This weekends Bobcat and Coyote (pictures)

Byron South

With things beginning to spring up here in East Texas Sam and I are trying to squeeze the most out of what we have left of the year. Soon the fire ants, chiggers, mosquitos, and snakes will put a halt to the fun. This combined with the leaves and other vegitation budding out making it tough on seeing approaching critters puts a crimp on being able to enjoy the hunt. Plus I hate sweating. Spring and Summer are my two least favorite seasons. Usually by this time I'm getting a little burned out and need a break. This burned out phase usually last about a week or so and that makes the wait until September tough. I'm sure most of you can relate.

Well enough of that. Sam and I went out on Friday evening and made three stands and didn't call a thing. Not to be discouraged we made plans to meet at daylight the next morning. We had a long narrow place to hunt so we started at one end with the wind in our faces and made our first stand. No takers. We moved foreward into the place a few hundred yards and found another small opening. At about 5 minutes into the stand we called up a bobcat. In typical bobcat fashion she came to the edge of the cover and just sat down analyzing the situation. This was just a small field but it had just enough roll in contour that when she sat down I could only see the top of her shoulders and head. She sat there for quiet a while and began to appear nervous. Experience has taught me to be patient with bobcats but when they begin to appear nervous that you had better take the first available shot. With only her head and neck clear I put it just under her chin and let the bullet go. The 55 grain accu-tip struck her just where I intended. The shot wasn't but about 60 yards but when she went down I could no longer see her. I immediately got up and went to her. I've seen many cats that appear dead get up and flee never to be found. This cat however was going nowhere as the bullet had severed her neck for a clean kill.
march08bobcat.jpg

We moved foreward on the property another 3-400 yards and began calling again. I began with the cottontail and let it play for a few minutes. I then looked at my watch and realized I only had a short amount of time left before I had to have my son at baseball practice. I made the decision to spice things up a bit and switched the FOXPRO to the coyote pup distress sound. Almost immediatetly Sam spots a coyote coming from the far side of the field. He is coming hard but is on a route that will take him down wind of us and in the woods to our left if I let him continue. As hard as he was going I made the split second decision to try and get him to stop before he made the wood line. he was still about 250 yards out making his swing around us when I WHOOOOOFED loud as I could. This had an almost immediate effect on him and he slammed on the breaks to get a look. I had waited almost too long and he stopped right behind the limbs on a large tree out in the edge of the field. I then rushed the shot and sent the bullet right over his back. Sam was on the camera so when we reviewed the film we could clearly see the vapor trail just and inch or so high over his withers. Oh well we had a bobcat in the bag and had to rush too get Tanner to BB practice. Fun morning. Sure beat sitting on the couch.

Didn't get a chance to get back out until late Sunday. Sam and I met up and made plans to concentrate on bobcats. The Toms this time of year are on the prowl looking for females to breeed with. This is my favorite time of year to call cats (Middle of February through the middle of March). We made two stands in some really good looking bobcat habitat with no takers. At least no takers that we saw. With only a few minutes left of daylight Sam and I decided not to try for cats with the limited amount of daylight left. We headed to a more open spot that had produced coyotes before. I started out as I always do with the rabbits (DSG cottontail). With the light failing I decided after only 3-4 minutes to go to the Coyote pup distress sound. With the light failing this large male came right to the call. I shot him standing no more than 10 yards from the FOXPRO call.
march16coyote.jpg

Hope you enjoy the story. Sam and I sure enjoyed the hunt.

Good Hunting and God Bless,

Byron /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Congrats, Sounds like you had a good time, Now I really like that truck camo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Thanks Guys,

Abolthunterwssm,

I love this rifle. I liked the BM Predator too but it is HEAVY. This rifle is a lot lighter. A joy to shoot and carry. Very handy is the best way to descibe the feel of this rifle.

For those that are interested, I talked with Remington last week and the "Signature Edition" should be shipping by May. Acu Sports is taking pre-orders as of now. The Signature Rifle will only be available through Acu-Sports or Gander Mountain. The basic differance between the Signature rifle and the standard 18" R-15 is the Signature comes with an adjustable two stage trigger, nicer YHM customizable float tube, and the Dark Earth Egro grip. To my way of thinking these are the only add ons a guy would ever need or want on a predator rifle.

Big10guage,

Thanks. That stuff is tough as nails too. I've had that on my truck for almost 3 years now. I've been through some real rough brush but when I remove the camo job there wont be a scratch on it.

Good Hunting and God Bless,

Byron

As always a great read. I'm waiting, as patient as I can, for my local shop to call and tell me he's got a r-15 .223 18" in for me. Last Friday he had the .223 22" in for $929 which is the best I've seen or heard them going for.

You would have had better luck if you had them Breakfast Burritos we have all read about !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Good Job Byron !

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

You the man Byron /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif, great story as always. So what was on the Mexican food menu for those days /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Had to have had something Mexican to have that kind of luck. Just kidding /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. Good looking cat and yote. Same here as far as spring coming on, Its no fun fighting snakes, them darn fireants and chiggers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif. May try to get out a couple more times, but then it will be time to hang it up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Can't wait til fall, maybe I will be able to have one of those R-15s or at least an AR by then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Tony

Thanks some more :).

Rod is the more supersticious of our bunch and has come to the conclusion that we must eat mexican food before we have success. I'm not very supersticious but its hard to argue with success. Sam and I did have mexican food though not to take chances.

I love mexican food though and rarely go two days in a row wihtout eating something mexican, so I'm pretty safe. Now though I have a good excuse to eat it even more. Thank goodness Rod didn't think it was Italian food or I would be screwed. Hey, I like Cajun food too! Hey, maybe we can experiment with Cajun food! Who knows, our success may double.

You guys are great,

Good Hunting, and God Bless,

Byron /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mexican food??? If I ate Mexican food before I went out, I wouldn't be able to see anything through the green fog that always seems to envelope me after. Although anything getting within 50 yrds of me would probably drop dead as stiff as a board. lmao

Im likin that Pickup... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

By the Way Congratulations /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

You have to be the most luky guy I have ever seen. But non the less I alyays enjoy the pictures, stories and information that you share. Thanks.

Nice going, Byron. The wind was blowing about 30 mph at daylight this morning. Might be 40 or better now.

The kids basketball, baseball and softball have pretty much killed all my weekends this spring.

Quote:
Mexican food??? If I ate Mexican food before I went out, I wouldn't be able to see anything through the green fog that always seems to envelope me after. Although anything getting within 50 yrds of me would probably drop dead as stiff as a board. lmao

It's called fogging. I practice it often. I think it works better than MISTING . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Byron,
You didn't give this Sam fella my room did you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Make some time cuz im coming for hogs , coyotes, and BBQ this coming season. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
Back