22BR comments please.

yotekyllr

I have been looking around for something different in the .224 realm. Recently, I ran across a nice unfired Savage custom chambered in 22BR.

I would like to hear from members that have any experience with this chambering and hear your opinions on it. Has anybody used this for varmints? Also, information on case forming would be appreciated.

I am also looking seriously a the 22PPC. I see that both these cartriges are similar in ballistics to the 22-250 but accuracy potential is greater in a proper stick.

Thank you in advance for your comments!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
"... Recently, I ran across a nice unfired Savage custom chambered in 22BR.

I would like to hear from members that have any experience with this chambering and hear your opinions on it. Has anybody used this for varmints? Also, information on case forming would be appreciated.

I am also looking seriously a the 22PPC. I see that both these cartriges are similar in ballistics to the 22-250 but accuracy potential is greater in a proper stick.

Thank you in advance for your comments!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

The 22BR and 22 PPC are not equal to the 22-250.

They are about halfway between the 223 and the 22-250.

As to accuracy... in equal rifles with equal "everything" the 22BR and PPC will edge out the 22-250 at a benchrest match, but if you are looking for a Benchrest rifle, don't waste your time with either, and go to the 6mm versions.

If you are looking for an accurate field rifle, the 22BR Savage is an excellent rifle, and barrel life will be much better than a 22-250.

I have several .22BR's, including one that I put together myself on a Savage, using a barrel from Sharp Shooter Supply.

The .22BR is a pure joy to work with. Case forming is straightforward and easy. Neck turning may well be required, depending on the chamber of the specific rifle. All of my .22BR's do require neck turning, but the Savage with the SSS barrel needs just a light clean up cut. Chamber length varies a lot between various reamer designs too - one of mine requires minimal trimming after necking down, the other two have much shorter chamber necks.

Accuracy in all my .22BR's is superb. My Savage is still in the tupperware factory stock, and even with an inexpensive Cabela's 4.5-14 scope, it agg's in the high three's using 40 gr. Vmax at an honest 4000 fps. Case life loading at that level appears to be nearly indefinite - some of my Lapua cases have been loaded dozens of times at that level now, and still going strong. I've put a couple thousand rounds down that barrel, getting it plenty hot, plenty of times, and often 200 rounds between cleanings. It's still shooting lights out.

Easy to load for, low recoil, relatively mild report, superb accuracy, flat trajectory, good barrel life, excellent case life and extremely graphic terminal effect on p-dogs all add up to make the .22BR my hands down all time favorite cartridge for shooting prairie dogs. I've used it on many other varmints as well and it does great on 'chucks and coyotes too, but really shines most brightly in the prairie dog patch.

The .22BR is an awesome little round. And the Savage makes for a very economical way to get into a great shooting semi custom. I say go for it and you'll be glad you did!

- DAA

That cartridge is very accurate and you'll like it. I had mine done in '87 or '88 and at that time brass had to be made from 7mmBR stuff because that's all there was. Neckturning was mandatory. Today you just neck down 6mm brass, which isn't difficult. That's about it. The 22BR just loves to shoot little bitty groups and finding a good load is easy. With my gun shooting 50's, accuracy is anywhere from 3700 to 4000 depending on the powder. It's fully the equal of a 22-250 and much easier to find a fast load that shoots well. I'd say buy the gun if it's reasonably priced.

Edit: I was writing when DAA posted. I needn't have bothered because what he said pretty much sums it up. His gun is very effective on pd's, I've seen it shoot.

Last edited:
DAA....on the 22BR note, a quick question....what is the twist on that savage you got from SSS?

Thanks

Bluedog

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
I have been looking around for something different in the .224 realm. Recently, I ran across a nice unfired Savage custom chambered in 22BR.

I've got both, reason I had the 22Br build I could get more
velocity using less powder than the 22-250 and it's a great varmit caliber. Since cases are formed from 6Br brass you might want to check as they have two chambers for the 22br
.22 BR Norma. - .246" Neck & .254" Neck *
.22 Rem BR - .246" Neck (Rem. Brass)

I got those chambers of Mike Bryant's site.

I equally like the 22ppc it's not going to have the range for varmit shooting like the 22Br but it's an accurate case. I still have afew 22ppc Sako cases and the only difference to me is one you have to fire form and more likely have to turn necks (220 Laupa) case vs just neck down.

Well good luck

These are the rifles specs and mods. As I was told by the owner.

-Savage model 12 LRPV / right bolt/ left port
-original chamber was 22-250
-unfired barrel reamed and restamped 22BR
-barrel cut and recrowned to 24"

Also he was unaware of the chamber difference and does not know which standard was used.

What are your thoughts on the factory barrel work? From what I was told, the work was done by a good local GS http://www.jarrettrifles.com/history.html

I am trying to get my ducks in a row to find out what my total investment will be. What are you guys using for dies? I am looking at redding right now. Will I need the neck measurment of the chamber for this. I am a little confused about this, is the only difference between the two the neck diameter or also case length?

Thank you all for the great info you put forth.

A side note/ He is asking a little less than the Original MSRP.

Thanks, Allen

I have a Cooper 22 in 22br, and its a great cartridge. Mine is very accurate, probably the second most accurate rifle I own, next to a 6ppc br. rifle. It has been accurate with anything I have shot in it, but the best accuracy by far is with the vv135 powder and a 52gr bullet. I don't really think you will see much difference in accuracy between a properly loaded 22br and a 22ppc. velocity is good, just under a 22-250 and not by much. My brass is a little of a pain to make as the rifle has a tight neck, and I have to turn them. other than that no problems with the brass. only use the Lapua now, but have used rem and norma. If I were you I would snap it up now.
Barry

Quote:
DAA....on the 22BR note, a quick question....what is the twist on that savage you got from SSS?

It's a 14 twist, as is my Nesika/Lilja. For how I use them, the 14 is perfect.

- DAA

Quote:

-original chamber was 22-250
-unfired barrel reamed and restamped 22BR
-barrel cut and recrowned to 24"

Also he was unaware of the chamber difference and does not know which standard was used.

What are your thoughts on the factory barrel work?...

What are you guys using for dies? I am looking at redding right now...

Will I need the neck measurment of the chamber for this. I am a little confused about this, is the only difference between the two the neck diameter or also case length?

Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of rechambered factory barrels. But if the barrel is truly unfired and the price is right? That's totally up to you. Myself, I'd just pass on the factory barrel.

The fact that the barrel is not marked with the chamber neck diameter, and that the owner does not know, would have me guessing that the chamber probably does not require neck turning. But! You can NOT take that for granted, you WILL NEED to find out what the neck diameter and over all length of that chamber is before you load ammo for it. Easy enough to do, though.

Frankly, not marking neck diameter on a barrel rechambered in a cartridge like the .22BR smacks of amateur hour at the 'smiths place. Again, might be more than good enough, and if the price is good enough, what the heck, I guess. Your call. For me, my prejudice against rechambered factory barrels, combined with my lack of trust for a 'smith that would not mark neck diameter on a .22BR barrel, combined with my lack of trust for an owner who doesn't even know what he has, I'm definitely passing on this one. But, that's just me, and it really should NOT influence your decision. I've never been a bargain hunter when it comes to buying rifles anyway.

For dies, the Redding will be great. If using the Type S or Competition, you'll need to know your loaded round neck o.d. before ordering your bushings though. But, you'll need to know that anyway, to see if you need to turn necks for that chamber or not.

- DAA

I'm with DAA since the 22BR case is shorter than the 22-250 a new chamber had to be cut. You would also think since the 22BR is a non factory case some cases would of been furnished for throating or at least reamer print given. My 22Br is a tight neck as soon as that rifle was finished I was out shooting it had my dies turned neck all I was lacking was the rifle. Just my .02

I've done some thinking about this rifle and I will pass.

Thank you all for the info. It has helped to sway me toward just building a 22br off of my own action. Some things just don't set right with me as you pointed out DAA. I am wondering now why he would have had a 22br built out of a new LRPV and has no knowledge of the chamberings as well as the deal with the stock barrel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I think I will enjoy having one built to my specs much better. Especially, picking a quality barrel and gunsmith.

I have been burned before with crap like this.LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

The more I ponder it, I can come up with the extra cash to build to my liking..

Thanks again, Allen

Quote:
I've done some thinking about this rifle and I will pass.

Thank you all for the info. It has helped to sway me toward just building a 22br off of my own action. Some things just don't set right with me as you pointed out DAA. I am wondering now why he would have had a 22br built out of a new LRPV and has no knowledge of the chamberings as well as the deal with the stock barrel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I think I will enjoy having one built to my specs much better. Especially, picking a quality barrel and gunsmith.

I have been burned before with crap like this.LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

The more I ponder it, I can come up with the extra cash to build to my liking..

Thanks again, Allen

One last thought.

Savage has a custom shop, and it might be a factory custom.

You didn't say how much it was, but if the price is attractive, you might get the serial number and call Savage and ask if it was a 22BR when it left the factory.

I once saw an add on the gun range bulletin board for a Remington 6mmBR for $700, and it looked "iffy". I thought it was a rebarreled 700 BDL.

When I went to see the gun it was a brand new 40-XBBR (a $3,500 rifle) that had never fired a shot outside of the factory - I bought it (I mean, well - Duh!!).

If you like this Savage, look into it... it might be a real good deal.

He want's 1k. Its a good price if all is well. I tried to call him again tonight, but no reponse. If I can, I'll drive down Saturday and take look at it. The rifle is 2hrs from here. Cat, I'm sure it isn't a factory custom. The gentleman said it was a 22-250 originally. I'm would assume thats why the original 26" is a 24" bbl now. But, still some question as to why he did this, to a new rifle, and doesn't know the specs of the chamber. I'll check it out, and if it is a new action with a stamped neck dia. of a proper spec then I might bite. I don't think there is much of a market here for a 22br. (SC). So if necessay I will wait and see if he wants to sell lower. I figure the action and stock are worth at least $700 together . So I might still pick it up and try it; and if I'm dissipointed I will have a barrel ordered.

Keep an eye on this rifle for sale. Assume it won't sell very fast, if at all, because it's a Frankenstein build. Wait a bit and then offer him a low bid to make up for the cost of ordering a new barrel so you're not worried about blowing yourself up or running into some problems with the customized factory barrel.

A "new" modified Savage, with a new barrel for $1000 I'd pass...

What about the feed and magazine? BR's are much shorter and I believe the mag and follower would need to be modified, too.

I think you could have a superb custom 22br, 22ppc, 6br or 6ppc built for that price or maybe just a little more.

I have a limited production factory Ruger(1992-1993only) in 22PPC that is sweet to shoot(cost me $350 in 1996... still new in box). It's a heavy gun as are all Ruger VT's with the laminated beaver tail forend stock. I shoot 50 and 55 V-Max at 3600-3750fps, very accurate.

I have shot many 22 and 6br's and they were just as pleasant and nearly as accurate, some even more accurate. Big benefit to BR and PPC rounds is they use less powder so are cheaper to load. PPC uses small primers and if memory serves me correct the BR's use large primers.

DAA gave you good advice on the 22BR and PPC chamberings and their affectiveness as varmint rounds! Bang...SPLAT!!!! From zero to 300yds absolutely deadly, 300-500 still super. Beyond that the 6's are a better choice.

Just my opinion... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If the neck dia. isn't stamped on the barrel, it should be. It probably only means that it's a chamber for unturned cases, but on a rechamber it should still be there.....as DAA pointed out, it could mean amateur hour. If the owner doesn't know anything about that chamber, not a good sign. Definitely find out who did the work and get hold of him. And if the owner can't tell you or doesn't or just doesn't want to say, it could've been his buddy playing gunsmith for all you know. Regardless, at $1K that's nowhere near a good deal. I'd shine it on. Build your own gun for that kind of money.

Back