Turkey Distress? What's it sound like?

DaveR

I'm working on my diaphram calls. I've pretty much got the rabbit, pup, barks, and howls down. What does a turkey in distress sound like? Anyone have a sound sample I could listen to or web address. I can't seem to find an actual sample. Just places to buy.

Thanks

Hi DaveR - Don't worry too much about a mess of different sounds when you first start calling. What you have already is fine, and is especially fine, has there are about 10 serious predator hunters in both Ma., and CT. combined. As time passes and you miss a few, and get winded a couple times you will need both new set-ups and maybe a few new sounds.

I'm a believer its how you blow the given call that gets them coming, not the actual sound. This is a rule of thumb, if you are callin' a new spot, using a badass rabbit in distress series, you should have a coyote response in no more than 5 minutes in New England. After 5 minutes or so I'd say your chance of a call-in drops 85%.

Also do not make any barks at all (I think barking is bad), and if you feel you'd like to try howling, just make some none threatening lone howls at the beginning of your first series of calls.

Really the hardest part of calling in New England is there just aren't that many coyotes, so you will make alot of set-ups to call a dog once you are good. When you are new, and are gaining knowledge, calling a couple a year is good !!

Where in Ct. do you live, as I can probably save you a few years of trial and error?

I'm in New London. Any help you could give would be great!! You're in Mass right? If I remember correctly you hunt in CT too.

What does a turkey in distress sound like?
gobble gobble, hey what the f**k was that? Hey ouch stop that, cut it out, that hurts, gobble gobble, HELP!!!! HELP!!!! ouch, ouch...uncle uncle ok ok I give leave me alone. Hey them teeth are gobble gobble sharp, please stop, please HELP HELP HELP....son of a bi**h thats going to leave a mark!

What does a turkey distress sound like?
Most turkey distree sounds I have heard sound like this....

"Darn, I called him and called him and he hung up at 60 yards and would not come in."

The only time I heard a turkey getting the snot kicked out if it was one morning in bow season and there were just excited clucks one after the other. Lots of leaves moving about and you could hear the wings flapping and beating the ground. I don't know who won that fight, but when I went to investigate there were a bunch of feathers on the ground but no blood.

I think in the fall, if you just do gathering yelps you might attract a coyote or two. Or maybe lost hen yelps with a little beating of the leaves thrown in for good measure. A flock is sometimes pretty quiet and there are lots of eyes. A lost hen or poult can really put up a fuss though. That is what I would try.

Last winter DOD and I called in a fox with a rabbit distress and we used one of my turkey decoys as well. That fox went right for the decoy.

A turkey destress is a peeping sound, kind of like a chick. Its a high piched peep. I always add some kee kee runs at the start then use the Ap-6 to do the turkey destress. I will add some screaching kind of drown out peeps to.

Js put out a turkey destress tape to.

Brent

Check out Fox Pros main site. They have a large number of turkey sounds including distress. I just ordered mine and included many turkey sounds as I have had the best luck on coyotes with them in my area. A turkey hunting friend in NH has shot 5 coyotes in the last 3 years calling the birds. Scares the daylights out of them when they just appear 7 yards away in the dark.

Back