Badger hunting? Where, when and how?

PrimosPartner

Pretty much what the title says. I've never seen a badger in real life and thought it'd be fun to find/shoot one. I live in San Diego, CA and do almost all of my hunting in El Centro, CA (since there's pretty much NOWHERE to hunt in san diego). Any wanna lend me some tips/spots to find badgers?

I dont know we dont have very many around here but I did manage to see two while bow hunting this year. I have seen them called in on predator movies, but I have never called one up.

We have tons of badgers around here but rarely ever see them except at night to bad we cant hunt at night here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gifBut if you can hunt at night where you live that might be your best bet.I saw probably 15 dens in the ditch and on the edge of fields today.I didnt see any badgers though.I mainly hunt them by scouting out in prairie dog towns to find their dens.I just remember where they are and hope to catch them out sunning themselves on a cold but sunny day.I have heard that calling them out with high pitched distress sounds works but I havent ever tryed it before but I plan on trying it one of these days.Look for the dens in prairie dog towns and low cut fields.Badgers also like to dig under irrogation pipes and farm equipment leaving tractors and such useless so you might be able to get permission from a farmer by telling him your wanting to shoot badgers.I know alot of farmers hate them because if they dig under a tractor tire the tractor becomes stuck.They like eating rats,mice,ground squirrels and even rattlesnakes.So if you know of a place that has alot of ground squirrels that might be a good place to look.I hope this helps you at all and another thing: be careful I have heard they get pretty mean when cornered so make sure their dead before you pick em up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifGood luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

First off, there are no prairie dog towns in San Diego county or any other county in California.

Ground squirrels abound in many areas of San Diego county, where you have ground squirrels it's a good bet you'll have badgers.

Badgers are normally nocturnal but well come out during the day on occasion. They can be called,I know a few guys that have called badgers. Of the ones I've killed none were called.

The best way to get a badger is do some night hunting. I have not killed what I'd call alot of badger, but I've killed more then my share. Almost all were taken at night........Good luck

Palisade Golf course in central utah. Just be quick about it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
First off, there are no prairie dog towns in San Diego county or any other county in California.

Ground squirrels abound in many areas of San Diego county, where you have ground squirrels it's a good bet you'll have badgers.

I can't find any places in san diego or el centro that have a lot of ground squirrels. i don't really know any spots you can legally hunt in san diego anyways.

Quote:
I can't find any places in san diego or el centro that have a lot of ground squirrels. i don't really know any spots you can legally hunt in san diego anyways.

There are ground squirrels all over San Diego county in the hills. The areas surrounding Hemet and Temecula are covered in Squirrels, you just have to get permission to hunt the places that hold them.

There is a National Forest right out your back door, not too mention the Bazillion acres of BLM in and around San Diego. Get a map or two and you'll be in business as far as hunting land goes.

You'll be hard pressed to find badgers anywhere in So. Cal. Once you get up past Bakersfield and in the So. San Joaquin Valley area you'll have a much better chance at finding a badger.

Killed this one in a PD town. Broad daylight. My dad and I actually watched him catch a prairie dog and haul it into the weeds. We went up to the landowners house to ask for permission and when we got back he was out again.

Mainly luck I guess................

[image]
100_1227.jpg
[/image]

We also got one on an elk hunt. Just sitting watching a park and it popped out.

PrimosPartner, I gave you good advice as did sorelosed, all you need to do is get a map and go hunting. In California you have tons of places to hunt.

I'm not trying to sound mean, I'm trying to help you. We are not here to lead you by the hand and show you a badger to kill ( they are not in season now anyways. )

You need to get out there and start looking. Find some ground squirrels and some badger holes, then you'll be in the money, it's that simple.

Nobody ever showed many of us anything, we had to learn this sport the hard way. You are lucky to have DVDs the Internet, Magazines and Books to give you advice.

Heed the advice and make it easy on yourself....Good luck to you.

Quote:
Badgers???? We don't need no stinking Badgers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Funniest movie ever made, Blazing Saddles.

That was my first thought also. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
The ones I've called and killed all came into a high pitched call.

Not to hijack your thread; but I'm curious too...

Just any high pitched call? Or is there a particular one, and what time of day is best?

Also, any specific area in E. Washington?

I've only seen one badger in my life. It crossed sr 24 in front of me, and I followed him out through the grass with a 9 iron. He stopped,turned around and kind of growled at me from about two yards, and knowing only their reputation; I had to reconsider due to my attire. (Was wearing shorts and sandals). I decided I needed either a 3 wood, or something that goes bang, so I let him go.

Very often out shooting prairie dogs I'll get a badger, sometimes a couple. You don't have pd's in Calif, but there are groundsquirrels. And where there are groundsquirrels, there'll be badgers. Remember if you're on private land always find out what the owner wants shot and what he wants left alone. Most farmers with squirrel problems will say kill the badgers too. But occasionally there'll be a farmer who puts up with badger holes and doesn't want them shot because they eat squirrels. Always check.

If you do go out make sure to check your game regs. A lot of states consider them "furbearing" animals and you need a special license and they may have a special season.

Back