Question for you bear callers

Mainiac

When calling in the fall do females with yearlings respond as readily as males? What is the best and quickest way to judge in the field between the two?

Thanks

I don't think you can tell the difference without looking under their tail. In my area if you see one over 175lbs. It will more then likely be a male, but not for sure. The males run about 250lbs here but of course you are going to find much bigger at times. I have one in my living room that was 325lbs from the area I hunt and that was a real good bear for that area. But you can go 50 miles south and that would be aveage. Back to you your questions. Yes a female will come with her cubs so keep an eye out and you will also get more then one bear at times too. LIke I said I know of no way to tell them apart in the field. rupe

Rupedog,
Thanks for the reply.

I see you are handgun hunter. I also have the SBH Hunter in 44 mag and also have a Ruger Bisley I had converted to 475 Linebaugh. This will be the gun I carry bear hunting. I really love hunting with both of them.

Your welcome, I started hunting with a handgun back in about 97 and got hooked after getting a spike deer in 99. It is a blast and it so much easier to pack around with just a handgun.
It is so exciting calling in a bear and then taking it with a handgun.

Back