How many groundhogs for 2008?

Quote:
DAA and I made it out for some chuck hunting. We hunted in a unique way to start the day. We did some chuck control at a golf course using shotguns. I was driving and Dave was literally riding shotgun as we killed 27 chucks in two and a half hours. It has been a long time since I shot the scatter gun and the smell of shotgun powder brought back some fond memories from my youth. #6 shot is quite effective on chucks out to 50 yards!

That sounds like fun!

"DAA and I made it out for some chuck hunting. We hunted in a unique way to start the day. We did some chuck control at a golf course using shotguns. I was driving and Dave was literally riding shotgun as we killed 27 chucks in two and a half hours. It has been a long time since I shot the scatter gun and the smell of shotgun powder brought back some fond memories from my youth. #6 shot is quite effective on chucks out to 50 yards!"
=========================================================
Stormbringer, Specifically, what critter are you calling "chucks"? I lived in Denver for a summer back in '68 and we shot a bunch of some kinds of marmot type critters, but they weren't as large as our eastern groundhogs.
I've got some really tight turkey chokes, but I'm guessing any load of 6's @ 50 yds, would just wound most of our groundhogs. It'd be a slow death for most of them.
I'm in no way condemning your methods, it does sound like fun! I'm just trying to get a picture of the size of the critters you've got out there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
F1

I am pretty sure our rock chucks would be yellow bellied marmots. They average about 6-10lbs in weight. Most of what we shot with the shotguns were last years or this years chucks and were rather small. Most of our shots were also much closer with several being at 20 yards or less. Of those we shot I only remember one not being recovered.

We also shot some 4 shot and the 6's we used were high velocity. No suffering was inflicted that I could see and a few chucks did receive a second blast to put them down.

Mike.

I did not mention that the golf course we were shooting at required you to use only "short range weapons" for chuck control. Bow, shotgun, muzzle loader, air rifle.

Mike.

Quote:
After looking over the rules for picture posting I will not be posting any pictures at this site.

Mike.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Good call /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

Had a great day, thanks for the company and the driving Mike! Not being a golfer, I never spend any time on golf courses. But I have to say, that was a very beautiful setting and a really neat place to spend a warm sunny morning. And getting to ride around in a golf cart shotgunning chucks in that setting was truly unique.

- DAA

Quote:
DAA and I made it out for some chuck hunting. We hunted in a unique way to start the day. We did some chuck control at a golf course using shotguns.

I like that....you take their money in every golf tournament, then shoot their chucks. Not bad. You and Dave are definitely bad news on those things.

First blood on Saturday. Only one I saw all weekend.
250yds, .243 87gr Vmax folded him in half backwards, literally...
turkeyopener002.jpg

The other side was not pretty...

That's what I'm talkin' about, man I can't wait to get my 243 running. I've got atleast a week to go till she's ready /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif. No mistaking when you hit one with that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I will second that. My 243 is my favorite "tear them up" chuck rifle. 55 ballistic tips, 70 TNT's, 87 Vmaxes all do a number on chucks.

I have several chuck rifles and usually rotate them to save barrel life.

I think it's time to take the 220 swift and the good old 243 out of the safe for the next trip.

Mike.

Got another groundhog yesterday at a measured 207 yards. Should have had 4 but the first 3 i missed so i checked the sights and figured out that the gun was shooting 6" to the right.

If it doesn't stop raining around here, we'll be looking for the hogs in the trees, instead of on the ground /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif You'd need hip boots just to walk across the fields!
We've got grass up to our _ss, and no drying weather in sight for cutting and making hay! On the bright side, some farmers have got their beans planted, and some are just starting to poke out of the ground!
F1

Know what you mean F1, I can't find a windless, dry day to get my 243 broke in and sighted. It's killing me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. By the time I get after them again, it'll be a groundhog safari /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif!

Been stranded @ work ever since. Would need a Patriot missle to whack a chuck from here!
I'm vicariously living through you guys, so keep stackin' em up!!!

you guy's are doing good. The weather has been nasty here in N.E. Ohio of late. cold 50's rain,wind. I took off yesterday and today. Did'nt even see one yesterday in 4 hrs.

I'll just go to the range and punch paper a little later unless it clears up. It pick's up here around mid/late June, Chuck pup's will be coming out then so the Coyotes will be walking tree lines for snacks also.

Back