Building a custom rifle.......

blueraider54

Good morning to all,,,,,,I am a new poster on this site and was wondering if I could "pick a few brains" that are much more knowlegeable than myself. I am thinking about having someone build me my first custom rifle in a 17 rem. I currently shoot CZ, Tikka and Remington. I love shooting and handling the CZ, but the Sako action is far superior. I want to use this gun for calling and maybe someday prarie dogs. What action, barrel, and stock setup will work? I don't mind carrying a little extra weight so I am considering a varmint barrel,,,,,,Many thanks,,,TB

I will suggest to you that you start w/a good ole remmy action w/an oversized recoil lug that has been touched up by a reputable Smith' unless you want to go all out w/a custom action. I wouldn't go the custom action route for a calling stick IMHO. Barrels I like Krieger, Broughton and Bartlein, not necessarily in that order. Stock offerings are limitless and that is something you'll need to do on your own for fit and feel. Don't forget the trigger.

Since I don't like to assume anything. Let me ask you a question.
Do you reload???
If you don't, a custom rifle would be a waste.IMHO
Later
DF2

Oh yeah! Welcome to the board

Last edited:
I have had 3 full blown custom rifles built, all on 700 actions, smiths like to work on them, lots of aftermarket parts, just a lil trueing work and they are very accurate. as for barrels, I know a guy who builds extreme range hunting rifles, he states his rifles must shoot 1" or very close to it at 500 yards or they won't leave his shop, he reccomends lilja, broughton, kreigor, and rock creek. for hunting a good smith can tune a factory 700 trigger and make it pretty sweet
RR

My heavy barrel "varmint" rifle weighs 11 lbs. If your going to shoot PD's, you will almost certainly want a heavy barrel but you may not want it for a carry rifle in brush.
I know this is way off base from what your asking but consider a nice AR-15 with 2 different uppers. You can have one thats 16-18" with a thinner profile for calling and then slap on a heavy barrel upper for the dog fields.

You might want to keep in mind that a calling rifle and a PD rifle are usually two different critters. They have different functions to fill and these though not mutually exclusive do differ.

Calling rifles need to be light enough to pack to a bunch of stands and be accurate enough to kill coyotes out to 350 yards. Their usually shot off hand or supported with a sitdown bipod or a set of shooting sticks. They don't need to be able to shoot several hundred rounds a day with the attendant cooling problems.

PD rifles don't need to be light and heavy barrels that will take multiple rounds a day are better. Accuracy of a PD rifles needs to be excellent to handle coke bottle sized targets out to 400 yards plus.

Something along the lines of the Rem model 7 or the CZ American with a low power variable are the epitome of predator calling rifles. Light and accurate and with the ability to pick up on fast targets at ranges from 15 yards to 400 yards.

Here's what I'm using and at 8.5 pounds loaded and scoped it's just at the edge of being light enough to pack.

coyotesetup.jpg

On the other hand a rifle more in the style of the heavy barrel Rem 700 VLS with it's 26 inch heavy barrel and a good high power variable such as the 6 by 24 on this one works much better for the fixed stands and portable benches lots of guys use for PD and ground squirrel hunting.

700vls.jpg

My 2 cents.

If you truly want a custom rifle use a Bat or Stiller action and the Blue Printing and Truing part is already done. Barrel,Kriger should be your first choice with Hart next. Stock should start and end with McMillan. Trigger, Jewel. Now with that said the most important part of the deal is the smith you use to put it together and believe me, most any smith can put together a rifle that will group under a inch , it is when you get under the 1/2 inch mark consistant this separates the really great ones from the average. Just do your homework when picking a gunsmith for a custom rifle. These days most factory rifles come close to full out custom jobs and for the money are the best bet for the average hunter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
I have had 3 full blown custom rifles built, all on 700 actions, smiths like to work on them, lots of aftermarket parts, just a lil trueing work and they are very accurate. as for barrels, I know a guy who builds extreme range hunting rifles, he states his rifles must shoot 1" or very close to it at 500 yards or they won't leave his shop, he reccomends lilja, broughton, kreigor, and rock creek. for hunting a good smith can tune a factory 700 trigger and make it pretty sweet
RR

I would love to own a rifle that would shoot 1" groups at 500 yards. As would everyone else that shoots long range comptition. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Thanks for all the comments,,,,I needed to give more info to help myself out. I am an avid reloader and will be reloading myself for this new project. My main goal with this rifle is to punch paper and call coyotes with. I want a real tack driver even though I know it's not needed. I also like the feel of thumb hole stocks and would like to incorporate it into my plans. I know production rifles will do all these things, but I want to give a custom rifle a try. I can always grab another rifle out of the safe if conditions arent right for this new toy. I too would love to have a 1 inch group at 500 yards, but then again we are talking about a 17. The payoff will be being able to watch the impact.......thanks again....TB

well dan, build you one, the statement was made to exemplify what barrels a world class smith has confidance in, I bought one of his rifles and his rifle made a believer out of me.
RR

One more question. Why , if your going full custom would you want to go with a stock factory chambering in .172?? Why not go with a 17 predator--17/223(practical)--17/222 --17/204 or one of the other varients of the fine little 17 round..
To get good 17 caliber brass you need to make it yourself. There in lies the fun factor of a custom built rifle..
I have a Rem 700 with a Shilen 20 VT barrel and half the fun is making and shooting the brass..(Well sort of)
To me true custom means something you can't buy off the shelf and that includes loaded amunition and brass..
I do beleave youre on the right track, but whatever you do in 17 caliber get a 1x9 twist so you can shoot the 30 grain bullets. They are DRT on coyotes at those speeds.

I would go to a 17/233 practical just for the brass reason. I do have two 17 rem's but the amount of brass needed when going out popping PD's is much more expensive than 223 brass. Just a thought.

Quote:
RR

He must have a lot on back order then, to get e v e r y single one to shoot 1 inch at 500. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I think a record was set for 600yd BR not to long ago...though they are always being broken. If I remember correctly the group measured .597". That is simply amazing at that distance. I want that smiths' number. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

What Droopy said!

I have a 17 Rem that I just plain love. I have taken hundreds of ground squirrels with it as well as praire dogs. Got one last year at 400 yards. What fun!

But with brass currently at over $40 a hundred for the 17 Remmy, I would certainly look to the 17/223 or the 17/204. The 17/223 is a snap to form, and brass is dirt cheap compared to the 17 Rem. Velocities are almost the same.

The nice thing about a custom gun is to make it just the way you want it. If I felt that I needed another 17 centerfire, I would look no further than a 17/223.

OH- and a Krieger barrel. May as well get one of the very best, if not THE best. My gunsmith that is known for building benchguns just loves Krieger barrels. He built me a 220 Swift with one- any boy howdy will it ever shoot!

Thanks for all the replies,,,,,,,,,,I always have wanted a 17 caliber rifle of some sort. I had never considered making my own brass. Is it easy making the 17/223 brass work? I'm pretty green here having only reloaded factory brass. What kind of speed are you guys seeing with that 30 grn bullet? I don't have to be able to buy it off the shelf. I just want a good shooting 17 that I can work with....and not be disappointed because this will be a chunk of change....thanks again,,,TB

Kirby Allen of Allen precision Shooting.
Kirby shot the first 3 shots from the rifle, the first shot flyer due to oil in the freshly machined barrel shot .6" here are shots 4,5,6 this is from a rifle that shoots powder charges of 95-110 gr.
fireformgroup7mmAM.jpg

RR

Quote:
If you truly want a custom rifle use a Bat or Stiller action and the Blue Printing and Truing part is already done. Barrel,Kriger should be your first choice with Hart next. Stock should start and end with McMillan. Trigger, Jewel. Now with that said the most important part of the deal is the smith you use to put it together and believe me, most any smith can put together a rifle that will group under a inch , it is when you get under the 1/2 inch mark consistant this separates the really great ones from the average. Just do your homework when picking a gunsmith for a custom rifle. These days most factory rifles come close to full out custom jobs and for the money are the best bet for the average hunter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Stiller actions have been largely unimpressive to date for all I know. BAT is in a COMPLETELY different league and should not even be mentioned in the same sentence, IMO. A Stiller is not one bit better than a trued/sleeved Rem 700. BAT is for BR rifles, not hunting rigs, IMO.

My personal choice would be a trued up Remmy 700. If you choose to go with a custom action, I'd go with a Surgeon.....

Quote:
the 17 rem and the 204 are the same case!
RR

Ah, no. They are not. I have a 17 Rem and a 204 Ruger and for sure they are not the came exact case. You can make 17 Rem from the 204 but not vice versa.

Back