Homemade tanning/fur-treating methods?

PrimosPartner

I was just wondering what's the easiest way to treat a fur without having to go all out and buy expensive tanning kits? Basically I'm getting ready to get a couple coyotes this weekend, possibly some raccoons or jackrabbits, and I was wondering if there's any good little do-it-yourself, around the house ingrediants/methods or ingrediants I can pick up at any local store like Wal-Mart to treat a fur. Not looking to sell these furs, but I want to be able to preserve them if they're worth the work.

Rittels kits are without a doubt the easiest most fool-proof thing going for the home tanner.
You can do a home-tan with salt,vinegar,alum and neatsfoot oil as well.

Quote:
Rittels kits are without a doubt the easiest most fool-proof thing going for the home tanner.

will the hides be flexible, or will they be stiff? like i said, im not trying to make any money off them. just a hobby for the ones worth skinning. anyone have a link where i can see the steps of tanning with around the house materials? i keep finding the links where you have to order everything and it seems like its tanning to sell. im really just looking for the most basic, yet working tanning procedure just for personal interest.

Quote:

thats the route I go.. very easy and is very affordable and I guess idiot proof /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

here is the alum and salt method straight from Field and Stream magazine

Tan the hide
Tanning a deer hide with the hair on is work, but manageable. Here's the drill: Stretch the skin over a two-by-six. With a dull knife held at 90 degrees to the surface, scrape off all remaining muscle, sinew, and membrane. Rub copious amounts of noniodized salt into the flesh side, roll it up, toss it in a plastic bag, and put it in the freezer. Two to three days later, let it thaw, flesh it again, and wash out the salt.

Prepare a tanning solution of 4 gallons of water, 1 pound of granulated alum, and 1 pound of salt. Soak the hide for a week, stirring once a day.

Remove it from the tanning bath and squeeze it dry. Lather the flesh side with neat's-foot oil; let this soak in for a few hours. Stretch the wet hide over a hard, straight edge such as a sawhorse or table, and work it back and forth, as hard as you can, to soften it. Use a rounded dowel or butter-knife handle for the hard-to-reach corners. If you think you're finished in less than eight hours, you're not.

Quote:
here is the alum and salt method straight from Field and Stream magazine....

thanks a bunch wolverine. i really appreciate the help. maybe i'll make you a pair of cottontail socks.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:
here is the alum and salt method straight from Field and Stream magazine....

thanks a bunch wolverine. i really appreciate the help. maybe i'll make you a pair of cottontail socks.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I would suggest trying it out on something small and not so very important to you to see if you like the way it turns out.

I did a red fox tail and it did fine on it.

I understand from a post about a month ago on this that you can send them away to be tanned fairly inexpensively, and the only work is getting it to the PO. FWIW.

Quote:
I understand from a post about a month ago on this that you can send them away to be tanned fairly inexpensively, and the only work is getting it to the PO. FWIW.

true, just depends on what you call inexpensive and if you want to wait 60-90 days sometimes longer..

quick question. when you strip the tail, how do you treat the tail? are you supposed to split it all the way to the tip and scrape and salt the inside or is there another method where you can treat the tails without having to split it all the way up?

you can do either, but I prefer to split. If you are selling, then you would want to keep it closed.. You can push salt down it with a clothes hanger or something similar..

Back