Mil-Dot ranging issues??

bbell

Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone has experience w/ mildots. I think I gotter figured out, but I can only find charts that work at the lowest power setting, what about ranging at 6 or 9 power using mildots. Also how tall is a coyote from top of back to bottom of chest. Just an average measurement. I was thinking 14", anyone think more like 12" or something. I need to get an average to make ranging a little easier. I really like the idea of using the mildots to range and shoot with. Thanks for any help.

Brandon

one mil is 3.6" at 100, 18" at 500, 36" at 1k, set something 18" square at 500 and recheck on different powers. Or make a measured graph and set it up at 100, then figure from there.
I don't think a yote would be over about 9"-10" back to brisket
RR

Thanks. Yeah i figured I would see how much 1 mil is with 9 power. one chart I read said .1 in, but that sounds to small so I will have to test it out. Now is that 9"-10" including fur because they look bigger then that. Thanks for your help.

Brandon

Yotes are the same back to brisket on average aprox 8" but that can vary since yotes do not get made on an assembly line. Most mil dots are adjusted for chambering 5.56 7.62 ect. So to modify for game these adjustments have got to be taken into consideration a human goes aprox 24" shoulder to middriff, a head is aprox 12". Deer run 16" back to brisket Elk 18-24", Prarie dogs stand 15 or 16". So depending on what chamber your shooting, what target your shooting at, these are the variables you have to figure in. And remeber every rifle shoots differant, and has differant likes and dislikes. You have to work up a rifle and load specific to the target your shooting and the conditions you are shooting in.

gov. trapper had 5 on his truck couple weeks ago I looked them over pretty good, I'd say 10" was it.
well if your scope is calibrated to mil on 3x, which doesn't seem right, most are calibrated to use the mil on the highest power, except military jobs which are set at 10x, and a mil is 3.6" on 3x, then it should be 3.6/2= 1.8" at 6x, and 3.6/3=1.2" at 9x
RR

bbell,
Trying to mil range & calculate distance to a constantly moving coyote under field conditions is really stacking the odds against you as a shooter.

I like the idea & challenge of reticle ranging alot but the system is simply is not practical or conducive to killing coyotes. I say this based on kicking the idea around myself.
At the very least, a FFP optic should be employed so that you could range with your reticle at any power. And ideally, your turrets should match you reticle subtension units...MOA/MOA or mil/mil to keep the math easy.

Also, the constant variable of the yote's actual size could skew your numbers.

Lastly, you'd still need to do the math in your head quickly & accurately...
See where I'm going with this???

MUCH more effective would be to use a laser range finder to measure landmarks BEFORE you start calling & remember those distances. If a yote hangs up out there a ways, you can "swag" the distance based on your known ranged landmarks and let one go.

If you are sniping them at distance without calling, then laser range , dial or holdover & knock'em down...

Personally, I sight in @ 200yds and know what my load is doing closer in & beyond to keep the shooting part as efficient as possible...

the only thing I use a mil-dot for is judgeing the spread of a bucks rack.
range them with a LRF first, then check the width in mils to give it a rough estimate.
RR

Put target turrets on the mil dot scope and then you can use what ever power setting and change the clicks to be dead on, I use mil dots mainly for windage and you can figure that out at the range easy enough, I use a leica range finder for distance and have mt presets written inside the scope cap quicker and easier, but once you see how the mils work l-r windage is a little easier for sure.

Good info. I can't afford a range finder right now so I am trying to make due. And yeah it is at 9x not 3x, it was wrong on the chart from the company. I am going to a long distance range with in the next week or so. I am going to do some experimenting there. So I will have some groups hopefully and some first hand experience with this stuff. I wanna keep at it a bit cause this stuff is pretty interesting. Thanks for all the help.

Brandon

Back