Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#921537 - 03/03/08 08:13 PM Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Oklahoma
It is now official. As an advertiser I will try to answer questions, pass on good information, and do anything I can to help you guys and gals in the field or in the fur shed. We try to make the finest and sharpest knives on the planet. I have seen many names on here that I know so I know that there is a very quality group of hunters. That is the group that we try to build for.
I see no point in making knives for collectors. Substantial discount to members.
TIA Dave McCroskey
www.mccroskeyknives.com

#921538 - 03/03/08 09:31 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Tha_edge]
Weasel-UT Offline
Retired PM Staff

Loc: S.W. Utah
Thank you for being here.

#921539 - 03/03/08 09:43 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Weasel-UT]
Joe Bradshaw Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: Ozark, Arkansas
Gentlemen...I can tell you Dave's knives are second to none....they are made to work...they are ( and stay) unbelievably sharp...they fit like a glove and look fantastic...I have several and will have more. I give them my highest recommendation...on top of that, Dave is a good man by the old time standards of a good man. He will do what he says he will ALWAYS and is honest to a fault...

Here is one of his "Elk" knives...

A set of skinners...

Joe

If I build them...they will come.

FOXPRO Field Staff - Mossy Oak Field Staff

#921540 - 03/03/08 09:46 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Joe Bradshaw]
tgrif Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Box Springs, GA
That is one fine looking knife.

Psalm 109:8 says, "May his days be few; may another take his place of leadership."

#921541 - 03/03/08 10:08 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: tgrif]
bearmanric Offline
PM Sponsor/Custom Call Maker

Loc: Tenino,WA
welcome Dave. i'll get a picture of my knife tomorrow. cant wait to skin a bear with it. again welcome. Rick

#921542 - 03/03/08 10:25 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: bearmanric]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

Thanks Joe and Rick. Just got off the phone with Don and Danny in Texas. Guess Danny used his elk to do some hogs and is happy. Needs to straighten the tip but will still shave over most of the blade. Hope you got your truck fixed Rick. Been sick for a week so I am getting farther behind.

#921543 - 03/04/08 12:16 AM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Tha_edge]
Nikonut Offline

Loc: Mt.Zion, Illinois USA
Take care of yourself Dave!

Good to see you here!

Guys, these knives are super, super sharp! Just the weight of the blade will easily shave slivers from a piece of paper. Like Joe said... Dave truely has old time standards for trust and reliability.

"He will do what he says he will ALWAYS and is honest to a fault..."

Couldn't have said it better!

Nikonut
"I've been a PM member for a very long time and I believe in the dream of a unified predator hunting community... I feel that was Will Craig's goal! I was beginning to see a glimmer of hope of that being possible, time will tell."

Support the NRA and help preserve our hunting heritage and our 2nd Amendment rights!
NRA Life/Endowment Member

#921544 - 03/04/08 01:13 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Nikonut]
bearmanric Offline

Dave truck is fixed had to get new tire's and two ujoint's and drive line balanced. i'm flyng to oklahoma next year cheaper to. Rick

#921545 - 03/07/08 03:59 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: bearmanric]
J. Holly Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Stillwater, OK.
I have to say that Dave's knives are the absolute sharpest things I have ever seen. I haven't fully "tested" the knives I have had him make, however, I have gotten to use them a little, and I love them!

#921546 - 03/07/08 04:18 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: J. Holly]
TonyTebbe Offline
Retired PM Staff.

Loc: Lovington, NM
Not only are Dave's knives awesome...he's just one heck of a guy to get to know. I seriously enjoyed meeting and talking with him in Oklahoma, last month.

Welcome aboard Dave!

Tony

Tony Tebbe

#921547 - 03/07/08 08:51 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: TonyTebbe]
Mason_Jarr Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Southern Idaho
Uh oh! More money I'll spend now. I can't pass on a good knife. How does one go about getting on the list? Or will you build them and post them for sale on here? I'm looking for a small skinner for my trapping project this coming fall.

Mike

#921548 - 03/07/08 09:41 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Mason_Jarr]
Joe Bradshaw Offline

Mike....you will love it!!

Joe

#921549 - 03/08/08 09:38 AM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Joe Bradshaw]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

Just give me a call. Go to the web site www.mccroskeyknives.com and look at how to measure your hand and the different styles first. MJ, you may need a curved trapper or a straight trapper. Or the set. I don't trap so I can't tell you. There are others on here that can.
When you dress 4 hogs then hit the leather strap and it still shaves........well......... (elk knife)
Contact info:
HM (405) 624-9900
toll free (877) 2knives
cell (405) 747-0087

#921550 - 03/08/08 06:50 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Tha_edge]
Mason_Jarr Offline
Die Hard Member II

Dave,
I visited your site and sent you an e-mail.

Mike

#921551 - 03/09/08 02:04 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Tha_edge]
NASA Offline
PM is my life

Loc: 40.02N/105.25W
Quote:

When you dress 4 hogs then hit the leather strap and it still shaves........well

Dave, do you recommend a stroping leather to maintain the edge? If yes, strap or paddle?

#921552 - 03/09/08 06:27 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: NASA]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

I have never used a strop. I use buffing wheels but the paper and rouge combo works great. Anything that will straighten the edge and not remove steel will work. How is Colorado in the spring???????

#921553 - 03/09/08 06:52 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Tha_edge]
NASA Offline
PM is my life

Loc: 40.02N/105.25W
Spring? Still waiting for it to arrive. Temps made it into the 40's today. Hardly any snow left in the driveways, lol. I'll know when it's spring because the Pdog pups start playing "Double-dog dare ya" on the hiways.

#921554 - 03/26/08 05:38 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: NASA]
Mason_Jarr Offline
Die Hard Member II

I just bought two of Dave's knives and let me say these things are "dangerous" sharp! After I e-mailed Dave, he called me on the phone and talked me through measuring my hand, picking colors for the handle, designing the sheath, etc. I felt like these knives were truly built for me. Now that I've gotten them I'm just amazed at how sharp they are. With the discount Dave gives I almost felt like I stole them. I don't know how he can make such a quality knife and sell it for such a low price. I'm going to order the two knife trapper set in a few months. Didn't I say above, this was going to cost me some money?!!

#921555 - 03/26/08 05:46 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Mason_Jarr]
Nikonut Offline

I tried to tell you guys these knives were SHARP!!!!! LOL

Actually they are very scarey sharp!
Quote:

Guys, these knives are super, super sharp! Just the weight of the blade will easily shave slivers from a piece of paper.

Don't feel bad about it Mike, it's probably going to cost me some dollars, too!
"I've been a PM member for a very long time and I believe in the dream of a unified predator hunting community... I feel that was Will Craig's goal! I was beginning to see a glimmer of hope of that being possible, time will tell."

Support the NRA and help preserve our hunting heritage and our 2nd Amendment rights!

#921556 - 04/19/08 11:46 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Nikonut]
J. Holly Offline
Die Hard Member III

Hey you guys....If anyone is thinking about a custom made knife, the time is near.

For those of you that wait till the last minute, a custom knifemaker doesn't work that way. I know that these knives have 30+ man hours into EACH one. If you think that you may want one for the upcoming seasons, you may want to go ahead and place the order now.

Each of these knives are custom fit to your hand. These aren't something that you can just goto Wal-Mart for.

#921557 - 04/20/08 12:16 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: J. Holly]
Mason_Jarr Offline
Die Hard Member II

Well, I'm up to four of Dave's knives now. I got two on my first order and ordered two more a couple of weeks ago. I used one to chop up a couple of semi-frozen beavers yesterday to make some bobcat bait and it was like cutting butter. The knife is still shaving sharp. If you're someone who likes quality knives you can't go wrong with McCroskey!

Mike

#921558 - 04/20/08 03:23 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Mason_Jarr]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

Thanks Mike and Jeff. Here is the deal. Many of you want our knives. We are different in that we make them(or try to) fit your hand. Take one knife style---the Elk. We make 14 different sizes for that one style for fit and balance. We make at least 9 different styles of knives, and if you do the math, you will find that it takes a lot of steel to have the dirty work done when you call to order a knife. After an order is placed, I have the name engraved on the "real" knives, cut and glue up the handles, then carve them to fit your hand measurements. Takes about 3 hours over two days.(drying time) Six years ago, I could get buy with 2-4 knives of each style and size. There are average sizes that you need more of today. Example: last year Oct - Dec, we sold and made 27 knives of one style AND size. We had them because we had made a mistake and lost count during shaping and firing. (The Lord works in strange ways) If we start a knife into the line, it will be 2-4 months before it is finished. Sept - Dec we are busy putting handles on and finishing and do not have time to mill, sand, fire, temper, clean up etc. If you want one in Oct but I am out of your size, we are talking March at the earliest. I don't like that. Yes some of the locals have ordered a knife in the afternoon and picked it up the next day before noon. We would like to get them to you ASAP. And sometimes, we are delayed with the sheaths.
I realize that many of you do not know about our knives and this will sail over your head. We try to make a quality product (Rolls Royce) at an affordable (Chevy) price.
There is an old saying "he is rich who has two friends". Well I am wealthy beyond words. I make knives to live. In 1991 I was given 18 months to live. In 1998 I was dead seven times. I am a very ssllooooww learner.
My request of you is to order early this year. The knives given at Christmas must be cut and milled by July 15 to have a chance at being finished in time. And yes there is a 4 year supply of the tiny and huge sizes but the average sizes are the ones we need to get started on. Of the 27 sold (1 size--1 shape) last fall we normally sell about 20 of that size/shape per year. It helps to not PM me but go to our website and email from that or call the toll free number 877 256-4837 which is 877 2knives. Easy to remember.
I am not trying to sell a bunch of knives, I just don't want to see a bunch of disappointed hunters.
Sorry for the long read, but maybe you will understand why you can or can't get this level of quality in 10 minutes or from China. Thanks
Dave

#921559 - 04/20/08 09:00 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Tha_edge]
Joe Bradshaw Offline

I have three of Dave's knives and many others from other folks as well as commercially made knives.....NONE compare to my McCroskey knives, they simply are not for sale....

My Elk knife was fitted to my hand, like a glove....my skinners were not and have a most comfortable "generic" handle..

Joe

#921560 - 08/18/08 09:35 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Joe Bradshaw]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

When I first posted this, I mentioned loaning out a knife for field testing. I do not have that info right now and hunting season is approaching. One person did contact me but I can not locate it. Would you please call or pm me again and I will get one out to you. Thanks.
Dave

#921561 - 08/21/08 10:07 AM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Tha_edge]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

Eric. They are in the mail today. Good luck.
Dave

#921562 - 08/21/08 01:32 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Tha_edge]
Ras53 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Top of UT
Thanks Dave, I'll try to give them a good workout

#921563 - 09/21/08 11:53 AM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Ras53]
TroyBoy Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Charles City, Iowa
I am going to order a Elk knife for my Dads birthday and would like to see pics of other Elk knives before I pick colors. Thanks for the help.

#921564 - 09/21/08 04:35 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: TroyBoy]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

If you will email me at dkmccroskey@brightok.net I will forward a picture that I took 2 years ago of one order the day I shipped it. 13 different colors in it but I don't know how to post it here. Dave

#921565 - 09/21/08 08:37 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Tha_edge]
TroyBoy Offline
Seasoned Member

Email Sent.

#921566 - 09/22/08 01:57 AM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: TroyBoy]
Nikonut Offline

Some McCroskey knife pics...

#921567 - 09/22/08 06:51 AM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Mason_Jarr]
TroyBoy Offline
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the pictures, that gives me a few ideas. I have the hand measurements now. I will get the order sent this evening.
Thanks,
Troy

#921568 - 09/22/08 08:54 AM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: TroyBoy]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

I don't usually take pics but the first is a bunch that was ordered 11-1-06 and shipped 11-16-06. 12 different color combinations.
second and third pics are knives finished this weekend and awaiting sheaths. Debbie just dropped off 11.
Fourth is elk and trapper set for Totch94(think both sheaths are here for you).
5th are the ones finished last week and the boner sheaths are here.
6th are sheaths with the arrowhead pattern. Glenn Guess has the one one the right in autumn brown. The left has light antique.
Time to start boxing and make a mail run. Then cut 2 handles for elk knives and glue them up. Have a good day.
Dave

#921569 - 09/22/08 12:45 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Tha_edge]
bearmanric Offline

sorry Dave no bear yet was over 80 everyday on the eastside. i wore my elk Hunter every day. love it. those arnt smaller elk Huter's on the Right are they. love the color's. thank's and see you in Oklahoma. my diabete's has been 120 and under last couple week's doing better. see doctor thurs then i'll hit the coast for bear. Rick

#921570 - 09/22/08 02:22 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: bearmanric]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

Glad the blood sugar is doing better. Hope you get a big bear. To much fretting over them for me. But you are getting good exercise and fresh air and that's key. The pics are 2 boners, 7 elk, and a trapper set. The 12 in the top pic were all proskinners. All the elk blades run 2 3/4 inches to 3 inches. They just don't need to be very long.
Take care. Dave

#921571 - 10/02/08 05:12 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Tha_edge]
TroyBoy Offline
Seasoned Member

Well I got the knife yesterday and all I can say is WOW! The thing is unreal sharp. Knife is so sharp that I am almost scard to use it as I might cut something important off! The knife is a real beauty to look at and fits in your hand like a glove even though its not made for me. This knife is for my Dad for his birthday. I am more excited to give this to my Dad than anything I have ever gotten him. Dave is a true class act and I will be ordering more in the future. Here are a few pics.

Edited by TroyBoy (10/02/08 10:59 PM)

#921572 - 10/06/08 08:54 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: TroyBoy]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

Got your check today. Thanks for the tip. Let me know how it fits your Dad. You have a credit on your next purchase.
Dave

#921573 - 10/11/08 04:07 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Tha_edge]
TroyBoy Offline
Seasoned Member

Well, we gave the knife to my Dad today a week early so He could use it for the early muzzleloader season if he gets a deer. He was very impressed with the knife! Hopefully we will have a field report later today. The knife fits great. I will be ordering mine very soon! Thanks for a great knife.

#921574 - 10/11/08 08:02 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: TroyBoy]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

Glad he liked it and that it fit. Always a little worried when I don't have exact measurements..
Thanks again Troy and good hunting.
Dave

#921575 - 12/30/08 11:28 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Tha_edge]
Mason_Jarr Offline
Die Hard Member II

I've gotten to use Dave's trapper set on my trapline this year. So now I'm up to six of his knives. I just ordered another trapper set as a gift for a young man from Montana that's helping me with my beaver skinning. I'm sure he'll put them to good use! I'm not here to advertise for Dave, but I doubt I'll ever use another brand of knife in my lifetime. I've got some other great knives, but these here are unreal!

#921576 - 01/01/09 12:23 PM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Mason_Jarr]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

Mike. Forgot to warn you. They are very ADDICTIVE.
Trying to figure out what to do. Wood is up 48%. Steel up 14%. Belts up 11%. Shipping up 8%.
Trying to produce the absolute best for the dollar takes you down a strange road. I take a lot of pride in putting the best(yea I'm biased) in the hands of the average worker/hunter. We have been talking about it but no decision yet. Trying to make some improvements in the proskinners. Personally I would discontinue them but they are great for processing and thats all I use them for. Trappers will stay the same.
Maybe a fillet knife. He cut 15 yesterday.
This was the first year that I had raw steel in my hands before Jan 1. Have a bunch ready to fire and some are sold.
Thanks for the 2008 orders. Hope you were pleased with the knives you received. 2009 is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you....................dave

#921577 - 01/02/09 10:52 AM Re: Intrducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Tha_edge]
TroyBoy Offline
Seasoned Member

Dave,
I would like to buy a knife for my 12 yr old for his birthday in June and was wondering what you could build with a regular handle that would work as he grows. I was thinking of a single curved trapper but let me know what you could do. I will also be ordering my Elk knife at the same time.

#921578 - 01/02/09 04:41 PM Re: Introducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: TroyBoy]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

Troy. The trapper set or just one of them would be the way to go. After he is full grown, then we could build one to fit the hand.
Has your dad had the opportunity to use his? Even after making over 4000 knives you always wonder if you got everything just right. Trying to rebuild the inventory now. Fired some today and will fire again tomorrow. Hope to have a batch ready to cryo when we leave to go elk hunting in 3 weeks.
Dave

Edited by Tha_edge (01/02/09 04:43 PM)

#921579 - 01/02/09 07:19 PM Re: Introducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Tha_edge]
TroyBoy Offline
Seasoned Member

My Dad used his on 3 deer and could use a touch up but it is still sharp. I used it to skin my brothers deer and could not believe how much easier it is to skin with a sharp knife. I think I will order a single curved trapper knife for my boy. Will this work fine to skin deer? I will let you know the colors and my hand size. I will email you the details probably later tonight or tomorrow.
Thanks,
Troy

#921580 - 01/03/09 10:52 PM Re: Introducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: TroyBoy]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

Don't need hand size for the trappers. They work on about anything and the curved is the best for skinning. With your discount they are $75 with a sheath that has a flap. I would recommend it. Right or left side for the sheath. Only have 3 knives left and none of the straight trappers. We fired 15 straight yesterday and 15 curved today. Trying to get the other 30 shaped and fired before we go elk hunting so they can cryo them. Worked on the new proskinners for the past 4 days and will have 16 of them ready to fire sometime Monday. Worst part about selling knives is building the inventory back up.
On your dads knife, you might try dragging it backwards on a piece of wood. Straighten the edge. Good luck.
Dave

#921581 - 01/04/09 10:15 PM Re: Introducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Tha_edge]
TroyBoy Offline
Seasoned Member

Order sent by email.
Thanks,
Troy

#921582 - 01/15/09 10:13 PM Re: Introducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: TroyBoy]
ThJudg Offline

Loc: Missouri
Gentlemen,

If you're reading this far down in this post, you have no doubt read all the good things said about Dave McCroskey and his knives. In this day and age you never know who to trust and who not to, but in this case I can assure you that Dave is one of the finest people that you will ever meet and his knives are second to none. I have had one for several years and it still gives me the "willies" to even take it out of the sheath. His knives are so sharp that if you swing it thru the air you can hear the molecules screaming as it cuts through them. Ok, maybe it's not that sharp, but darn near. As others have said, you just won't believe it.

I had the pleasure to meet Dave at a Predator Calling show in Kansas City last year, and let me assure you, he's the real deal. One of my goals is to go to Oklahoma and visit with Dave and see his operation in the very near future, and I would imagine I will come home with some new knives.

So, if you have even the slighest inclination to buy a knife from Dave, you can do so with the utmost confidence.

ThJudg (Roger)

#921583 - 01/15/09 11:41 PM Re: Introducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: ThJudg]
J. Holly Offline
Die Hard Member III

Let us know when you are coming in....I am about 3 miles away....and we can grab a burger or something!!

#921584 - 01/16/09 01:57 PM Re: Introducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: J. Holly]
ThJudg Offline

Loc: Missouri
Thanks for the invite, I may just do that. Needless to say it's going to have to warm up a bit from the -5 we had the other day, but it's supposed to improve before too long.

If you want to PM me your contact info I'll keep you posted.

ThJudg (Roger)

#921585 - 01/16/09 06:37 PM Re: Introducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: ThJudg]
TroyBoy Offline
Seasoned Member

Got the two knives yesterday. Major wow factor! Love the colors and sharp!!! Will have to wait until June to give the knife to my boy for his birthday. I thought he needed a good knife for our WY antelope this fall. Thanks for a great pair of knives. I like the curved skinner so well I may have to order one for myself.
Thanks,
Troy

#921586 - 01/16/09 10:30 PM Re: Introducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: TroyBoy]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

Glad you got them Troy. How did the elk fit? Can't believe that I had over 90 of those trappers last Sept. but am out now.
Corky said that we delivered 142 knives in December alone. Its Jan 16, and we have fired 112 this year.
We leave to hunt elk next thursday and I will finally get some R&R. Can't wait to try a couple of new ones.
Dave

#921587 - 01/16/09 10:39 PM Re: Introducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Tha_edge]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the kind words Roger. Come on down and we will have some fun with Jeff. Eating is good and there is always some hot steel.
Dave

#921588 - 01/21/09 06:18 PM Re: Introducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Tha_edge]
TroyBoy Offline
Seasoned Member

Dave,
The Elk knife fit great. I have been showing all my friends my knife, probably will lead to some more work for ya! Thanks for a great pair of knives.
Troy

#921589 - 02/06/09 10:15 AM Re: Introducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: TroyBoy]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

Just a heads up. Just got 155 back from being cryoed and we branded them. They are in the drawers. We were out of some sizes with the Nov-Dec run of 200+ knives going out. We have most sizes and plenty of trappers(60). Well actually down to 49 now. Corky has over 100 for me to rough shape and a few elk knives to clean up that he fired Monday. He has paring knives also in the walnut or oak stands.
Worst part about our knives is that they are "addictive." Will be finishing 5 today and that makes 13 this week.
Thanks............Dave

#921590 - 04/20/09 07:19 PM Re: Introducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Tha_edge]
Mason_Jarr Offline
Die Hard Member II

I just got finished with a 5 week road trip that included a stop in Stillwater, OK to visit Dave at his home. I wanted to have him touch up my knives since I'd used them pretty hard during trapping season. In short order he had them "dangerously" sharp again. I wanted to see him put the bevel on one of the blanks he had in the shop, but didn't think I'd have enough time. I was wrong. Dave had that thing shaped and ready to go into the oven in 8 minutes! No kidding......I timed him. The bevel was perfect and the cutting edge was perfectly true. This was all done by sight without the aid of any guides. This man definitely knows how to build a knife and is a great guy to boot. I'm glad I was able to stop by his house, but he had a new design in the works and I'm sure I'll have to have one!

#921591 - 04/23/09 10:54 AM Re: Introducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Mason_Jarr]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

Mike. It was good to meet you and visit although brief. Been real busy as Corky fired 21 yesterday and 23 today. All the blanks that were laying there have been shaped and fired. Clean-up starts for those. Remember the drawer that had all the trapper blanks? They are all gone but 3. Trying to get some more trappers shaped. There are 60 going over for cryo next week and another 60 trappers have been cleaned, milled and drilled. Next time I get up there, I will rough shape and he will file the notch. Then they will get shaped and fired sometime. There is over 130 knives to cryo next week with only 60 of them trappers.
Hardness is still up there. Picked up a proskinner Monday to put a name on it and it was 66.1Rc.
As you found out "hardness does make a difference." How can you explain "SHARP" when you using super hard materials.
Got to get back out there and finish carving finger grooves and hand sanding on the 9 I started this morning Will ship them this afternoon. Only have 27 laying here with names on them ready for handles and no end in sight. Next time you come, plan on staying and seeing the whole operation. Right now I agree with Corky and am about ready to just quit making these knives. Just too much work.
Glad you had a safe trip back.
dave

#921592 - 04/25/09 02:09 PM Re: Introducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Tha_edge]
bearmanric Offline

Dave is a great guy. i was lucky enough to have been able to meet him. not sure if i have the pro skinner. will geet another knife soon. going to hun idaho soon for spring bear and i hope wolf in september. have three great knive's now. was sick alot last year. i'll get more bear calling in this year. take care. Rick

#921593 - 04/28/09 10:12 PM Re: Introducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: bearmanric]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

Have you got blood on any of your knives yet Rick? It's OK as long as it's not yours. Would love to see the smile on your face the first time you use one of our knives.
Had a gentleman buy the trapper set 3 weeks ago and said they were going to a high fence area that weekend. Saw him out turkey hunting last Saturday and he said the curved trapper had field dressed and skinned one bison, two elk, and one turkey. Still shave!!!!
Our knives are addictive..........

dave

#921594 - 04/28/09 11:20 PM Re: Introducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Tha_edge]
Joel Hughes Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: tx

Edited by Joel Hughes (09/01/09 10:05 AM)

#921595 - 04/28/09 11:51 PM Re: Introducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: Joel Hughes]
RagnCajn Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Shreveport, LA
Iwon a knife set from Dave at the annual Okla hunt. I have never bought a sharper knife. I have not had a chance to test it yet due to getting it after hunting season. I surely think it will be up to the task.

#921596 - 04/29/09 08:11 AM Re: Introducing McCroskey Custom Knives [Re: RagnCajn]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

Had a guy drop and catch one a few years back. He looked and felt very lucky to not get bitten. He laid the knife down and then saw a drop of blood. On futher inspection, he realize that he had a trip to the ER in the very near future. He called me as soon as he arrived at home to tell me about the 17 stitches that he received for the effort. He made a decision to let future "uh-ohs" hit the floor. We can fix 'em.
dave

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.