CHEAPER SOURCE OF QUALITY HIGH DENSITY TUNGSTEN SHOT FOR LOADING

CDR

I have never dealt with this outfit, but its seems to be a potential alternative to the more common sources for high density tungsten shot ....... and at lower cost to the consumer for the high quality, high density stuff. Some of the larger shot sizes would be of particular interest to the predator hunter.

http://www.tungsten-spheres.com/tungsten_shot.html

I must be missing something. Ballistic Products is selling
Hevi-Shot for just a bit over $22/lb, in 7 pound lots, and
have been doing so since Hevi-Shot came out. This shot,
using #4 as an example, is less than a $1 cheaper, and
coming from Kalifornia, versus Minnesota, for me, would
probably wipe out most of that savings. They would be
more interesting, if it were under $20/lb...Or am I missing
something?

Squeeze

Your missing the fact that these are heavier than the hevi shot, they are actually spherical, they come in sizes not availible thru heavy shot, and they are offered in 1 pound lots which works out to be 10 1.5 oz loads. If you want more than a pound, they will sell it to you.

CDR, Ive had good dealings with them. I got some 7.5 for turkey and BBB for bigger stuff. Just remember This is harder than the hevishot, and youll need some extra mylar wraps in the wad. Also, No super tight turkey chokes, but this is not a big deal as it works very suitably in a factory remington steel full choke for me.

I will tell you one thing- It is really hard to improve on the factory hevishot loads. Price wise it is cheaper to go factory, and performance wise, even though I can make some stupidly tight patterning stuff in the basement, It gets to be an argument about how dead is dead enough.

I was awfull curious about there ball point pen spheres. Seems like a half to 11/16 ounce of these in a 410 would be suitable for turkeys, and kid friendly.

Quote:

I must be missing something. Ballistic Products is selling
Hevi-Shot for just a bit over $22/lb, in 7 pound lots, and
have been doing so since Hevi-Shot came out. This shot,
using #4 as an example, is less than a $1 cheaper, and
coming from Kalifornia, versus Minnesota, for me, would
probably wipe out most of that savings. They would be
more interesting, if it were under $20/lb...Or am I missing
something?

Squeeze

As yotenaler indicated, this isn't your normal "welding spatter" Hevishot. It's more like the stuff sold under the name "Tungsten Super Shot" which is very high density and round. It is also very expensive. But, because it is heavier than Hevishot (the TSS), users of it can drop down to No. 5 shot and get penetration at 70 yards equivalent to No. 2 Hevishot. That means, more pattern density, through the use of smaller shot.

This stuff is not necessarily a lot cheaper than regular HS, per pound, but higher in quality and density. It's definitely cheaper than it's nearest similar quality tungsten shot. It's not quite as good as TSS, of course.

This is a link to the TSS website, for those who might be interested.

http://www.tungstensupershot.com/

CDR- snoop around the website a little and you'll find stuff that rivals the TSS stuff as far as weight goes.

As far as a #5 replacing a #2- Im skeptical to say the least. Not that its impossible, or even unthinkable, Its just that darn cool.

For what its worth, I Have done some 1.25 oz stuff with the BBB that pattern wise rivals the single b 1 3/4oz hevishot 3.5 inch goose loads. Patternwise, shooting 5 shells of each It was bascially identical performance with 13-16 pellets in an 8 inch circle at 50 yards. The 7.5's did penetrate the 1/2" plywood backer board at 50 while the number 4 hevishot did not. This could be interpreted several different ways, but seeing how the 7.5's had less surface area and less resistance, I just focused on pattern performance, and Yes, Id shoot a coyote at that distance with the 7.5's with utmost confidence.

No mention of USFWS or Canadian approval on being accepted as a legal non-toxic shot for waterfowl yet that I saw - am I missing something? Looks intriguing nonetheless, and should work real well for varmints irregardless if it follows the advertising in performance. We'll see- thanx for the info.

Don't know if this particular shot has been approved. That's something which should be checked out if it's use for waterfowl was contemplated.

But, realistically, how would the average GW know the difference? Due to it's hardness, it certainly wouldn't be mistaken for lead, bismuth, or steel. And, other pellets using the same components have been approved, so it wouldn't be something any worse than other approved tungsten based shot mixtures for waterfowl to ingest.

This is a response to the new law in CA. Switching to hevi-shot and non-lead bullets in the new condor zone has got more than a few of us cringing at increased shooting costs. My normal season's ~250 rounds of 3.5" coyote ammo runs $375 for lead or $975 for HSDC.

Two ounce loads of BBB, 68 pellets, $2.65 per shell for just the shot. That's without the shipping.

There are areas I hunt where one side of the road is lead and the other side is going to be no-lead.

Quote:
CDR- snoop around the website a little and you'll find stuff that rivals the TSS stuff as far as weight goes.

As far as a #5 replacing a #2- Im skeptical to say the least. Not that its impossible, or even unthinkable, Its just that darn cool.

The comment on the relative performance of TSS No. 5 shot vs. Hevi No. 2 was more in reference to performance on geese, which are not so heavily constructed as most predators. But, in penetration testing on plywood at 70 yards, the TSS No. 5, had much better success in giving complete penetration than did the Hevishot No. 2. I don't know how the two would fare against a living animal, such as a coyote, at that range.

On their website, TSS shows a penetration test of No. 5 shot at 70 yards on 3/8 inch plywood. 129 pellets in the load, 127 hits and 127 passthroughs.

http://www.tungstensupershot.com/pages/b...nch_resourcetop

Thanks for the information CDR. If this shot is more like the Remington Wingmaster HD shot that would be good. I have done some pattern and penetration testing and the Remington HD has been doing much better than the Hevi-Shot. The 3" Remington HD 2's penetrated deeper into catalogs than the Hevi-Shot "B" pellets did and there are about 50 more pellets in the Rem HD 3" load than there is in the Hevi-Shot 3" "B" load. The Remington HD BB 3" load penetrated deeper than the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote T load did and the Rem HD BB load has about 23 more pellets in it than the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote load. Just look at this picture of Hevi-Shot "B" pellets with the Remington Wingmaster HD BB pellets. The copper colored pellets are the Rem HD BB's.
IMG_1710.jpg

Last edited:
Back