Any florida coyote hunters out there?

grumpy

I see post from all over the country, but only know of two of us from florida. Are there any more out there or are we a dying breed? Might be fun to get together for some coyote hunting since there can't be that many of us around.

Hello
I never hunted Coyotes down there but have hunted Turkeys and I hope to come down in march to hunt Spring Turkey again.do you hunt Turkeys?? what about hogs ,would love to be able to hunt some hogs while I am in florida hunting Turkeys. what area are you in .I hunted north-west of Ocala in the devils hammock wma and in gulf hammock also.
I have friends that live in Inglis and stay with them when i come down
thanks
Dave

I only hunted turkey once and that was back home in Oregon. Have never tried it here. Got nothing against trying something new though. I have hunted hogs, hard to find a place to hunt other than WMAs and I'm not real fond of hunting those during general gun season, too many morons in the woods for me. Butler Co.? Guessing your from Pa judging from your name and your county? What brings you all the way down here for turkeys, I know you have them closer to home?

Grumpy,

Don't give up our secret of a state full of 'yotes that NOBODY hunts!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

$bob$

Hey all,

I'm in the Jacksonville area... I'd like to try to call some coyotes, but I'm not sure where to start. I've missed most of the hunting season on the WMAs, but I might go out during small game season and see if I can take a couple of 'yotes with my AR 15 with the 22 lr kit in it...

So where are you guys from? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-dave

I don't know Dave, we could probably teach you to call coyotes, but the combination of pharmacist and ARs, that's a little scary.
But seriously folks, if your interested in doing some calling, send me an e-mail. There should be several WMAs in the northeast that we could try out during small game season.

My wife and I just visited Greenswamp wma on new years day, we were checking it out for a future spring turkey hunt. They keep a sort of score board at the check stations with the season and daily hog and deer kills on. They had three coyotes listed as being taken this season, so there must be a few in the area. I was reading in the regs that you can't use a light to hunt with so it looks like it will be daytime hunting only there. I won't be in the area again until sometime in may this year so I doubt if there will be any hunting on greenswamp then.

Got no problem with that. What do ya say Dave, you up for the challange? By the way, how do you feel about bears?

where are yall hunting in ocala? i am originally from there and still go back to visit my family and do some hunting with my dad in a lease he is in off the Ocklawaha river near Marshall Swamp and Heether Island just east of ocala...

lighterknot,

I've always hunted the Hughes Island area but it's loaded with bears and you're quite likely to call in a bear there.

Last year I saw tracks of a huge old boar that send shivers up my spine and I went back to my old favorite of hunting Hopkins Prairie.

If you called in an aggressive bear you might very well find yourself having to shoot it and if it was a justified shooting you'd still end up having to tell your story to a judge and that wouldn't be any fun regardless of the outcome.

Grumpy has a honey hole that he might and might not share... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

$bob$

How is the hunting in FL, i am relocting in the spring to fort myers area, not sure how the hunting is , i will miss hunting in PA, i will probable fly up for bear/deer season. I know the fishing is great, but i heard the bugs eat you alive while hunting. any thoughts would great, i hunt just about everything, looking forward to getting a gator and some hogs.

That information can be bought for the right price. Let's see, how about you buy breakfast. But, I start early and cover a lot of terrain. Bob, you going to get to go next weekend? I leave out of here about 3:30. Let me know which direction your coming from and we can meet somewhere. If your coming from the south, you could just meet me at my house.

I used to bowhunt hopkins prairie when i was in high school...small world. My dad is on the board of directors for the smoke pole and arrow hunt club off of sharpe's ferry road and that place has a lot of bobcats and a fair amount of coyotes...not to mention all the damn bears!! Next time i am planning a trip down to see him i may have to look you guys up.

hey grumpy if you keep me hunting n i will buy breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I love hunting, but i heard so many bad stories about florida i thought i would have to give it up. I have lived in PA my whole life and have hunted out west and alaska. I love to bow hunt, turkey, predators,and rifle hunt. i am looking into buying a marina, so i can trade some good fishing.What part do you live in, i will relocating to fort myers area south to marco, not sure where yet still looking, i have some business to finish up then i hope to be out of here by end of May. TALK TO YOU SOON

Hey guys, there is one more but I am up in the Tallahassee area. I have never actually went specifically for predators in Florida but have seen them from the treestand when waiting for the deer.

I have been reading the board for months and have just ordered the Predation E-caller for a trip I am taking to Kansas in a few weeks. Deer season is over there and I have to hunt something while I am there so I have done the research for months and am going to give it a shot. My dad's place is covered with Yotes and they need some thinning, or so he says.

When I get back, I am going to the Apalachicola National Forest to give it a try as I know there are plenty of dogs in there. However, hunting the plains of Kansas and hunting the pine woods will be two entirely different tasks.

Anyhow, if any of you are this far "North" in the Sunshine State, drop me a line and we will give it a try.

I'm down here too.(Tampa area). I've been going to WMA's as well. Small game season restricts you to rimfire & shotgun though. Plenty of dogs here too.

Noleball, you just say the word and I'm there. Been wanting to see that part of the state anyway. I think Bob is moving to your area. Guess you can't be all bad if your a florida state fan. You do know your not supposed to use e-caller here.

Critrgetr, I'm in Brandon, we'll have to hook up and compare notes. Had a conversation with the fish and game and was told you can use centerfire pistols, just not rifles. Also, you can use whatever size shot you want in your shotgun as well for coyotes. However, I do carry a Ruger 10/22 mag at times, works great.

Hey all,

I'm not sure you can't use electronic calls on WMA's. According to this post linky linky You can use electronic calls for non game animals ie yotes (but not bobcat). Also I wouldn't use a pistol as I was told by a ranger at Osceola that that would constitute a centerfire firearm which is a no no...

-dave

Back