Savage Factory Muzzle Brake?

Lonnie

Anybody shot any of the Savage weather warrior rifles with the factory muzzle brake? How much recoil reduction do you think it gets you? I have one rifle with a brake and I love it. I know it is loud but I sure love the lack of recoil. Just wondered if the factory one is as good as the aftermarkets?

I have been told by one fellow who builds and sells his own muzzle breaks and specializes in Savage rifles is that you can expect up to about a 30% reduction in recoil with the factory brake. How much depends on the cartridge and the tolerance between the bullet and the bore. The more gas generated by the cartridge, the greater the reduction. The closer the bore of the muzzle brake to the bullet OD, the greater the reduction.

Lonnie,

I have it in the 270 wsm, and love it. I'm figuring it's in the 20 - 30% range, but haven't done any specific calculations. Being able to turn it on or off makes it more appealing to me.

Being a Savage makes it more appealing.

RB

Thanks guys. I am looking at a 7mm mag and just wondered how it would do. I do not enjoy shooting a rifle that knocks me around. I can wear ear protection for the noise.

Quote:
Thanks guys. I am looking at a 7mm mag and just wondered how it would do. I do not enjoy shooting a rifle that knocks me around. I can wear ear protection for the noise.

If you want recoil reduction, get a good recoil pad installed. A Sims Vibration Labs pad or an Xcoil by HiViz are considered probably the best in terms of reducing felt recoil. You would be amazed at how much they reduce the impact to your shoulder muscles and bones.

If you want to go cheaper, get a Sims slipover pad so you won't have to pay for installation. They are about $20 at Wallyworld. They come in three sizes. The Sims pad comes in some pre fit models for a number of guns as does the Xcoil.

Back