.280 Rem vs .308 Win ?

Chupathingy

First let me say I know they are two differant animals. I have a Remington VS in .308 that I really just don't need(I have multiple .308's)And I just found a Remington 700 in .280 Rem that just caught my eye and has me twitterpated. I would be using this rifle for some distance shooting at the range mostly. My question is this, should I trade my VS for this .280? Is the .280 a viable round for 600 plus yard shooting? Will I "HAVE" to reload for the .280? etc.

I basically need some input about this round, as I know little about it.

Thanks in advance
Chupa

It is basically a .270 or 30-06 in a 7mm. About 3-400fps faster than a .308. It shines as a hunting round, but I'm not sure about precision range work.. I would also rebarrel to the .260 (for range work). But if you have to many .308's then go for it.

Last edited:
280 will better either the 270 or the 30-06 a fine round almost perfect if there is such a thing
You don't HAVE to handload BUT in order to make this or any cartridge SHINE it is the best way to have it
I have lost count of the animals taken with this round but suffice it to say that if you do your part it will NOT let you down

chupa..i basically don't have any experiance with the 280..@ least enough that i can put in "black..or.."white"..so i can't say..for sure..yet i'm jones'n for a 280 someday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif[edit]to say "yeah" i think your..gonna..need to reload..however your gonna have to start doing that anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gifIMHO of course..

Quote:
chupa..i basically don't have any experiance with the 280..@ least enough that i can put in "black..or.."white"..so i can't say..for sure..yet i'm jones'n for a 280 someday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Yeah I hear ya, I just saw this rifle about 2 hours ago and this thing is and I mean PRISTINE beyond 100% it has an older Bushnell Sportview 4-12x40 and leather sling for a price that should be illegal it's so low.

Chupa

If I was going to buy another long action to deer hunt with, it would be the 280. It has the speed of the 270 with the hit of the 30-06 and a wide variety of bullets to load with. Factory offerings are getting better, handloading is definately the way to go for those distances. If you want something a little different, have it re-chambered 280AI, then you'll be the walkin' in high cotton. I never had a deer even think of running when I had mine. I just didn't need that much gun around here, so I bought the 300 yd version, the 7mm-08 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

i have 4 280 rems and 2 308 wins, is one better than the other? who knows. there sure is a pile of records set with a 308, go to gun for the military. i load 54 grains of imr 4350 over a 120 ballistic tip, hold on hair to 400 yds and watch them fall. i load 49 grains of imr 4350 over 165 hornady or 168 combined tech ballistic siver tip, hold on hair and watch them fall out to 300 yds. imho, the 280 is a 7 mag with out the black shoulder. you will never regret buying a 280, especially in a rem 700. i have a mountain rifle, my first that my dad decided to swipe, a ruger 77 stainless laminate, my second to replace the mountain rifle, that my son swiped. a browning a bolt medallion, to replace the ruger, and then remington brought out the 50th ann. stainless laminate the next year, had to have it, so the other son aquired the browning. my load works in all 4 guns, stays within moa to 300 yds, with a drop of only 5 1/2". tested on paper, not computer. the 280 is very versatile, bullets available from 100 gr to 175, takes anything on this continent. if you don't buy it, let me know where it is. lee.

I should have added this in the original post. It won't be used for hunting, only range work. I'm just looking for something other than a .308 to do this with as I already have a few of those and this is a steal.

Chupa

i have a rem 280 mountain rifle that ive had for years it is my grocery getter I love the round, but the 308 is legendary for its long range accuracy. snipers, 1000yd shoots i dont know if i would sell my 308 for the 280 if most of your work will bench work keep your 08 and get the 280 also

Having shot and loaded the 280 since the early 80's I may can shine some light on it. the first custom I ever owned was a 280 built on a 700 action. I currently have a custom with a 26 inch barrel on a mauser action.
280.jpg

It is my pipeline gun. The 280 is about as strong as you can get and not go to a Magnum cartridge. It gives nothing up to the 30-06 or the 270 as a hunting round. Accuracy wise, it is not as inherently accurate as the 308. (short cartridges shoot better than long ones)

To get good results from the 280, Handloading is the way to go. Factory ammo in 280 is slim. I am shooting 150 Nosler BT and feel confident in about any situation to make the shot count and know the deer will go down shortly thereafter. Brass is hard to come by, compared to the 308.

After all that, get the 280. You will not be disappointed.

++++1 for having more guns, especially two awesome calibers such as these. my 280s are for hunting, but i sure had fun knocking down rams at 440 yds with my browning last year. i'm sure the 700 will be as accurate as you are with handloading, i know my guns can out perform me. not trying to take a personal shot at you, i just know that most of my 'misses' or 1" groups are usually my fault, not the guns. lee.

I have limited experience with the .280, but lots of experience with the 284...for all intents and purpose the same cartrage.

Witht the 7mm cal bullet you have lots of choices in weights and styles, second only to the 30 cal...and the powders are wide open too...I love the .308...but the .280 will certainly fill a nitch for you

Quote:
++++1 for having more guns, especially two awesome calibers such as these. my 280s are for hunting, but i sure had fun knocking down rams at 440 yds with my browning last year. i'm sure the 700 will be as accurate as you are with handloading, i know my guns can out perform me. not trying to take a personal shot at you, i just know that most of my 'misses' or 1" groups are usually my fault, not the guns. lee.

I'm no Ivan Sidorenko but I'm better than the average bear. So from what I understand it will do what I intend it to? But I need to reload for it? I have some thinking to do.

Chupa

Quote:
I hope its only for range work. That 308 just about blew my eardrums out lol.

That was the 25/06. I told you that, but I guess you couldn't hear me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chupa

Quote:
if you have 2 many 308s you can give me 1 ive had a hankerin for a range gun as i dont have a 308 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Do you have a .260 to trade? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chupa

Back