.243 coyote ammo?

skidooracer_99

this is my first coyote gun. just wondering what kinda ammo i should use on coyotes? im not interested in fur at all, coyotes are pests around farms here. just wanna kill them dead on the spot. and whats gonna be flatter shooting for long ranges? would standard 100 gr softpoint deer ammo knock them down harder or would something in the 55- 75gr with a v-max tip work better. thanks! what do you guys use?

Quote:
just use your deer amo it will work

I'll agree with that. Anything coming from a .243 will be pretty darn lethal and with the quickness /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I would say whatever your gun likes will be just about perfect, Although I wouldn't go too heavy because the bullet may not function properly on a coyote as it does on a deer (ie. expand).

Chupa

i just bought one box to start with to get everything sighted in. now im ready to stock up on ammo, just wanted to know what would be best before i go out and buy a bunch. since this gun is only for coyotes, i plan on buying one kind and sticking with it. just wanna get the best for my situation. im not worried about blowing holes in them

A bullet is a bullet... does it really matter?

100grn, 85grn, hollow point, soft point.

Somehow I really doubt the coyote is going to say "sh1t did he just shoot me with a 85grn Vmax... W.TF?"

Quote:
A bullet is a bullet... does it really matter?

100grn, 85grn, hollow point, soft point.

Somehow I really doubt the coyote is going to say "sh1t did he just shoot me with a 85grn Vmax... W.TF?"

OKAYYYYYYYYYYY, may be we should switch to de-caf?

Chupa

When all I had was my 243. I shot factory 100gr Remington Corelokts. Small exit and never had one move after being hit with it. Did try some 55gr Federal Premiums. They were a balistic tipped bullet. Caused hellacious damage but never had one move after being hit with one of them either but since I don't reload saw no reason to shoot the 55's at $30.00 a box.

It doesn't matter which bullet you choose. A .243 is plenty of gun, and any bullet you use will do the job. I'd choose whatever bullet that my gun shoots best.
Jazzball

I reload the Hornady 58 gr. v-max in .243. I just use Lee-loader ($25 or so at Cabelas) and make a few at a time. It makes for really inexpensive and very accurate rounds. It pounds them really hard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I know you don't care about fur, but this one hits so hard that I am thinking about another caliber (any excuse to buy another gun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

i'm shooting 87gr bthp, it's my deer/predator bulley. very good little bullet... but if you not worried about keeping fur, why not load some of the small bullets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif if you hit them, they shouldn't go anywhere....

I shoot a 243, when I am not concerned about fur I use 75 grain sierra hollow points with 39.4 grains of IMR 4064 powder this gives me 3400 feet per second, and is very accurate. When I am saving fur I shoot a 70 grain barns solid bullet with 40 grains of varget powder this gives me a little better than 3400 feet per second and is also very accurate.

Back