homemade lure recipes

The best thing that I have found was to use part of a rabbit and strait coyote urine. Anything else tends to spook them.jmo

I've had good luck with Pitw's recipe of tainted deer meat and also tainted cat meat works well. I've also had good luck with coyote, fox or cat urine.

Jack, your tainted deer meat is illegal in Idaho.
You are using big game animal parts. Game fish and game birds wild or pen raised is illegal.

I C&P'd this from another site a while back. I wish I could remember where I got it so I could give credit............or place blame as the case may be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
Okay to use this bait, after it is brewed you can use an atomizer...sray bottle...to spray a shrub or grass area where you want to shoot, or you can place it onto some cotton balls in a plastic ziplock bag and set them out where you want to shoot.

BE WARNED DO NOT SPILL IT ON YOURSELF AS YOU WILL HAVE TO WEAR IT OFF

This is my number one bait for trapping or shooting nuicance fox and coyotes. An added bonus it it also attracts bucks when the deer come into rut, and has been the demise of many a large mature buck.

Ok, Here goes:

Go to your local stables and ask for some hoof trimming. You may need to time it with a visit from the ferrier, or have them saved for you. If you know a ferrier ask him to keep some for you.

The frog or center of the hoof is the best, but any part of the hoof will work.

Take the hooves and cut or break into 1 to 2 inches pieces.

Then take these pieces and an old pan or bucket, using a fish cooker and doing this outside, cover the hooves with water and begin boiling, making sure to keep the hooves covered with at least 1 inch of water. Boil as long as you like, but 1 to 2 hours is plenty.

Let the hooves and water cool, then place in sometype of container... I use the 1 gallon plastic jugs that restraunts get there mayonases in.

Pour the hooves and water into your container and fill to almost the top with clean fresh water. Set your container in full sun for as long as you want. It should turn black in a few days. The longer it sets the better it gets.

I usually make up a batch after the last cold spell of the year and leave it setting out until the first cold spell of the next year... Make sure to set your jug where dogs can't get to it.

Once you have some made, just add water to the jar once you take some out for use....

If you do not have an area that you can boil it first, you can start it from scratch in the jug in the sun but it takes a little longer to get going. If boiled first you can start to use it in about 2 to 3 weeks, if just sun brewed it takes about 6 weeks.

The photo shows my brew jar. You will notice a small plastic hose coming from the lid this is to let off gasses so that the jar does not explode. The plastic tubing keeps debris and flies from getting into the brew contaminating it. When brewing keep this up high, such as on a shed roof away from dogs.Okay to use this bait, after it is brewed you can use an atomizer...sray bottle...to spray a shrub or grass area where you want to shoot, or you can place it onto some cotton balls in a plastic ziplock bag and set them out where you want to shoot.

very interesting weasel. i'm going to have to try it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hdwolfer,
You are correct to point out that in Idaho using parts of game fish, birds or animals is not leagal. Thank you, I would not want any of the younger trappers get themselves in trouble with the F&G on my account. Years ago when I started trapping I was working on a ranch located on the Idaho/Utah state line. I did a lot of experimenting to see what worked best on coyotes. Utah defination of "bait" is, or at least it was then, anything that contains animal parts larger than 1 cubic inch, otherwise it was considered "lure". That area was a wintering area for deer and ground, rotted down deer meat worked well on coyotes, however in experimenting I found that ground and tainted house cat meat worked better (road kill).
Thanks again for pointing out the legalities.

IS it legal in Idaho to use non edible game animal/bird parts? We can here in WA.

Coyote bait.

In a gallon glass jar mix the following to make your solution.

Solution.
In gallon jar. Place.
1. Two pints fish oil, I like sun rendered best.
2. one pint glycerin
3. 20 heaping tablespoons sodium benzoate
4. 1 oz zinc valerian
5. 1.5 oz to 2 oz. tinctured asafetida
6. 8 full tablespoons ground beaver castor
7. 20 drops pure skunk essence
8. 1 pint red fox urine
9. add 4oz each of muskrat and mink glands(ground)
10. 1/4 oz Lovage Root Tincure
11. fill gallon jar with ingredients and water
11. Age at least 1 week, shake often.

This is a basic formulation nelson used, I added the lovage root for it helps in most cases.

Use rain water, do not use tap water, most tap water is clorinated and ruins the solution. If you plan on using on cats, change the lovage root to catnip oil. Catnip oil will work well for songdogs also. I also add 1/8 oz white musk crystals for my cat base.

Meat:
Beaver, Muskrat and if you can get it horse meat works well. Cat meat will work well also. I have tried other meats and these work best. Grind up the meat in my opinion. In a seperate gallon glass jar fill the jar until it is 2/3 full. Place cheese cloth over the opening (two layers) then put the lid on it, but not tight, it can explode. Leave this until a slight taint has begun. A slight taint is not a rotten meat, its just starting to sour. Once the meat is at this stage, buy a new wood spoon (dont use your wifes) and slowly mix the meat with solution to where the solution covers the meat by about 1 inch. Put the lid on and do not secure completely tight yet, it may still gas out. After a few days the sodium benzonate cures and stops the taint and you can seal the jar. I bury mine to age for atleast 6 months, the longer it ages, the better it is.

Keep in mind, you will spend some coin buying all the ingerdients. But you made your own bait/lure.

You can buy premade solutions from most trap supply house. Its ready to be poured over your tainted meats. It will be less costly than making your own, I have all these ingredients on the regular in my fur shed for making all my different lures, so to me its worth it. If your not making and buying ingredients in mass, your cheaper route would be to buy some premade solution.

As a switch up on this formula, you can also add 3 to 4 oz of yote anal glands(gound) to the mix, which gives a gland luyre call to it also, or cats for cats.

If you need some details on where to buy and which one of some great premade solutions that work just ask.

steelie, no.
no game animals, meat, hide or parts there of.
No feathers of any kind be it game wild or pen raised,no chickens either, plain and simple no natural products, no wool either.

Quote:
house cat meat worked better (road kill).

sure but there is an easier way than roadkill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
steelie, no.
no game animals, meat, hide or parts there of.
No feathers of any kind be it game wild or pen raised,no chickens either, plain and simple no natural products, no wool either.

That is not correct. Here is how it reads.

To use any part of a domestic or wild origin game bird,
game animal, game fish, or protected nongame wildlife for
bait in trapping furbearing animals, unprotected wildlife,
or predatory wildlife.

Basically says you can't use any game animal parts or protected non-game parts. Doesn't say anything about Domestic non game animals, Like sheep, chickens ect.

I C&P'd this from another site a while back. I wish I could remember where I got it so I could give credit............or place blame as the case may be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
Okay to use this bait, after it is brewed you can use an atomizer...sray bottle...to spray a shrub or grass area where you want to shoot, or you can place it onto some cotton balls in a plastic ziplock bag and set them out where you want to shoot.

BE WARNED DO NOT SPILL IT ON YOURSELF AS YOU WILL HAVE TO WEAR IT OFF

This is my number one bait for trapping or shooting nuicance fox and coyotes. An added bonus it it also attracts bucks when the deer come into rut, and has been the demise of many a large mature buck.

Ok, Here goes:

Go to your local stables and ask for some hoof trimming. You may need to time it with a visit from the ferrier, or have them saved for you. If you know a ferrier ask him to keep some for you.

The frog or center of the hoof is the best, but any part of the hoof will work.

Take the hooves and cut or break into 1 to 2 inches pieces.

Then take these pieces and an old pan or bucket, using a fish cooker and doing this outside, cover the hooves with water and begin boiling, making sure to keep the hooves covered with at least 1 inch of water. Boil as long as you like, but 1 to 2 hours is plenty.

Let the hooves and water cool, then place in sometype of container... I use the 1 gallon plastic jugs that restraunts get there mayonases in.

Pour the hooves and water into your container and fill to almost the top with clean fresh water. Set your container in full sun for as long as you want. It should turn black in a few days. The longer it sets the better it gets.

I usually make up a batch after the last cold spell of the year and leave it setting out until the first cold spell of the next year... Make sure to set your jug where dogs can't get to it.

Once you have some made, just add water to the jar once you take some out for use....

If you do not have an area that you can boil it first, you can start it from scratch in the jug in the sun but it takes a little longer to get going. If boiled first you can start to use it in about 2 to 3 weeks, if just sun brewed it takes about 6 weeks.

The photo shows my brew jar. You will notice a small plastic hose coming from the lid this is to let off gasses so that the jar does not explode. The plastic tubing keeps debris and flies from getting into the brew contaminating it. When brewing keep this up high, such as on a shed roof away from dogs.Okay to use this bait, after it is brewed you can use an atomizer...sray bottle...to spray a shrub or grass area where you want to shoot, or you can place it onto some cotton balls in a plastic ziplock bag and set them out where you want to shoot.
Great information I going to try it and thanks so much

Stink baits cause me problems when trapping, if I use any stink bait I catch Birds as in Vultures and Kara-Kara, they are on stink bait before you get 100 yards away, I find travel routes and set blind traps no bait works for me, i'm tired of releasing bird with a broken leg., Got any suggestions ??. i'm all ears . Murl B.

Stink baits cause me problems when trapping, if I use any stink bait I catch Birds as in Vultures and Kara-Kara, they are on stink bait before you get 100 yards away, I find travel routes and set blind traps no bait works for me, i'm tired of releasing bird with a broken leg., Got any suggestions ??. i'm all ears . Murl B.
Ok, “stink baits” aren’t rotting baits. They should’ve been tainted to just the right “stink” then preserved.
Using roadkill or even fresh meat in warm conditions will eventually start to rot and attract buzzards. Prepared baits shouldn’t.
We have different regs for trap size with the MB550 about as big as we can go. I’ve caught plenty of buzzards and owls and even turkeys and released them all unharmed.
When using baits I use a pipe in brush and they bait shoved down the pipe. If I make a dirt hole set, that hole is at least 12-14” deep with bait at the bottom.

Back