Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives

Dave,
I would like to buy a knife for my 12 yr old for his birthday in June and was wondering what you could build with a regular handle that would work as he grows. I was thinking of a single curved trapper but let me know what you could do. I will also be ordering my Elk knife at the same time.

Troy. The trapper set or just one of them would be the way to go. After he is full grown, then we could build one to fit the hand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Has your dad had the opportunity to use his? Even after making over 4000 knives you always wonder if you got everything just right. Trying to rebuild the inventory now. Fired some today and will fire again tomorrow. Hope to have a batch ready to cryo when we leave to go elk hunting in 3 weeks.
Dave

Last edited:
My Dad used his on 3 deer and could use a touch up but it is still sharp. I used it to skin my brothers deer and could not believe how much easier it is to skin with a sharp knife. I think I will order a single curved trapper knife for my boy. Will this work fine to skin deer? I will let you know the colors and my hand size. I will email you the details probably later tonight or tomorrow.
Thanks,
Troy

Don't need hand size for the trappers. They work on about anything and the curved is the best for skinning. With your discount they are $75 with a sheath that has a flap. I would recommend it. Right or left side for the sheath. Only have 3 knives left and none of the straight trappers. We fired 15 straight yesterday and 15 curved today. Trying to get the other 30 shaped and fired before we go elk hunting so they can cryo them. Worked on the new proskinners for the past 4 days and will have 16 of them ready to fire sometime Monday. Worst part about selling knives is building the inventory back up.
On your dads knife, you might try dragging it backwards on a piece of wood. Straighten the edge. Good luck.
Dave

Gentlemen,

If you're reading this far down in this post, you have no doubt read all the good things said about Dave McCroskey and his knives. In this day and age you never know who to trust and who not to, but in this case I can assure you that Dave is one of the finest people that you will ever meet and his knives are second to none. I have had one for several years and it still gives me the "willies" to even take it out of the sheath. His knives are so sharp that if you swing it thru the air you can hear the molecules screaming as it cuts through them. Ok, maybe it's not that sharp, but darn near. As others have said, you just won't believe it.

I had the pleasure to meet Dave at a Predator Calling show in Kansas City last year, and let me assure you, he's the real deal. One of my goals is to go to Oklahoma and visit with Dave and see his operation in the very near future, and I would imagine I will come home with some new knives.

So, if you have even the slighest inclination to buy a knife from Dave, you can do so with the utmost confidence.

ThJudg (Roger)

Thanks for the invite, I may just do that. Needless to say it's going to have to warm up a bit from the -5 we had the other day, but it's supposed to improve before too long.

If you want to PM me your contact info I'll keep you posted.

ThJudg (Roger)

Got the two knives yesterday. Major wow factor! Love the colors and sharp!!! Will have to wait until June to give the knife to my boy for his birthday. I thought he needed a good knife for our WY antelope this fall. Thanks for a great pair of knives. I like the curved skinner so well I may have to order one for myself.
Thanks,
Troy
DSC00609.jpg

DSC00607.jpg

Glad you got them Troy. How did the elk fit? Can't believe that I had over 90 of those trappers last Sept. but am out now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
Corky said that we delivered 142 knives in December alone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Its Jan 16, and we have fired 112 this year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
We leave to hunt elk next thursday and I will finally get some R&R. Can't wait to try a couple of new ones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Dave

Thanks for the kind words Roger. Come on down and we will have some fun with Jeff. Eating is good and there is always some hot steel.
Dave

Dave,
The Elk knife fit great. I have been showing all my friends my knife, probably will lead to some more work for ya! Thanks for a great pair of knives.
Troy

Just a heads up. Just got 155 back from being cryoed and we branded them. They are in the drawers. We were out of some sizes with the Nov-Dec run of 200+ knives going out. We have most sizes and plenty of trappers(60). Well actually down to 49 now. Corky has over 100 for me to rough shape and a few elk knives to clean up that he fired Monday. He has paring knives also in the walnut or oak stands.
Worst part about our knives is that they are "addictive." Will be finishing 5 today and that makes 13 this week.
Thanks............Dave

I just got finished with a 5 week road trip that included a stop in Stillwater, OK to visit Dave at his home. I wanted to have him touch up my knives since I'd used them pretty hard during trapping season. In short order he had them "dangerously" sharp again. I wanted to see him put the bevel on one of the blanks he had in the shop, but didn't think I'd have enough time. I was wrong. Dave had that thing shaped and ready to go into the oven in 8 minutes! No kidding......I timed him. The bevel was perfect and the cutting edge was perfectly true. This was all done by sight without the aid of any guides. This man definitely knows how to build a knife and is a great guy to boot. I'm glad I was able to stop by his house, but he had a new design in the works and I'm sure I'll have to have one!

Mike. It was good to meet you and visit although brief. Been real busy as Corky fired 21 yesterday and 23 today. All the blanks that were laying there have been shaped and fired. Clean-up starts for those. Remember the drawer that had all the trapper blanks? They are all gone but 3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif Trying to get some more trappers shaped. There are 60 going over for cryo next week and another 60 trappers have been cleaned, milled and drilled. Next time I get up there, I will rough shape and he will file the notch. Then they will get shaped and fired sometime. There is over 130 knives to cryo next week with only 60 of them trappers.
Hardness is still up there. Picked up a proskinner Monday to put a name on it and it was 66.1Rc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
As you found out "hardness does make a difference." How can you explain "SHARP" when you using super hard materials.
Got to get back out there and finish carving finger grooves and hand sanding on the 9 I started this morning Will ship them this afternoon. Only have 27 laying here with names on them ready for handles and no end in sight. Next time you come, plan on staying and seeing the whole operation. Right now I agree with Corky and am about ready to just quit making these knives. Just too much work.
Glad you had a safe trip back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
dave

Dave is a great guy. i was lucky enough to have been able to meet him. not sure if i have the pro skinner. will geet another knife soon. going to hun idaho soon for spring bear and i hope wolf in september. have three great knive's now. was sick alot last year. i'll get more bear calling in this year. take care. Rick

Have you got blood on any of your knives yet Rick? It's OK as long as it's not yours. Would love to see the smile on your face the first time you use one of our knives. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Had a gentleman buy the trapper set 3 weeks ago and said they were going to a high fence area that weekend. Saw him out turkey hunting last Saturday and he said the curved trapper had field dressed and skinned one bison, two elk, and one turkey. Still shave!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Our knives are addictive..........
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
dave

Iwon a knife set from Dave at the annual Okla hunt. I have never bought a sharper knife. I have not had a chance to test it yet due to getting it after hunting season. I surely think it will be up to the task.

Had a guy drop and catch one a few years back. He looked and felt very lucky to not get bitten. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif He laid the knife down and then saw a drop of blood. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif On futher inspection, he realize that he had a trip to the ER in the very near future. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif He called me as soon as he arrived at home to tell me about the 17 stitches that he received for the effort. He made a decision to let future "uh-ohs" hit the floor. We can fix 'em. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
dave

Back