see the cross hairs real well, but now I have a Bushnell Firefly mounted on my .243 so shouldn't have any excuses. I am wondering how often you all mix up the calls with other distress sounds. My thinking is that if you continue to setup and crank that dying rabitt, they are going to get educated real quick. Anyone have luck using bird, rodent or grey fox pup in distress??? All of these sounds are downloadable from Western Rivers Web site.

Sure we could go try to shoot some coyotes. I use a 243 too. Whats your favorite load? I like NOS BT 55 pushed by 45.5 grain varget its about 3900. Harlem Springs would be a great place, only about 15-20 min drive.I can go early during the wweekdays 9:30-11:30 anytime on the weekends ussually Sunday after 12.Let me know we'll hook up and go. Do you ussually hunt day or night? I think the public land can be good hunting just hunt where no one else has or is.

I'm overhere not far from youngstown shot a real nice red fox but now coyotes yet but I've seen them and big ones too. Most people are getting them around here while deer hunting. I know several that shot yotes while bowhunting
chaser

Been out 5 times now, and seen 4 in last week. Didnt hunt long this morning with the crunchy snow. 1 KIA so far. I hunt mostly along the Ohio River south of I-70. Critters are tough gettin here in the east. The vvarmits are REAL tough to get in Tuscarawas County /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Later guys

12gage,

Bird destress will work fine for you, pup destress and pup wines and crys are good to. Dont be afraid to change up calls. I also do alot of howling. We got more fox callers here in the southern part of the state than coyote callers. We got alot of people who are just geting started to.

If your hunting public land then get away from the roads and get back in to where they are not geting called to from the road. Farm fields and pasters are good at night along with strip mine fields. If your calling in the daytime then get down in the cover with them, they dont like to cross the open areas in the day light. The points that run off into thick cover of thick hollows are good. The main thing is to just find areas that hold good numbers of coyotes.

Not been a great year for me but I have had worse. Weather has sure sucked here for sure. I think we have took 9 coyotes so far this year and a few fox, reds and greys, and a few coons. Been slow really. Weather has had alot to do with it. It will get better now since its cold!

Brent

any of you guys tried the brush creek wildlife area, hunted there for a few years for grouse and the coyote sign was probably the thickest ive seen anywhere, some rough terrain but seems worth it been kickin around makin the drive a little south for myself

Brush creak has alot of coyotes. Hard to hunt and thick but puts up good numbers. I get down there every chance I get. I havent got down there this year yet but will before the seasons out!

Brent

let me know how you do but if theres as much sign as there was should be pretty good, i hunted alot of the farmers field edges for grouse and never saw any sighn of fur hunters anywhere, pretty much all to yourself this time of year it seemed i may take a ride next week to check it out, these suburban yotes are gettin a little tough here

Back