can trigger pull be adjusted on a Ruger M77?

WyoYote

My Ruger M77 .223 is a pretty good rifle. My only complaint is that the trigger is not very light. I searched the web a bit to see if their were any instructions on how to adjust the pull, but really didn't come up with anything. So, once again, I turn to you guys. How can I adjust this trigger to be lighter and more crisp?

if its an older tang safety 77 then yes the trigger is adjustable by you. if its a new mkII then no its not adjutable by you. if it is a new one put a timney in it!

Quote:
if its an older tang safety 77 then yes the trigger is adjustable by you. if its a new mkII then no its not adjutable by you. if it is a new one put a timney in it!

I agree. While I have heard of some folks working the MkII triggers, I would bite the bullet and replace it.

I don't think the newer ones can, the older ones had very little adjustment and it was a PITA I have not owned a Ruger M77 in several years though and i thinkl they have gone to a couple differant designs in that time.

coyotesmoke is correct a competent smith can do it, but you, unless you know how shouldn't on the mkII. But the only way to learn is try and if you screw it up buy an aftermarket trigger and replace it.

Yes it can but be warned.. It is case hardened and if you take off to much outside metal trying to lighten it you may run the risk of running into a future problem that the metal is soft and the rifle will develope slam fire later at an unknown date. Every time you pull that nice light trigger a small amount of new metal is removed each time...
James L.

I've installed both a Timney and a Rifle Basix in MkII's that I have, and the Rifle Basix is mush easier to install.
Other than polishing parts and installing a lighter spring, which I have done to one MkII, there isn't much else you can do to improve the factory trigger.

Martyn

James I believe that the Ruger triggers on both the 77's and their revolvers are hardened all the way thru unlike the case hardening on the Smith and Wesson revolvers. I've done a bunch of these triggers when I ran my shop and never had a problem with them. You do have to change the sear angles to get a good release weight on them.

With that said I always encouraged folks to go to an aftermarket adjustable trigger simply because even after fixing the 77 MKII triggers you still may end up with some creep and there is no way to assure any set trigger pull. Some end up with a three pound pull while some end up with a 2.5 pound pull. With an adjustable trigger you have both overtravel and pull weight adjustments.

Back