Dtech 6BR Range Report

joghotrod1

For those of you that wanted a report on how the Dtech 6BR shoots here is a target. The top left group was the 1st group the day and the 1st shot was high because of cold clean barrel. I shot 9 more shots after that one and you can see 8 in one big hole. Somehow I got a flyer during the 9, high again. These were 95 gr. Berger VLD's with 30.0 and 30.5 grs. of Varget. The top right is with 30.9 grs. of Varget. Still got a flyer, but looks like it may be a load to try again. The lower groups are with 30.7 and 31 grs. and they don't look like they will work. These were shot with a little wind not to bad. All at 100 yds. This barrel has about 66 shots through it so far.

Jimmy

Quote:
Lookin' good with the VARGET!
I'm assuming you came up a couple clicks on the glass after that first target?

You are right, exactly 2 clicks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have read somewhere RL-15 is a little better than Varget with about 50 fps higher velocity, so I will try some of that next.
With Varget, I am getting about 2750 with 30 grs. behind 105VLD's and 2900 with 30.9 grs. behind the 95's.

Jimmy

Don't trust the velocity ratings of the handloading manuals if you really wanna know trust nothing but a crono
Very nice groups /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
Don't trust the velocity ratings of the handloading manuals if you really wanna know trust nothing but a crono
Very nice groups /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I don't use reloading manuals. I chronoed those myself today. But thanks for the warning and the complement. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am going back to the range tomorrow to see how it shoots at 600 yds. I will try the 105's and the 95's for score.

Jimmy

Quote:
What were you getting for SD on the different loads?

Hi Mike,

I didn't calculate that. But the 30.9 load of Varget with the 95's was 2909
Not all of the loads were that close. Is that what you were talking about? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jimmy

Thanks Mike.

I guess the Chrono is supposed to cal that for you, but I don't have the remote button for it yet. Plus half the time I forget to write the numbers down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Jimmy

Just got back from the range and the Dtech 6BR shot a 580 out of a possible 600, with 23 in the 3 in. X ring. I was shooting the F class target. That was fun. The wind was blowing pretty good but it was steady most of the time. If I knew how to read the wind, the score would have been better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was using 95 and 105 Bergers. 1st 20 were 95's and the next 40 were 105's. Three clicks got it back on zero after the switch.

Jimmy

When you get a chance, put that rifle on a scale and let me know how much it weights. The UPS man is mad at me, he said he injured his back carrying it to the truck!

What are you using for dies? Did you get those custom ones you were talking about?

Quote:
When you get a chance, put that rifle on a scale and let me know how much it weights. The UPS man is mad at me, he said he injured his back carrying it to the truck!

What are you using for dies? Did you get those custom ones you were talking about?

That thing is heavy for sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am using Forster dies and I did get them to custom hone the resizing die to a neck of .265. When I press a bullet into the case it measures .268 + a little. I may send it back to have them hone to .266 or .267 so I don't overwork the brass.

Jimmy

Steve, he had me throat the chamber for shooting the long VLD bullets seated well beyond magazine length. He is shooting it single-shot from a bob-sled.

Quote:
I would say that 8-shot load would be one I would work on first. How many rounds in a mag for the 6BR?

I used the 30.5 grains of Varget behind the 95's when I went to the range yesterday to shoot 600 yds. It worked pretty good. With the 95's I shot 192 out of 200 with 6 X's. I used 30 grs. for the 105's and on the round when the wind was real steady it shot 198 with 12X's. The X ring on this target is 3 inches. I can't wait to try some of these on Prairie Dogs.

Like Mike said I shoot this thing single shot. I use a modified mag so it will clear the bolt which is a lot larger than a standard .223 bolt.

Jimmy

Back