Ruger 10/22 Conversion to .17

1S1K

Anyone done one? If so, how'd you like it. How difficult was it?
I've got a spare 10/22 that I'm going to trick out a bit and trying to decide if I want to go with a .17 or just stick with the .22 and go from there.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tim

I have never done it but from what I read it is pretty simple. I think all you need is a 17 mach 2 barrel. Someone correct me if I am wrong. If you decide to do it go with a Green Mountain barrel. I have had a few and they are great.

coyoteman23

I've got a conversion..I bought some of the Volquartsen stuff $$.

I bought the fat stainless barrel, and a machined bolt, which included a stronger spring.

I believe there is something to do with the Mach2 having a bit more recoil, so a stouter spring was needed.

I can't get the 17 mach2 to feed out of 25rd. butlercreek mags because of the cartridges bottle neck, this mag was designed for a straight wall case. So the rotary 10 round is what I use.

Overall its accurate and fun to shoot, and makes this distinct "pop" when you hit a fuzzy little squirrel. Its kinda neat.
100_0171.jpg

100_0170.jpg

Last edited:
I've had one for a few years. If you are into the carbon fiber barrels, check out Ramshot Acculine barrels. I have one in .22lr and .17M2 and they are both accurate shooters as well as helping build a 'feather weight' rifle.

Ruger1022R.jpg

.17M2
Ruger1022s004.jpg

I found that the .17M2 shoots so flat that at 100yds, I had to turn my scope down 35 clicks... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

what is the effective range of a 17 m2 for critters like blackbirds and pigeons?

also, will this work for my ruger 77/22? i dont have a 10/22.

I have shot squirrels quite effectivley to 144 yards, then my group seems to open up more after that point.

I have shot a crow at 100 yards and dropped him right out of the tree.

I believe with a 77/22 its just a drop in barrel procedure and nothing else.

YES...your 77/22 will work for a Mach2 conversion. It's simply a barrel exchange.

BUT...UNLIKE SOME ONE SAID ABOVE, with the 10/22 you can't simply go get a barrel and "slap it in"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

On a 10/22.....the bolt has to have modifications also to make the rifle safe to shoot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

More info than you can digest is available at www.rimfirecentral.com

Last edited:
I shot a feral cat at about 130 yards he kept booking, especially after the machine gun fire nipping his tail.

I hit a coyote at less than 100 he kept running, so I wouldnt reccomend it on anything big.

Quote:
I found that the .17M2 shoots so flat that at 100yds, I had to turn my scope down 35 clicks... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bill, that's 4.38" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Nobody told me that the M2 defied gravity! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sure does make you aware of the "rainbow effect" that you get with a 22LR, huh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

what about converting a 77/22 to 17 hmr? i know it can be done with a 22 magnum but with a bolt action 22lr can i convert it to 17 hmr instead of m2?

I don't believe that the 77/22LR action will accept the extra cartridge length. The magazine probably won't fit either.

But you better check further, because I'm not sure about that particular switch.

You don't want that magnum, boy that ammo is going to cost ya.

My dads got the magnum, while it extends the distance and blows up stuff like you wont believe. It's hard to justify the price distance for what I use it for. But, then again you have some heavier constructed bullets for small game.

I have a 10/22M converted to 17HMR by Clarks Custom Guns. I was a gift from a great friend. The accuracy is good and it is fun to shoot. My next trip to TX after Jackrabbits should be an eyeopener.

On converting a LR to a Mag case, I don not know of any way to do that. The parent cartridge and bolt should remain the same.

Oh jackrabbits are a blast with this little cartridge, I forgot about that. Yeah it makes a mess.

I read today on Rimfire central about the 77/22 diffrences in bolts between the magnum and standard 22LR and the exterior dimensions are all the same, except a slot on the bottom of the bolt is longer on the magnum, read that site HIDALGO posted I found it in the 77/22 section.

Back