Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives

Well, I'm up to four of Dave's knives now. I got two on my first order and ordered two more a couple of weeks ago. I used one to chop up a couple of semi-frozen beavers yesterday to make some bobcat bait and it was like cutting butter. The knife is still shaving sharp. If you're someone who likes quality knives you can't go wrong with McCroskey!

Mike

Thanks Mike and Jeff. Here is the deal. Many of you want our knives. We are different in that we make them(or try to) fit your hand. Take one knife style---the Elk. We make 14 different sizes for that one style for fit and balance. We make at least 9 different styles of knives, and if you do the math, you will find that it takes a lot of steel to have the dirty work done when you call to order a knife. After an order is placed, I have the name engraved on the "real" knives, cut and glue up the handles, then carve them to fit your hand measurements. Takes about 3 hours over two days.(drying time) Six years ago, I could get buy with 2-4 knives of each style and size. There are average sizes that you need more of today. Example: last year Oct - Dec, we sold and made 27 knives of one style AND size. We had them because we had made a mistake and lost count during shaping and firing. (The Lord works in strange ways) If we start a knife into the line, it will be 2-4 months before it is finished. Sept - Dec we are busy putting handles on and finishing and do not have time to mill, sand, fire, temper, clean up etc. If you want one in Oct but I am out of your size, we are talking March at the earliest. I don't like that. Yes some of the locals have ordered a knife in the afternoon and picked it up the next day before noon. We would like to get them to you ASAP. And sometimes, we are delayed with the sheaths.
I realize that many of you do not know about our knives and this will sail over your head. We try to make a quality product (Rolls Royce) at an affordable (Chevy) price.
There is an old saying "he is rich who has two friends". Well I am wealthy beyond words. I make knives to live. In 1991 I was given 18 months to live. In 1998 I was dead seven times. I am a very ssllooooww learner.
My request of you is to order early this year. The knives given at Christmas must be cut and milled by July 15 to have a chance at being finished in time. And yes there is a 4 year supply of the tiny and huge sizes but the average sizes are the ones we need to get started on. Of the 27 sold (1 size--1 shape) last fall we normally sell about 20 of that size/shape per year. It helps to not PM me but go to our website and email from that or call the toll free number 877 256-4837 which is 877 2knives. Easy to remember.
I am not trying to sell a bunch of knives, I just don't want to see a bunch of disappointed hunters.
Sorry for the long read, but maybe you will understand why you can or can't get this level of quality in 10 minutes or from China. Thanks
Dave

I have three of Dave's knives and many others from other folks as well as commercially made knives.....NONE compare to my McCroskey knives, they simply are not for sale....

My Elk knife was fitted to my hand, like a glove....my skinners were not and have a most comfortable "generic" handle..

Joe

When I first posted this, I mentioned loaning out a knife for field testing. I do not have that info right now and hunting season is approaching. One person did contact me but I can not locate it. Would you please call or pm me again and I will get one out to you. Thanks.
Dave

I am going to order a Elk knife for my Dads birthday and would like to see pics of other Elk knives before I pick colors. Thanks for the help.

If you will email me at dkmccroskey@brightok.net I will forward a picture that I took 2 years ago of one order the day I shipped it. 13 different colors in it but I don't know how to post it here. Dave /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Some McCroskey knife pics...

McCroskey1web.jpg

McCroskeyKnife1web.jpg

McCroskeyKnife2web.jpg

McCroskeyKnife3web.jpg

McCroskeyKnife4web.jpg

McCroskeyKnife5web.jpg

Thanks for the pictures, that gives me a few ideas. I have the hand measurements now. I will get the order sent this evening.
Thanks,
Troy

I don't usually take pics but the first is a bunch that was ordered 11-1-06 and shipped 11-16-06. 12 different color combinations.
second and third pics are knives finished this weekend and awaiting sheaths. Debbie just dropped off 11. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Fourth is elk and trapper set for Totch94(think both sheaths are here for you). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
5th are the ones finished last week and the boner sheaths are here.
6th are sheaths with the arrowhead pattern. Glenn Guess has the one one the right in autumn brown. The left has light antique.
Time to start boxing and make a mail run. Then cut 2 handles for elk knives and glue them up. Have a good day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Dave

sorry Dave no bear yet was over 80 everyday on the eastside. i wore my elk Hunter every day. love it. those arnt smaller elk Huter's on the Right are they. love the color's. thank's and see you in Oklahoma. my diabete's has been 120 and under last couple week's doing better. see doctor thurs then i'll hit the coast for bear. Rick

P1000026-1.jpg

P1000013.jpg

Glad the blood sugar is doing better. Hope you get a big bear. To much fretting over them for me. But you are getting good exercise and fresh air and that's key. The pics are 2 boners, 7 elk, and a trapper set. The 12 in the top pic were all proskinners. All the elk blades run 2 3/4 inches to 3 inches. They just don't need to be very long.
Take care. Dave

Well I got the knife yesterday and all I can say is WOW! The thing is unreal sharp. Knife is so sharp that I am almost scard to use it as I might cut something important off! The knife is a real beauty to look at and fits in your hand like a glove even though its not made for me. This knife is for my Dad for his birthday. I am more excited to give this to my Dad than anything I have ever gotten him. Dave is a true class act and I will be ordering more in the future. Here are a few pics.
DSC00548.jpg

DSC00547.jpg

DSC00546.jpg

Last edited:
Well, we gave the knife to my Dad today a week early so He could use it for the early muzzleloader season if he gets a deer. He was very impressed with the knife! Hopefully we will have a field report later today. The knife fits great. I will be ordering mine very soon! Thanks for a great knife.

Glad he liked it and that it fit. Always a little worried when I don't have exact measurements..
Thanks again Troy and good hunting.
Dave

I've gotten to use Dave's trapper set on my trapline this year. So now I'm up to six of his knives. I just ordered another trapper set as a gift for a young man from Montana that's helping me with my beaver skinning. I'm sure he'll put them to good use! I'm not here to advertise for Dave, but I doubt I'll ever use another brand of knife in my lifetime. I've got some other great knives, but these here are unreal!

Mike. Forgot to warn you. They are very ADDICTIVE. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Trying to figure out what to do. Wood is up 48%. Steel up 14%. Belts up 11%. Shipping up 8%. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
Trying to produce the absolute best for the dollar takes you down a strange road. I take a lot of pride in putting the best(yea I'm biased) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif in the hands of the average worker/hunter. We have been talking about it but no decision yet. Trying to make some improvements in the proskinners. Personally I would discontinue them but they are great for processing and thats all I use them for. Trappers will stay the same.
Maybe a fillet knife. He cut 15 yesterday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
This was the first year that I had raw steel in my hands before Jan 1. Have a bunch ready to fire and some are sold.
Thanks for the 2008 orders. Hope you were pleased with the knives you received. 2009 is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you....................dave /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Back