R-15 range report # 2

Byron South

Well after posting those groups the other day I decided to scrub it down, put more magnification on and see what I could wring out of it today.

First things first though. Sam and I made a couple of stands this morning and took this large male. The footage is pretty cool with all the fog.

Sam3-1-08.jpg

After this morning hunt I cleaned her real well and switched scopes. Those Larue mounts sure make it easy as I already had a 3.5-10X VXII in a mount and had already had it sighted in. Swithching the two out took less time than for me to type this (I type with two fingers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

All shots were with 55 grain accutip-v's

The first group was high but a very impresive .43.
DSC01616.jpg

I dialed it to the center and fired a total of 8 more groups. I decide to got with 3 shot groups as not to warn the gun to fast and to save on ammo.

Here are all the groups fired. I cut them out so I could superimpose them over one target to get the size of the group for the intire range session.
DSC01619.jpg

I used an ink pen to color in the holes while laying the targets over this target. I doubt many coyotes will slip through that.
DSC01617.jpg

The groups averaged .89 fron a total of 9 groups. The barrel did get a little warm but not bad to the touch. The group for the total of the 24 shots after the scope adjustment was 1.55

To my way of thinking, that is pretty dang good for a rifle that weighs under 7 pounds. Heck that is pretty good for any factory rifle firing factory ammunition.
DSC01622.jpg

Good Hunting and God Bless,

Byron

Nicely done! Thanks for posting for those of us that our curious. I'm waiting until my local shop has them in to purchase a .223 in an 18" barrel.

Good report, glad you posted. Can't wait for them to start showing up in the stores so I can get a feel of them. With a pound difference between the 18 and the 22" I'm leaning towards the 18. From what you posted here with your targets I'd say its a real shooter!
Tim

Good shooting AR to be using factory ammo. That is one big coyote . What is the weight of your rifle with scope and what is the quality of the Trigger supplied with the rifle ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I noticed Remington raised the Retail Price by over $100.00 on their website before they even got released. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Quote:
I noticed Remington raised the Retail Price by over $100.00 on their website before they even got released. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I bet the Remington Marketing People track all the feedback on the Internet about their products and when they get multiple positive feed-backs they raise their prices in accordance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

In the newest SHOOTING TIMES mag I have, a fella had a short article on the carbine w/collapsable stock in the .204. He said when he was doing the testing, winds were a blowin'(some 40mph gusts). He managed to put out some groups, I think he averaged like an inch and a half or close to that. Mags at work so I can't say for sure. For those wondering about the trigger, he reported 4lbs 6oz. He said it had a little bit of take up but everything was beautiful beyond that. As I've stated before, I take all this info in, but it has no effect on me as far as March 15th goes. Either I'm going to the store to find they're in and ones comin home, or its getting paid for, only to come home when it does arrive. Either way...... . . MINE
I'm just gonna get the 22" standard type though. Packin' weight ain't a big deal to me. When I'm waterfowling, I'm usually movin'around alot. Totin' around my 11lb. 10Ga w/ a half case of shells and a dozen dead snows for a half mile is heavey. A Rem R-15 scoped w/bipod sling, full 20 round clip and a 15-20lb coyote behind me on my deer drag would be more than welcome on any stand, any time!
Hey good hunting all,
Judd

Back