Savage 340B .222????

TNcrittergitter

I just picked up a Savage 222 in this model (340B), and was wondering if any of you knowledgeable folk out there might shed some light on the gun. The stock is a bit faded from age, but in overall pretty good shape. It has a barrel band on it, and the barrel says "PROOF TESTED CAL. 222 REM"

Thanks for any help you can give me.

I bought it cheap from a guy who needed some cash.

RB

They are nice rifles, and the predecessor of the current 840.

The 340 was the first centerfire rifle I ever shot (in .22 Hornet).

Thanks to both of you. The bad news about the gun is that someone in the lineage of ownership had a side mount installed for a scope, and removed some of the stock to make it fit. It stills needs some tinkering for everything to fit like it should, and my concern was whether the gun was truly worth making the adjustments necessary or not. Seems from you guys that it may be worth it.

I also was toying with the idea of putting some paint to it for a camo job. If I decide to keep it, paint it is. If not, I'll probably tinker with the side mount issue and sell it.

I'm going to wait a day or two and see what urge hits.

Thanks again,

RB

Any others with info? All is appreciated and will help in my decision. Thanks.

The side mount was the only way to mount a scope on the rifle. They are still availible from Weaver I believe. I just put an 840 back in service as a back up calling rifle.

Savage840Rem700attherange008.jpg

AWS

I have one in the same calibre as you. It's probably in the same shape as yours, with some material taking out of the side to put on a scope. It's a decent shooter, but I don't like the way it fits me.

AWS - that's the rifle. The stock on mine is faded a bit, missing the sheen of the finish. Other than that, that's it.

Since some of you have side mounts, you can probably answer this question. The side mount seems to be off center of the barrel. Is that common? Or was this a bad side mount? I guess I need to take pics. I'll do that later and add them.

RB

Heres what it is going to look like if painted. My first thought was just too refinish it. Let me tell you, under that crappy varnish is the ugliest white wood you ever seen. If you want to fix it up... PAINT IT!

savagem840ui9.jpg

Paint it it shall be. I am going tomorrow to get the paint - probably going to paint barrel and all.

do you guys think free floating it would do any good with the barrel band on it? If I am going to float it, I need to do it before I paint it.

RB

Had one years ago in 30-30, not pretty but a good shooter. Killed several deer with it. Had a scope mount put on mine then, only way to do it is with the side mount due to the open top receiver. Buddy of mine has one in 222, ugly as all get out, but it is a tack driver. He only gave $100 for it.Told him if he ever decides to sell it, I'd better get first chance.

You could possibly float from the band forward but they are a good'nuff shooter without it. You can't expect a "sows ear" to be a one holer but you got a coyote shootin' son of a gun right there. Mine will be in my family (hopefully) for many years to come.

Thanks Gander,

That was what I had initially thought, but wanted to ask some folks with some experience about first. I guess I'll go ahead and invest in some dies for it and see if I can find some brass.

Do any of you have a pet load for the .222?

you got yourself a real sleeper! that model was the first duce i bought, all i could afford at the gun show when i was 21. came with the side mount and a k6 .weaver for $225. my dad waned a duce too, but didnt see any at the show so we went to the sports store on the way home. he got a good deal on brno fox model 2 with a set trigger. bought some ammo and hurried home to get shooting. long story short, that savage made the brno look real bad on paper. the fox did outclass it in looks though. my l461 sako loves 20.6 gr of 4198 under 50gr tnt, seated 2.220, wsr primer. both my 700 bdls, one heavy barrel, one sporter love 10.5 gr of unique under the 50gr tnt. good luck, lee.

The Savage 340 in 222 Rem was my first centerfire rifle. The only problem I had with it was as the humidity changed, so did the POI. The stock would move and due to the barrel band near the forarm, POI would change. I had to sight it in everytime I went groundhog hunting. Traded it in on another 222 and have been kicking myself ever since. That rifle was a real shooter. I'm sure you'll be happy with your's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have a Weaver base with detatchable rings and the scope is centerred over the bore or it's close enough that I don't notice it. The Weaver sidemount base(#1) and rings(#49350) are still listed in the Weaver catalog. There were some stamped sidemounts that were availible but I've only seen pictures so I can't tell you if they centerred the scope. I've been told B-Square makes a side mount also.

I have two sets of rings for mine and have two scopes sighted in , a K-1.5 and a Weaver Grand Slam 4.75.

AWS

I backed out of painting it after some chiding from my dad, the guy at the local gun shop, and some tung oil. I rubbed it several times and brought a nice sheen to the stock. I do think I will float the barrel. Since I had the urge to paint something, I opted for my win 70 7 wsm. It's hanging now, drying, in anticipation of a couple of good coats of poly.

Thanks guys.

RB

I have that gun in the Stevens model 325 version in 30-30. Been looking for a .22 cal gun to match it. Guess you beat me to that one!! I think they also offered .223 and .225 Win.

I saw the stocks listed at Boyds web site.

My 30-30 is a good shooter and with decent iron sights an easy 150 yard deer rifle.

Glad you didn't paint it!!

It's been a while since I had mine torn down, but as I recall the assembly, you pretty much can't fully free float the barrel because of the way the stock, barrel and the barrel band go together.

dump some regular cure two part epoxy (not five minute) into about an additional 6 or eight parts of acetone, mix it up good and wipe into every nook and cranny of the stock and barrel bedding area. Do it about three times letting it set up good in between. With that and a good water resistant finish on the outside you can probably hold zero in all weather.

Back