Round Nose Bullets for 270?

greg223

After reading another thread, I got to thinking I would load a few for the ol'270. Got to looking in the Cabelas catalog, none there. Who makes them?

Hi Greg,

Think your out of luck pardner. I looked at the usual makers, Horn., Sierra, Speer, Nosler, and couldn't find a soft point. Remington still markets a loaded 150 soft point in 270, but doesn't offer the bullet as a component for sale.

Boom

IMHO..the bullet maker's are going to manufacture..what sell's..marketing "ole" fashioned r.n.'s & such make's no sense from a marketing standpoint..therefore bullet's such as "round-nose's" are going to have to go to the wayside..my guess would be is that there will be a day..when..ya can't even find soft point's anymore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif"heck" why screw around with proven producer's..when the tipped bullet's are sexier..they look better so they must be better right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Remington use to offer a 150 gr. roundnose Core-Lokt for the .270. They were poison on whitetails in the timber.

It's not really a roundnose, but it's the closest I've found. The 160 grain Nosler Partition is a semi-spitzer. I load them over RL-22 to a MV of 2850 (disclaimer...hot load..work up carefully) out of my 20" barreled ABolt. Though it's supposedly too long to properly stabilize in the 10 twist barrels standard for the .270 Win, this load is actually the most consistently accurate that I've ever loaded for this rifle.

When I'm on my game, it'll put three into the .4's, and it works fine on elk.

Mike

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like White Eagle found what I am looking for. I will order a box and see what I come up with.

I really have to disagree about thoughts on round nose bullets some of you have. I select them quite frequently, and, living in Michigan, find them very adequate for the type hunting I am doing.

Yes, there's an element of nostalgia here, but how is it that the 22 Hornet or splendid 257 Roberts still survive? Some of it has to do with wearing a wool red plaid coat, having a license pinned to your back, and, God forbid, walking to your stand as opposed to tooling out in a four wheeler.

I hunt mostly with Ruger No. 1's; again a gun that shouldn't be. Why the heck would I want one shot when I could carry something that could rattle them off faster than the deer's hoofbeats? I'm sorry but holding one extra cartridge with a roundnose stuffed out front with that gun just seems right. I haven't had a deer complaining yet!

Kudos to Hornady for making a bullet of tradition, that works, and that many of us still seek for certain applications!

Quote:
Yes, there's an element of nostalgia here, but how is it that the 22 Hornet or splendid 257 Roberts still survive? Some of it has to do with wearing a wool red plaid coat, having a license pinned to your back, and, God forbid, walking to your stand as opposed to tooling out in a four wheeler.

+1.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
I really have to disagree about thoughts on round nose bullets some of you have. I select them quite frequently, and, living in Michigan, find them very adequate for the type hunting I am doing.

I hunt mostly with Ruger No. 1's; again a gun that shouldn't be. Why the heck would I want one shot when I could carry something that could rattle them off faster than the deer's hoofbeats? I'm sorry but holding one extra cartridge with a roundnose stuffed out front with that gun just seems right. I haven't had a deer complaining yet!

Kudos to Hornady for making a bullet of tradition, that works, and that many of us still seek for certain applications!

Karl,
I love this post! I couldn't agree with you more. Of course, I wear wool when it's cold, have a Ruger No. 1 in the ancient .30-06, and/or, often hunt with my Marlin 1895 .45-70 that has no crossbolt safety - how scary huh! Roundnose bullets are often very, very, accurate and are devastating on game. Seriously, neat post Karl! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Yep, I just sometimes don't understand other fellow hunter's logic. I admire those who hunt with a recurve or a longbow...even though I use a compound (albeit with one pin and feather fletching). I use pointed bullets too depending on circumstances. The trend of thinking that new and improved methods exist so let's not follow the footsteps of our ancestors is scary...next thing you know and ALL meat in our freezers will have been purchased at the grocery store! I enjoy hunting, and do it because my Dad got me into it, his Dad got him into it...etc. It's all about tradition; certainly one reason we have failed the youth of today with their cell phones, laptops, and cyber games. Less is definately MORE!

And to you moly coated polymer tipped nickel plated synthetic camo dipped crowd: Try an old fashioned round nose...with LEAD (banned in CA due to a prehistoric vulture) exposed up front. You'll like the look of the bullet, and you'll like the performance on game as well!

ok..ya got me talked into it..i'm stopping by sportsman's warehouse this weekend to get some r.n.'s..for 25-caliber they had 4-5 boxe's a month or two ago..hope they still got "em"..if so i'm in../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

You'll love them! I ALWAYS use the Hornady 117 RN in my Roberts. They peel just like a banana within a deer, look neat, are reasonably priced, and are scary accurate out of my Ruger K1A.

karl..i'm "swingin" by tonight after work..i'm hoping because of their un-popularity..their still in stock..got my finger's crossed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gifon a side note i took my 1st coyote..with a 257 robert's..shooting a 117 grain r.n. in a factory load..to my surprise it didn't blow her up..i remember looking @ those "crude" bullet's & saying to myself i can't wait until i start reloading so i can shoot the "good" stuff..now i reload & have come full circle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back