Coyote serenade?

Yashiro

Well, the last 3 times i was calling coyotes,in 3 different stands i start with a female invitation and then with a lone some howl. The coyotes howl me back like a fluxuating howl but sounds like 3 o 4 coyotes at the same time, for half a minute. I dont know what happen, whats the name of that sound, and why after that they dont howl back no matter what i do. They dont come to my stand after that.

What can i do?

Thanks in advance.

That is a coyote serenade that you heard. Probably onle 2 or 3 coyotes but sounds like 4 or 5. I've called them in after a serenade by challenging over them, jackrabbit distress, or pup whines. But sometimes they just don't come in. It could be that they were howling on their territory border and didn't want to come in... Just keep at it and you'll get them. I normally don't do much howling. I have more success with just the ole rabbit distress.

When they do that here, if I have a buddy with me, we Seranade back at them. If I don't have a buddy I give some challenge howls, then some ki Yis, and I wait over an hour. They usually show up real slow this time of the year here.

Back