Missed Big Bobcat!

GC

I'm about sick over it. It wasn't much of a shot opportunity, but it was an opportunity and I couldn't pull it off.

Dad and I went to another of our honey holes. A long ridge with lot's of spur ridges left and right, a deep, deep, rough hollow on either side. This ridge has been timbered a long time ago and ever so often there are grown up clear-cuts along its length. There is an OLD logging trail down the spine of the ridge. This old trail has coyote tracks galore, going both ways. Lots of scat of different ages and sizes. AND, bobcat tracks!

At one point there is a real bottleneck where the ridgetop pinches hard together and gets real narrow and razorbacked. On the left there is a grown up real brushy side. Real thick. On the right there is an open face with scattered mature trees where the loggers selectivly cut. The old tops of the removed trees are scattered about the slope. On the left there is a spring in the deep hollow and some car sized boulders all down the bottom. Rough country. Usually has wild hog sign in there too.

The wind was quartering to me from the left to right. I set up looking down the old trail in a small saddle. Dad was over my right shoulder downwind. Visibility was limited to just the old trail in front of me. I wanted to call anything right down the trail into the saddle which would be my "kill zone." That's funny, "kill zone!"

Anyway, I'm working the Sceery AP-6 busy and high pitched, bird distress tailing the call off occasionally with just a hint of a courser pitch. I'm trying to call a cat because of the fresh tracks we've seen. After twenty minutes I suddenly realize there is a bobcat sitting beside a stump behind some tall yellow grass about 80 yards away at the far edge of the saddle. It's just sitting there watching me. When it arrived I have no clue, it's just suddently - THERE. My rifle is snugged into my shoulder, left hand on the forearm, balanced over my left knee. Right hand is holding the call on top of the stock. I'm telling you this so I hope you understand how little movement was required to let the call slip out of my hand and lower my face onto the stock behind the scope. I did this and the cat hunkered down behind the yellow grass. He's out of sight, but I'm loking through my scope set at 3X and I'm right on that yellow grass. I figure a lip squeak or two and I've got a cat. Yea, right. I lip squeaked and that cat took two big jumps away at a hard quartering angle across the trail and dissappeared. I snapped a shot at him as he cleared the trail but missed clean. As the shot broke I can still see the crosshair drift over his back, too late to stop the shot.

He was a biggun. I mean a real biggun. Long legged and dark gray, nearly black it seemed along his back. Oh well, such is hunting.

i know your pain GC. i myself missed a bobcat earlier this season. what the kick in the butt was for me is he was in the open out about 60 to 70 yards in front of me. it was the worlds esiest shot. i guess i got so excited i pushed myself to pull the trigger when i wasnt ready to and all i saw was ground explode about 2 foot behind him and he was gone before i could even get the next shell chambered /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif . you win some lose some i guess.

Of the cats I've called, I've never had one act like this bobcat did. Spooky is mild, panicked might better describe the reaction. I can only guess that it had been observing me for a little while before I saw it and had me figured out. I've replayed the situation over in my mind several times and don't really know what I could have done differently. Maybe not moved at all, however, I was afraid it would loose interest and wander off. Continue calling and it already has you pinpointed, now it's expecting to see something, a prey critter. I don't know, that's breaks I guess. One thing I do remember, it was a BIG bobcat. As big as any I've seen. Long legged, long in the body, tall, and very dark colored. Maybe another day.

Well at least you can say you've seen one GC. I've called over lots of older cat sign so far and haven't called one in yet. Not finding any fresher sign so far. I seem to be about three days behind them everyewhere I go :rolleyes: But I'll keep working these areas. Way too much sign not to. Sooner or later! Jimmie

Sorry GC I had to do it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Got this one in NY about a mounth ago, again with the 22 Mag.

DSC00250.jpg

I hunt cats alot, and you should be able to get another shot before the season ends in the same area. Cats respond to the same call more than once, and the best thing is they don't use the wind as a yote does. I find the bobcat alot easier to call in, just harder to see approach. Snow really helps pick him out.

Don't worry GC, I bet you get another try!

OH, YOU DIRTY sledDOG! That's a pretty cat.

I've got three places located with quite a bit of cat sign right now. You can bet that I'll be giving them a sincere try in the next month and a half the season here is open. On a seperate note, how does that Ruger semi-auto .22 Magnum shoot for you? I'm going to buy a new .22 maggie. I've been looking real hard at the CZ bolt gun, but my nostalgic side wants a Winchester 9422M as they're being discontinued. Both of those having a very good reputation for accuracy, the CZ with the best trigger. I've thought of the Ruger but felt it would need quite a bit of tuning to compete with the other two.

GC - I like the Ruger just fine, but I would not rank it very high in the accuracy dept., if you want to shoot heads off chipmunks at 75 yards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Its not bad accuracy, just average. About 2 inches at 100 yards on a calm day. I average right around an inch at 50 yards with its favorite ammo.

But as a calling gun, after I installed an aftermarket hammer and sear it is more than acceptable at 22 mag ranges on predators. Plus, it did not have the updated double ejector system, as I purchased the gun used. Ruger did the retrofit free, and completed the work in a couple of weeks. But that Ruger points great, is light, and I usually hit what I'm aiming at real well.

But if you are looking for a real tackdriver, the Ruger may not be your best choice right out of the factory. Lots and lots of aftermarket goodies to make them perform, but I had no need for anything but a lighter trigger.

I'm 3 for 4 with this gun, and I believe my lost coyote was poor ammo choice, as I was using a hyper-velocity 30 grain bullet. I have settled on 40 grain Winchester HP's, and the cat last night had a tiny pinhole in, and maybe a dime size exit. About a 40 yard shot.

My coyote I shot with it the other day spun a couple times, bolted only 20 yards or so, then walked a couple steps and dumped.

Its O.K. for close shooting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

sleddog,

Nice Tom Cat there... but GC is right.. You're a DOG!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

GC,

Consider the Marlin 925MC
925MC Link

I bought a Rifle Basix trigger from Midway...
Rifle Basix Midway Link

... and I have a pretty good 1.5# trigger for it now. I put it in myself and if I can do it I'm sure you can because I'm a certified gun klutz.

A semi-auto might be nice but it seems that if I take my time one shot is always enough. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

$bob$

Back