h - r 22- 250 handi rifle,bull barrel.

tndogkiller

had a buddy buy one of these last week ,brought it too me to get set,and zeroed..worst shooting gun ive ever tried to mess with ,,will not shoot tighter than 16 inches at 100 yds..has anyone had this with this same gun..

I have a couple of buddies who have had them. They tend not be be exactly "tack" drivers, but normally capable of shooting 3 shot groups at 100 yards around 1" in varmint calibers, sometimes a little better, sometimes a little worse. If that same ammo shoots well in other guns, your buddy may have a bad one. That does happen, from time to time.

Was the gun purchased in a new or used condition? From a private seller or from a dealer? Perhaps the bore has rusted ...... particularly if it was a used gun. A lot of these are carried as "truck guns". Which means they don't often get cleaned or lubed and can be subject to the rusting which takes place, sometimes quickly, from alternating heating and cooling cycles in the truck cab. That happens quite often in high humidity areas such as Ohio. In CO, the humidity is relatively low, so I don't know if it is as much of a problem out there.

I see you sent it back after I posted.....

Man I must type slow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Last edited:
16" sounds like something bad wrong. i have one in 223 and when i first got it it was about a 1.5-1.75" gun at 100yards. it took some "breaking in" i guess. with winchester 55gr. psp it shoots 1" or less. with hornady 50gr v-max handloads and W748 it shoots 1/2" lots of times. i've shot some of that wild, off the wall ammo you can get at academy thru it. it would group 6-7" with it. handis are notorious for having to have a couple hundread rounds ran thru them for them to really start to shoot.

I have one in a 223 bull barrel and it consistantly shoots under 1 1/2 inches. Sounds like that one has some major issues. I had to do a little tinkering with mine to get it that good. Go here geybeards there is a tone of info on them.

I was gonna say something is bad wrong. I have had 3 Handis over the past couple of years and all three shot 1" groups at 100 yards. Good thing he sent it back. They are pretty good at fixing problems.

I had one in 243 caliber that was the same way. I could not hit the broad side of a barn with it. I sold it to a local to use as a truck gun while running cattle. He swore that he could make it shoot.
I told myself that I would never get another one but I really like the feel of them so I bought another one in 223 and I love it. It is not a 1/2 incher but it is very close.

I have had 3 handi rifles, the 243 and 223 shot right around one inch at a hundred yards but I had a 26-06 that would only do 3 inches at a hundred. I still have the .243 and it is my truck gun.

I just traded one in for a tikka 22/250 and it was a pretty good gun for the money, I would say it would shoot close to 1" at 100 the only problem I had was that sometime when I shot it, it would breakdown without hitting the button.

a friend of mine had one last summer in 243 win., we must have tried 40 different powder/bullet combos in that thing 3 different scopes and I can honestly say that after hundreds of rounds it never hit in the same hole twice .. worst [beeep] gun I ever saw ... saw another guy at the range cussing one back in the fall, don't know the caliber, I was trying too hard not to laugh

Back