What Would you do Coyote Calling ?

Kracker

So here is the set up we are set up calling over a sandy dry lake bed full of scat and rabbit tracks Saturday wind was dead calm sun was going down. We do about five minutes of jackrabbit in distress off the e caller and when I shut the sound off we get a bark about 1000 yards off. I turn on the greeting howl and he responds with a challenge bark back. At this point I don't have my mouth callers and on my player I do not have a challenge bark. What would you all have done in this situation?

Here is what I did I turned the caller back on this time with a bit more aggressive sounding jack to make it sound like he it trying to get the killing down and get out of town) then I followed up with a KiYi my feeling is maybe the yote will think there is a fight over the food and make him wanna come in and check it out. Right after the KiYi sound about 7 Yotes sound off in a circle around us with greeting calls and the one that challenged us is still barking mad nor about 20 deg further to the left. At this point I greeted them all back and then left it silent hoping one would work its way in. Thanks for any tips you got for me I can always use them I will post the story of the weekend another place rp

That is the beauty of calling dogs, the thing that will have worked once may not work again. What gets them going one day may not tomorrow or the next day.

I think the calls you used would have been really close to wgat I would have done. Except for the aggresive jack rabbit. If he was barking at you he knew something wasn't right and most likely wasn't going to come any closer. He could have busted you comng in or saw or smelled something he didn't like.

But I would have called very similar. I probably would have done a female invite and pup distress first to see what happened then maybe the rabbit buffet.

Ive been in the same situation, making it sound like two coyotes got something and one getting hurt usually makes them come closer and take a look. Without a decoy Ive found it hard to pull a challenging coyote to a challenge within a close distance. I feel that they want to see what they are getting themselves into. Im also calling wide opens.
Also, I have had coyotes bark after distress calling, that wont come closer. I feel that they busted me going in.

I agree with what everyone else said. More than likely, if the dog is setting back and barking, he either busted you or he has played that game a time or two.. When that has happened to me in the past, I throw out a few challenge howls and do a serious of kiyis.. I then will totally watch the down wind side. Almost 50% of the time, at least for me, they will come in to investigate and if you set up right with plenty of eyesight downwind, you can get a visible to pop a shot off before they detect you.

Back