How far can they hear my call?

scsims

I hunt a 200 acre farm that is faily flat with little woods. The surounding farms have good cover. On a good calm day is one set on this farm good enough for any coyote in the area to hear, or should I make additional sets?

I'd try to stretch out and maybe hit the corners of your property if possible. If you can't hit all four corners you could at least hit two of them opposite of each other and have some success! Remember, you don't need to walk on your neighbors land.. if they hear you calling they'll come to you!

Also play around with the volumes of calls you use.. a mid range call may only reach coyotes at 200-300 yards in certain cover, a long range may reach 400-500 in the same cover where a low-range or coaxer call may only pick up 100-200 yards... just play with that theory and see if you can get some extra sets to work. Some ground I hunted last night was only good for one setup... 200 acres with one big flat field and a couple sink holes and fencerows in it. There was no real way to call two different sets there but if the ground is well covered, hilly or chopped up somehow you should be able to break a few sets out of 200 acres! Good luck.

scsims,
Under perfect conditions, a coyote can hear a long range call for a mile or so. Sound does not carry over hill tops worth a hoot, and heavy timber cuts down the hearing distance also. Strong winds play havok with sound too.

On a cold, crisp day last December in Montana I had farm dogs and coyotes answering my call. The coyotes were probably a mile off, but the farm dogs were 2 miles. We know the distance because the next farm was 2 miles down the road.

more than once when early season calling I have made a stand, killed a dog, walked 200-300 yards set up and called in another. Now some would say that the 2nd dog would have come into the first stand if I had stayed, but that 2nd dog responded within a minute. dead run to about 15 yards.

When calling midday I will call anything that looks like good cover. Works well for us.

Back